What's new

Words that need to make a comeback

1. Thank-you.. My son was taught to hold the door open for people coming in and out of stores. We were together yesterday and as entire family walked out as my son held the door. Not one of them said a thing, however an older man held the door for my son and when he said thanks ,the man looked stunned.
2. Could I please have that?..Instead of gimmie that..
3. You are welcome doesn't get much play either

1. Thank-you.. My son was taught to hold the door open for people coming in and out of stores. We were together yesterday and as entire family walked out as my son held the door. Not one of them said a thing, however an older man held the door for my son and when he said thanks ,the man looked stunned.

Very well said. Thank you for teaching the youngen right.

Deplumpify and deplumpification as in, "You know you need to deplunpify when the excess shaving lather lands on your gut and not in the sink."

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
That seems to happen quite a bit. When I hold the door for someone and they do not say "thank-you", I still say to them, "You're welcome" to remind them that I am not under their employment but rather extended an act of courtesy.

Some people really believe that it is their world and we are just living in it. :rolleyes:

Gadzooks
Egad
Forsooth
Boss (as in cool, "Did you see The Dark Knight?" "Yeah, it was boss!")

Someone mentioned lugubrious...I love that word.

Sorry, Jim. I beat ya to that one a few posts back. :tongue:
My apologies, good sir, I prostrate myself before thee and humbly seek thy
commiseration :001_smile

That seems to happen quite a bit. When I hold the door for someone and they do not say "thank-you", I still say to them, "You're welcome" to remind them that I am not under their employment but rather extended an act of courtesy.

Some people really believe that it is their world and we are just living in it. :rolleyes:

http://gentlemanbeggar.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/a-generation-of-affluence/
very good points, it's a sad, sad, sad, sad, sad world when we are surprised by an honest "thank you", "you're welcome", "yes/no sir/ma'am", etc.

here's some more words that, maybe not need to be in more common use as a term, but definitely in application:

- responsibility
- accountability
- common courtesy
- consequences
- discipline/punishment
- E Pluribus Unum
- Self Sacrifice
- Self Control
- Perseverence
- Integrity

and on a lighter note: ROLL TIDE!!!

Gadzooks
Egad
Forsooth
Boss (as in cool, "Did you see The Dark Knight?" "Yeah, it was boss!")

Someone mentioned lugubrious...I love that word.

I was the one who mentioned lugubrious.
Ironically I used to refer to my boss, as "our lugubrious leader". I don't think he ever bothered to look it up.

Negatory, good buddy. BTW "negatory" should probably make a comeback too. :biggrin:

"negatory" is in regular rotation of my very abridged vocabulary, as is Mamma Jamma, also previously mentioned, as is the "Mammy Trail", a dirt road we take out in the "boondocks" of Louisiana when we go to Natchitoches:
how 'bout an example:

"This road is a bad Mamma Jamma, is it as bad as the Mammy Trail?"
"Negatory"

I'll have to add one that is in my regular vocabulary:
trollop
I referred to a particular female (I refuse to call her a lady) a trollop. Her eyes went :eek:, and she was very offended. She was used to being called every commonly used word in the book and not being offended.

I also like:
ambuscade
rumpus as in "bring on a rumpus" (to start a fight)
craven
halcyon
coterie
imbroglio
philistine
badinage
rapacious
bon vivant
proselytize
mordant
histrionic
sub rosa
irascible

does our use of such antiquated words make us troglodytes?
or is it our preference for 'outdated' means of shaving?

does our use of such antiquated words make us troglodytes?
or is it our preference for 'outdated' means of shaving?

hmmm, I'm gonna vote for "well-educated, refined, cultured gentlemen." How's that? Fo shiz?

edit: and besides, I don't think troglodyte (troglodydic?) vocabulary extended much beyond "ugh" and "grr." :wink:

edit 2: but at the same time, I stand up for troglodyte rights and fully support their choice to remain unevolved. :biggrin: :tongue:

hmmm, I'm gonna vote for "well-educated, refined, cultured gentlemen." How's that? Fo shiz?

edit: and besides, I don't think troglodyte (troglodydic?) vocabulary extended much beyond "ugh" and "grr." :wink:

edit 2: but at the same time, I stand up for troglodyte rights and fully support their choice to remain unevolved. :biggrin: :tongue:

dang skippy you should! if it weren't for troglodytic ambassadors, that poor little lizard would be overworked....

I like "recalcitrant" -- Hard to deal with or resisting authority.

And just to throw out an oddity -- growing up, my Dad always used the word "kattywompus" to describe something crooked, uneven, or (sometimes) broken. As in "That picture is hung up all kattywompus."

Top Bottom