What's new

Working from home

I've been working at home a lot as well, so I'm no longer a daily shaver. However, because I'm not in a rush in the morning, I've gotten to enjoy a lot more leisurely shaves. So nice...

My health forced me into retirement sooner than I wanted, and I let myself wallow for MUCH too long. This place helped. But even though it's winter here, my toughest time of year, I'm getting better, one step at a time. Starting to build a routine. Anyone who thinks they are immune from mental health issues better pray that they're right!
My friend, nobody is immune. Mental health issues affect all age groups and all demographics. Be well, stay safe, and get outside if you can. I continue to wish you all the best life has to offer.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Working from home since last February when the first of our students started coming back from overseas with an odd set of symptoms. For many years I shaved electric, but usually on M/W/F mornings before work. After starting wet shaving I shaved on the same schedule, but left a little more time for it. (I can use a weed whacker and get a shave in 10 minutes. With a good slant it's about 35. Head shaver.)

When I started working from home I still shaved to the same schedule. Even if nobody sees you, you will still act differently if you're spruced up and ready for the day as opposed to still schlubbing around in your PJs. Besides -- this was and continues to be stressful. In my profession PTSD is a real thing, and I've been down that road a few times in my life. In my Shave Cave the pandemic does not exist, insurrections do not exist. What exists is an hour of "me time" when I can put aside all the stress and pain and concentrate on the tools and techniques of getting a shave by whatever method.

I've lately started to learn shavettes -- five shaves in so far and just had a good one yesterday. Wonder what tomorrow will bring?

Taking the time to have a nice shave and concentrate on those skills is a good support for me. Like some I'm coming close to retirement. Early! But I can't keep doing it at the same level any more. I want to spend a bit more time with my wife, and make some bread, and grow things, and shave. Further adventures await.

O.H.

I've been working at home since March except for 15 days in person. At first I made it point to shave every day. I'm still pretty good about it, 5 or 6 times a week, because it is enjoyable.

As the weeks turned into months, and now the months are almost a year, and it is mid-winter, it is harder and harder to keep the spirits up.

The people in this area are behaving like a bunch of barnyard animals. The bowling alleys, the bars, and the hospitals are full to overflowing. Very demoralizing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have made a conscious decision and effort to maintain standards while working at home. I rise in the morning at the regular time, I dress for work in the office as normal, and I shave in the same way that I always have, and maintain my usual good hygiene and grooming. I do not want to become one of those guys that turns into a mess and gains 40lbs due to working at home, I can see it happening to some of my colleagues. I work fixed hours at home so as to maintain a healthy work life balance, and I take daily exercise and spend quality time with my wife. If I let my physical standards slip, including shaving, then I fear that my mental health will soon begin to suffer and I will rapidly deteriorate. So far so good but to be honest I am starting to struggle a bit.
What @Eclipse Red Ring Is doing is VERY important to being successful with working from home.

I have been working from home now for a few decades. Having a good regular routine that maintains your physical standards, also maintains your mental health. Both of these then also help you maintain a high work standard.

I have also been doing the WFH thing since last March. I shave daily and have kept the same routine. The only exception is that instead of dressing for work, I dress casual.

I can't stand something on my face, it may be an obsessive-compulsive disorder. No matter where I am, the first thing I get up every day is to shave off my beard.

Wife and I moved into our new downsized home the last week in February. Shortened the work commute by more than an hour each way. A week later in March when COVID hit and our team made the decision to work from home for safety over the boss's objections. One cannot trust others to look out for your best health, especially a boss. The organization since decided to maintain the team remotely going forward. Our office lease is now gone which saved them a bundle.

I still shave daily but in the evening now. Still get up, clean up, get dressed business casual including shoes each morning. Make the bed, and commute to my home office. It is important to maintain a professional approach and keep regular "office hours" as others mentioned. My work schedule is fairly set with some flex and I enforce the boundaries when necessary.

