What words would you like to see make a comback? How about some of these:

defenestration
bees knees
fulminate
nifty
sobriquet
ablution

Add some more that you would like to see. :biggrin:

I did a lot of reading also got a few snickers. at my word usage.. untill I got big enough to beat them down lol. :w00t:

A rich and witty vocabulary itself needs to make a comeback. I find the modern neglect of variety and nuance in our language to be extremely regrettable.

:lol:

I was a very a big reader growing up. Kids made fun of me for using "big words." :frown: My English teachers loved me. :smile:

I did a lot of reading also got a few snickers. at my word usage.. untill I got big enough to beat them down lol. :w00t:

I could not agree more. Growing up I always had my head in books and I still love to read. I hate to toot my own horn, but it shows in my everday verbal and written interactions with people.

Funny story. I work with a gal who is 21 or 22 (I'm 26) and in conversation I used the word "cumbersome." The look she gave me was priceless. She smiled then smirked before her face twisted up in confusion and she asked, "Cumber-what?!?"

Now, everytime I use a "big word" (her words, not mine), she chuckles and says, "...and there goes Cory again with his big words!" :001_rolle

...and for the record. I'm still not big enough to beat anyone down. :lol:

Since we've veered slightly off course, I too will throw my vote towards the importance of childhood reading. I was an avid reader growing up. Less so in the military, but still managed a book every other month or so. Then in college there was so much educational reading going on that I stopped reading for enjoyment. These days I'm lucky to get through one book in a year. However, I've always believed that reading during my youth vastly expanded my vocabulary and its proper usage. Skills that remain to this day. Those in my family who did not read are at an observable disadvantage in their lives with respect to verbal and written communication.

Defenestration is a great word! Years ago, my father gave me a copy of The Superior Person's Book of Words. It is a delightful book filled with odd words and humorous definitions. The list below is inspired by it...

1. Galactophage n. - milk sop. Usage "You, sir, are a snivelling galactophage." Related, Alliaphage n. - a garlic eater.
2. Glabrous adj. - having no hair or projectionsl; smooth. Could be particularly useful to users of the straight razor.

Some other favorites: carbuncle, fungible and anathema.

Funny story. I work with a gal who is 21 or 22 (I'm 26) and in conversation I used the word "cumbersome." The look she gave me was priceless. She smiled then smirked before her face twisted up in confusion and she asked, "Cumber-what?!?"

Now, everytime I use a "big word" (her words, not mine), she chuckles and says, "...and there goes Cory again with his big words!" :001_rolle

Same thing with me. After a while, it became a big joke. I was known as Mr. Thesaurus for the rest of the year. I tried to uphold the integrity and tradition that all Mr. Thesaurus titleholders have shown. :tongue: :wink:

Top Bottom