Folderol
(The) Vapours
"How do you do?" rather than saying, "Hi, howareya?"
Excuse me, please.
I beg your pardon.

Terse
Egregious
Shoeburyness:tongue:

I would like to see someone campaign tirelessly for the popularisation of 'indefatigability'.

That seems to happen quite a bit. When I hold the door for someone and they do not say "thank-you", I still say to them, "You're welcome" to remind them that I am not under their employment but rather extended an act of courtesy.

Some people really believe that it is their world and we are just living in it. :rolleyes:

I do precisely the same... Sadly, I often find that the ones who don't say thank you take offense to your perceived sarcasm.

I thought it was a salad vegetable :confused:

Anyhow, Cory's verbiage ("toot my own horn") brings up something I've noticed... English is getting a lot less colorful / expressive with many many idioms and analogies just getting dropped. Things like "a pig in a poke", "tooting one's own horn", etc. And, "shizzles" don't make up for it. (talk about incomprehensible!)

I can see that, in the long run, it does make things more difficult for non-English or ESL speakers to grasp and they probably should not be used in a business setting. But, still, doesn't it also make things that much more blah (I mean, um, blase')?
I happen to disagree with you there, as someone whose English is the second language, “aristocratic” words have a lot more in common than you give credit, but this downfall of the language is not just happening to the old folklore of the English, is happening to all languages, which goes hand in hand with the dumbing down of the masses by social media and the laziness of writing right, nowadays everything is shortened, replaced with icons, “emojis” or simply using acronyms to say something just plain stupid that adds no value to the message, just to have the need to portray someone as being “cool” but only adding to the commonality of the masses. Just detrimental!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I happen to disagree with you there, as someone whose English is the second language, “aristocratic” words have a lot more in common than you give credit, but this downfall of the language is not just happening to the old folklore of the English, is happening to all languages, which goes hand in hand with the dumbing down of the masses by social media and the laziness of writing right, nowadays everything is shortened, replaced with icons, “emojis” or simply using acronyms to say something just plain stupid that adds no value to the message, just to have the need to portray someone as being “cool” but only adding to the commonality of the masses. Just detrimental!
:yesnod:

Top Bottom