Most of my team has maintained a professional approach. Only two have let themselves go. Personally I would be ashamed to attend a Zoom meeting in pjs. The team makes significant effort to keep connected with conference calls, phone calls, virtual happy hours, and a few of us social distance golf. The only negative from all this is a sensitivity to noise I guess from the physical isolation.

Have lost a total of 50 pounds, successfully reversed type 2 diabetes, and a number of other significant health improvements. I am maybe 6 years out from retirement and can't imagine going back into an office setting. Life is much better working remotely.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My friend, nobody is immune. Mental health issues affect all age groups and all demographics. Be well, stay safe, and get outside if you can. I continue to wish you all the best life has to offer.
Thank you, sincerely. I was a psychiatric nurse, and often said to my clients that it's not a long distance from one side of the table to the other. I told a client once that I was on antidepressants and he about fainted. He seemed at first to be disappointed that his nurse was on meds! But then he really (I believe) came to the point where he found hope that he could feel better if I could. So MUCH of nursing is empathy, when lots of people think it's about sympathy.

I miss that job EVERY single day. I am so blessed to be where I am, but I found out that I had WAY too much of my self worth tied up in work. Sorry for the ramblings my friends!

I used my time working from home to develop my SR shaving technique. The early shaves took a lot of time and not having to commute gave me the opportunity to practice more often.

Anyone who thinks they are immune from mental health issues better pray that they're right!

i am with you here pre lockdown i suffered from mild depression but was abble to keep it at bay due to work and the ability to visit with good company . now during the lock down i am having a hard time keeping afloat mentally as my previous mild depression is about 10x as bad but at least im still able to wake up and take a breath in the morning which to alot worse of than me is a good start .

My health forced me into retirement sooner than I wanted, and I let myself wallow for MUCH too long. This place helped. But even though it's winter here, my toughest time of year, I'm getting better, one step at a time. Starting to build a routine. Anyone who thinks they are immune from mental health issues better pray that they're right!
"Mens sana in corpore sano" as the saying goes. A physical routine confers a noticeable dividend to one's mind.

One cannot trust others to look out for your best health, especially a boss.

Weare a small company with fewer than 20 employees. When COVID hit, we worked from home from March to June. Then the boss couldn’t stand it anymore and called us all back in. When COVID numbers grew higher in the fall, he still would not let us work from home. Then two employees came down with COVID and several of us were exposed. We went back to working at home for one month and were again called back in. He can’t stand that he can’t just pop in on any of us anytime he pleases. It’s either a lack of trust or lack of control, and I can’t figure out which one it is. Probably both.

All the other employees are in their 20’s and 30’s. I’ll be 69 in March and have had a triple bypass, am over, and am borderline diabetic. I asked if I could continue to work from home given my risks and was told no. I would go find another job, but who is going to hire someone my age for anything more than minimum wage and part time.

Hmmm... Hate y'all. :prrr:

I'm a 48 y/o research nurse, insulin dependent 46 of those years. Worked in-patient starting in March on the remdesevir study, back to clinic about June to start with the Pfizer & Moderna vaccine studies. We have jokes about this- admin people at our facility received green t-shirts, direct-care received blue.

Blue to Green: "Oh, so you're telling everyone you spent last year in your underwear, playing Playstation...?"
:c1:

Seriously, a good daily shave has been part of maintaining sanity. In a crazy world, its the one thing over which you have absolute control.

Hmmm... Hate y'all. :prrr:

I'm a 48 y/o research nurse, insulin dependent 46 of those years. Worked in-patient starting in March on the remdesevir study, back to clinic about June to start with the Pfizer & Moderna vaccine studies. We have jokes about this- admin people at our facility received green t-shirts, direct-care received blue.

Blue to Green: "Oh, so you're telling everyone you spent last year in your underwear, playing Playstation...?"
:c1:

Seriously, a good daily shave has been part of maintaining sanity. In a crazy world, its the one thing over which you have absolute control.
I hope your patients didn't receive red t-shirts :)

Top Bottom