What's new

Work Pants Recommendation

Hi guys! I'm looking for a new pair of work pants. I have been using jeans in a carpenter style by Red Kap and Levi. They wear out too fast, developing small holes on seams.

I need a carpenter style to hold tools and I also need 7 belt loops to keep other items on the belt separated.

What do you guys recommend?

Pointer Brand indigo unwashed carpenter jeans. They start out tough. It takes a long time to break them and and wear them out. The problem is they are no longer cheap. I used them for years until the price went up. After the price went over 25 bucks a pair, I quit buying them.

I really like the double kneed Dickies. The only thing they’d lack and I don’t know if you use it is the hammer loop. They have a “cellphone” pocket, so they have ample pocket space. They seem to outlast jeans by a long stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 1960's and 70's I used to wear Ben Davis and Frisko black work jeans..They were made with 100% pure cotton sailcloth....I recently needed a few pairs of work pants and bought 2 pair of today's Ben Davis...These Ben's today are a 50-50 blend of cotton and polyester.....The workmanship is shoddy, nothing like the originals..I found the material to irritate the skin on my legs above the knee where they rub the most.I'm going back to either khakis or another all cotton work pant.

I'm going to try those two Brands since they have stores in my area. It would be nice to get my hands on them to gauge their durability.

Never wore Duluth Trading, but as you might have guessed, have worn Carhartt duck pants and jeans as well as many other Carhartt items (T-shirts, hoodies, regular and flannel shirts, bibs, coats, hats, caps, gloves, boots, etc.) for a long time. Both the duck pants and jeans have the seven belt loops you're looking for. Huge fan of their products. Over half of everything I own has a Carhartt label -- not just work clothing, but also casual/everyday wear. Very durable and comfortable. Would suggest joining their Loyalty Program to earn points if you start buying their stuff. I should work for the company since I'm practically a walking billboard for them! :001_smile

I have to wear FR outer layer. However I buy the Walmart wranglers for under my coveralls. They are heavier denim really cheap and get good mileage.

I have some Carhartt carpenter jeans. They wore thin in seat quickly. I have had better luck out of Wrangler carpenters from Walmart for about half the price.

I always had pretty good luck with Dickies work pants. Don't know if they have any styles with a carpenter loop though.

Carhartt double front duck carpenter pants. Or if its really hot out, carhartt carpenter blue jeans. The blue jeans are cooler as they are thinner, that said I get 3 years before the thighs wear thin. The double front pants last and last, bit can get hot.

No more work pants for me...

For actually working, I now overalls 100% of the time. Multiple pockets, hammer loops, etc.. They don't fall down and it's easier to move with them. There's a reason why all the farmers wear them still.... (aside from farming, they're mechanics, plumbers, carpenters... as well).

Check these guys out... made in the US.

#966 Made in USA Classic Blue Denim Button Fly Bib Overalls

My wife thinks I look ridiculous in them but for actually working there's nothing better.

A lot of jeans made today are junk.

I had a multiple pairs of Key work carpenter jeans when they were made in the USA. They lasted a very long time, were heavy weight, triple stitched with 7 belt loops and great pockets. I think they are now made in China so I can not speak of their current jeans but I think they changed their pocket configuration to be more narrow. You can still find USA made Key jeans on ebay at times.

Here is a good deal if they fit your needs.
80% off Key Other - Men’s Key Work Jeans 38 x 34 (#3) from Nicole ❤️'s closet on Poshmark

Texas Jeans makes some good carpenter jeans, heavy denim and triple stitched and still made in the USA. They aren't inexpensive but worth it, from what I have seen. I can't comment from personal experience but I have seen others who have been happy with them, they seem functional and have held up well. Good quality.

No more work pants for me...

For actually working, I now overalls 100% of the time. Multiple pockets, hammer loops, etc.. They don't fall down and it's easier to move with them. There's a reason why all the farmers wear them still.... (aside from farming, they're mechanics, plumbers, carpenters... as well).

My wife thinks I look ridiculous in them but for actually working there's nothing better.

Although I wear work pants the majority of the time, I wear bibs as well and couldn't agree more with your comments about wearing them. I wear bibs for functionality, just happen to like them, and they're comfortable. They're great over a flannel or hoodie such as this...
bib.jpg

Dickies or Red Cap. Two best out there. Also US Navy Officers wash Khaki pants are indestructible too. As is the shirts. Can wash them with rocks in the machine and they would still come out pressed.

Another vote for Carhart. I would also consider Filson (expensive but generally very durable products.)
Always wanted to get a pair of Filson pants, but as you pointed out BigJ, they are extremely expensive. Anyone have experience with them? Would like to know if they are worth the additional money.

Top Bottom