What's new

Words of Encouragement

Howdy fellow shavers! I’ve been at the DE game shaving for over a year and a half now. The obsessive monthly mail call has significantly tapered off as I hack away at these wonderful products.

Irritation is still a struggle. I know how frustrating it is to be so enthused by a new hobby, yet, the results take forever to fine tune. Don’t give up!!! It took me a year to realize I was STILL using too much pressure. One shave would feel incredible, and the same setup the next go would hack my face. Practice, persistence, and patience. It may take a few years to truly hone your favorite setup.

The irritation battle is finally greatly improving! PREP IS SO IMPORTANT!!!!!!!! Adding a little Proraso preshave made all difference for me! Also, I have finally found a couple razor and blade combos which actually work immaculately and comfortably, not just “good enough”. There are no catch spots with a personally compatible combo. Sometimes a blade feels sub-par on the first use, then shaves 2-4 is the sweet spot. And different combos perform differently based on the length of growth.

It’s a fun hobby! When a solution seems hopeless is when we need to continue pushing through the most. I know your pain. Your perfect setup is out there!

Thank you. I should also clarify the perfect combo does NOT mean BBS results! It means a 3-pass DFS with no discomfort, nicks, or irritation. I know there will be special glass-smooth days to come in good time.

I am in the same league.... been wet shaving now for 15 months.... I am getting there. Still not found my ideal combo's, takes time because I like to use more than 1 razor. And you are absolutely right. technique is number 1 to work on.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Adding a little Proraso preshave made all difference for me! Also, I have finally found a couple razor and blade combos which actually work immaculately and comfortably, not just “good enough”.
Your post is uplifting! I am also a member of the Proraso preshave brotherhood. If you don’t mind me asking, what are razor and blade combos you like so well?

@Messygoon I’m liking my ‘55 Redtip with Kai blade. This is strictly personal. Moderate aggressiveness with a very sharp blade gets a close shave with the fewest passes. I’ve gotten great shaves from many other combos, and finding that fewer passes without too much blade exposure is the sweet spot. I WILL find a perfect combo with my 1919 old type one day!

Congratulations on your progress. This is a terrific community that learns from each other. Thank you for your post & encouraging words.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
@Messygoon I’m liking my ‘55 Redtip with Kai blade. This is strictly personal. Moderate aggressiveness with a very sharp blade gets a close shave with the fewest passes. I’ve gotten great shaves from many other combos, and finding that fewer passes without too much blade exposure is the sweet spot. I WILL find a perfect combo with my 1919 old type one day!
That’s fantastic, and you just convinced me to try the Kai blade. Thanks!

After 18 months I am still manage to make the odd improvement. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve really perfected the neck shave. I was doing the same thing for a long time and it was working pretty well. Then something clicked and I changed my routine to more closely follow my grain map. First stroke up and in on the sides of the neck i.e. actually with the grain. Big improvement. Then I was changing the sheets and noticed that pulling them in one direction didn’t get all the wrinkles out. Pulling them in two directions did. Bingo. Added a two way stretch to the middle of the neck area. Better again.

It really does keep getting better. The rate of improvement slows but you still keep finding little tricks here and there.

Thanks for posting this! I hit the six month mark recently and whenever I have a disappointing shave I wonder why I'm not farther along. I need to remember not to compare my results against others and just keep working at this every day. There's so much to learn.

Top Bottom