What's new

Word of WARNING Blades from Amazon

No1up- It would be nice to know which vendor is selling bad blades. If you aren't going to tell us, then why post this thread? We can't just avoid all vendors selling blades on Amazon. There are many reputable ones there. I have bought many blades on Amazon without a problem.
Kevinmyhre- which vendors are selling knock-offs?

I don't remember the vendors. It was nothing shaving related that I was looking at but I know I've come across multiple items that even in the reviews people have pointed out the small differences between what they ordered and what the real product should look like. Mainly electronic type stuff.

I have that same box of med preps from razor blades and mre I believe. Same box, same wrapper, same blade.
they just might not be for you. At first they tore me u, but upon revisiting them, I love them.
as well as the much cheaper and almost the same exact blade, IMO, the Personna Lab blue.

I would think it's more likely than the blades were from a bad batch than counterfeit. If the blades being sold by the vendor were all like that, it would serve little purpose, as Amazon has a 100% satisfaction return policy with free return shipping.
Additionally, Amazon monitors vendors returns and complaints, and will pull a vendor who has excessive complaints or returns.

+1
Send them back....sounds like you ended up with the end of a batch run on an old die set from a plant that is closing, quality control department may have been the first to get (no pun intended) axed at that plant.

Those look exactly like the box of Preps that I bought and love. After reading about the history of Preps vs Labs, though, and seeing that Personna said that they are the same blade, I am just going to stick with Labs ("Comfort Coated" on Amazon) from now on. I've used both interchangeably, and although I thought I felt a difference at first, I am now certain that it is indeed the same blade. Cannot justify paying almost 4x more money for the same blade in a cooler box.

But back to the point, I do not believe that your blades are counterfeits.

I woke up to all of my neck RAW and wrinkled. When I would turn my head it felt like I was stretching the skin... I've learn d my lesson. Sticking with well known supplier and a mild razor.

I woke up to all of my neck RAW and wrinkled. When I would turn my head it felt like I was stretching the skin... I've learn d my lesson. Sticking with well known supplier and a mild razor.

This is definitely a YMMV thing but when I use a mild razor (Aristocrat) with a sharp blade I get a terrible shave. I tend to want to apply pressure with a mild razor causing razor burn.

I recently bought some Personnas in the blue box from Amazon and they were just OK, about the same as the red pack personnas. I tried an Astra SP about a week ago and was impressed. I bought 100 from eBay and they arrived today, haven't had a chance to try them yet.

I shaved with a Personna Med Prep the other day (New Box), and I ended up with razor burn so bad my wife wanted me to go to the Doctor...this leads me to believe that these are fake or bad stock, I have no evidence, just saying, buy with caution. This has me thinking about the Feather I bought from Amazon, and maybe that's why they are not as good as they are made out to be.

Did you buy the Feathers from an Amazon 3rd party reseller, too?

I don't know about the blades but I have found some venders selling knockoffs of other products on Amazon.

I've written numerous times that I would never purchase from a 3rd party reseller, unless it was something like metal funnels for transferring my Clubman to glass bottles. If you check those 3rd party reseller storefronts on Amazon, they sometimes have one or two of the shaving items in stock, which mean you have no idea where they could have picked them up, and certainly aren't into high turnover and restocking quickly by new product.

I, too, was less than satisfied with the ones I bought from Amazon. The Astras, on the other hand, were fabulous.

Astra Superior Platinums are shipped and sold by Amazon if you so choose (which everyone should). Did you order the Astras direct from Amazon? If so, that would explain the reason.

If it's not shipped and sold by Amazon I'm just going to stay clear.

That's a good policy. If only we could get the reputable online shaving supply retailers that we all know to become Amazon 3rd party resellers, we would save quite a bit on shipping costs. Most of the shaving suppliers have that $80-$100 threshold for free shipping while Amazon's is $35.

OK so follow up here. I got my Personnas from Robbins, AND I bought some Personna labs, since people say they are the same only the Meds go through a sterilization process.

First, the Robbins blades were just like the sample blade I had, cut through THICK 1 day stubble like a hot knife through butter, this confirmed the amazon blades were no good. I then shaved half my face with the personna labs, and while they are ok, it had a tough time through my stubbles, letting the razor do all the work was not going to work, I had to help it along the way. This confirmed that the Personna Meds FROM Robbins are the most supirior blades I have come across in my travels.

My list of blades off the top of my head, I know I've tried more:

Feather
Polsilver
Gillette Blue
Gillete 7 o clock yellow box
Kia
Voskhod
Astra SP
Derby
Shark
Spunik

This are the ones I can think of, but I know there's a ton more, since I like to buy sample packs. Voskhod are my second favorite. I will try buying some Feathers from WCS now that I know Amazon 3rd party sellers are not to be trusted.

Top Bottom