What's new

Working mans straight razor

Im sure this topic has been beaten to death, so i apologize, but i am unsure of what to do.

I am looking for an upgrade of the used straight razor and shavette I have been using. I have been using the shavette if i dont have time to dedicate to stropping before a shave.

I am not looking for new shavette, but i am looking to upgrade my razor. I am looking for something new, not overly flashy, but something that has good quality steel and will last. I would like to stay middle of the road budget wise, i dont want to be cheap but not looking for a $500 custom razor.

I am looking for something readily available online from a reputable company, and i would prefer a 6/8 curved point.

There is a Dovo Col. Conk 6/8 on west coast shaving right now, and it seems to fit my criteria, but interested to hear if others have recommendations of maybe lesser know quality razors.

Thanks for your help!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In order of cost, I suggest one of the following (because I like timber scales):

I shave regularly with all four. All these SR's are ground from Japanese made and heat-treated steel. ACRM-2 is the cheapest, easy to hone and holds its edge well. The VG10-HZ is a harder steel, more corrosion resistant, a bit harder to hone and keeps its edge a bit better than the ACRM-2. The ACRO TH64 is similar to the VG10-HZ except that it has better corrosion resistance and a finer steel grain size. The ACRO TH70 is the same as the ACRO TH64 but with a much harder steel temper.

I tend to prefer the ACRM-2 and the ACRO TH70 the most.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I got myself a Gold Dollar a while back 6/8 round tip. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about and curiosity got the better of me. My first impression was that the scales were rediculously big and the steel was substantial. It had some random grind marks on the tang and was generic, stripped of any branding (a good thing). The geometry was off and it needed to be re worked, but that’s part of what I had signed on for. Oh, it was also very inexpensive. I now have a solid, no nonsense working man‘s razor that holds a fine edge IMHO.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I got myself a Gold Dollar a while back 6/8 round tip. ....
Yes I agree, a good working-man's straight razor. The Gold Dollar 208 is what I have and it's a good shaver. I am just not happy with the plastic scales.

I got mine because it has the @Slash McCoy seal of approval.

For lesser known higher quality, I'd seek out a Japanese straight razor from the popular auction site or maybe the BST here. They are usually made from exceptional steel. I haven't found a bad Japanese razor yet.
Neither have I!

The Austrlian hand made razors from the Proserpine Razor Company represent astounding value. Being custom you get what you want.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Honestly I would give the Conk a miss unless it was honed to shave readiness by someone you know and trust and is known in the community. The entry level Dovos leave a lot to be desired, considering their cost. They can be pretty wonky. The Conk, the "Best Quality", and somebody tell me different if it's not so, but I think the "Special" is cut from the same cloth. Now the steel of all Dovo razors is quite good. However, the grinding of the entry level razors can be very sucky, and the quality control, even worse. Lots of twisty warpy razors. On the other hand, once you get up into the middle price range, Dovos are pretty decent. I particularly like the Bismarck. You might have a look at www.thesuperiorshave.com and see if Jarrod has any. He hones every razor he sells, I think.

Oops that link doesn't work. Takes me to word press, whatever that is and whyever it is. Somebody post the right link, please.

Im out of the straight razor game...too high maintenance for me.
If I was a retired hedge fund guy, yes, bring it on – but as things stand,
I'll stick with my DE wolfmans and a Focus Shavette for the occasional
dance with danger.

But if I were to reconsider, I'd be looking for a nice Japanese
one as suggested. Or something readymade by Brian Brown Razors,
although I understand he may be on some sort of self imposed sabbatical.

In retrospect, I'd also be looking at a 5/8 or 6/8 as anything bigger, I feel, would
be huge.

A working man has money to spend but not money to waste. In this situation my vote goes to Ralf Aust. He makes fantastic razors that are finished well and shave great. His razors represent excellent value and you will not be rush to get an upgrade. You could be happy with one of these for a long time. At the same time they are easily replaceable so you won’t feel bad practicing on it like you might with an out of production, rare, antique. I’d imagine that Ralf is getting close to retirement age now so it’s good to get in while you can.

I was looking for a working mans razor as well, and very happy with my modified gold dollar. The issues with the blade have been sorted out by someone that knows that they are doing, and it was rescaled as well. Spent under 40 bucks. So far it's held its edge just fine.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Out of curiosity, I just went to the website and it's broken. Does anyone know how to get in touch with the owner to let him know?

The URL is broken. A DNS issue. I was able to get in via his facebook page. His site is changed a lot since last time I saw it. I don't know what is going on, some changes for sure. Lots of controversy on another straight razor forum. What I do know for sure is that I have bought from him twice, prices were good on what I got, and the razors were honed. Nothing like a Method edge, but definitely shave ready. I would not have a problem with buying from him again though I might request no honing, or maybe just bevel setting on a flat stone. A beginner should just let him hone the razor as he sees fit and I will personally guarantee that it will shave. Anyway, maybe wait a couple of weeks and see if the site stays up or not, and if the URL gets fixed to an IP or not.

Try this one:

I bought a 6/8 Ralf Aust from Maggards before Christmas and have been very pleased with the way it shaves. Have only balsa/diamond and leather stropped and it seems to be holding a good edge.
A working man has money to spend but not money to waste. In this situation my vote goes to Ralf Aust. He makes fantastic razors that are finished well and shave great. His razors represent excellent value and you will not be rush to get an upgrade. You could be happy with one of these for a long time. At the same time they are easily replaceable so you won’t feel bad practicing on it like you might with an out of production, rare, antique. I’d imagine that Ralf is getting close to retirement age now so it’s good to get in while you can.
Another vote for Ralf Aust.

I would check eBay. I purchased a brand new Boker stainless Made in Germany. For $45 shipped. You can’t beat that price On a working man’s budget. I hone the blade myself on a 12000 gr stone and it is one of the sharpest blades in my arsenal.

Chances are that the Col. Conk. razor is good to go and will serve you well. Many people started with them and everyone in that boat who I've talked to enjoyed that razor. I've honed a few - they take a good edge.
But is it the razor you really want? People tend to compromise a lot, too often, sometimes, when it comes to stuff like this. If the Conk speaks to you then that's that. I understand having certain parameters to meet and guidelines to live within - I also understand that waking up and looking at a razor that was chosen only because it ticks off all the boxes....well, that might not necessarily be the path to happiness. But everyone is different, so if it's just a practical solution to a void - then fine, the Conk will serve admirably.
Someone above mentioned a Bismark - I like mine a lot, the grind has nice flair and the steel is on point. Not too expensive and looks more expensive than it is. Win/win/win.
Cheap razors, meh - not interested and not impressed. I've had a ton of 'em and none suit me, not for any reason. I prefer items that have an interesting personality, some history, and factory baked-in style, flair, and intrinsic value.
I would check the BST - and be patient. I have seen some really sweet pieces of well honed history there that I can't imagine anyone not being able to find one that rocks their socks and fits their budget too.

Top Bottom