What's new

Wool & Prince Shirts

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I just received my first order of shirts from Wool & Prince and wanted to see what others think about these products.

I’ve been wanting a merino wool dress shirt for a while and recently decided to try one from Wool & Prince. I really wanted a tried and true blue Oxford, but they had a red spread collar on sale for $89 as well as a white heavy work shirt for the same price. These were pretty much the only two items on sale in my size, so I got them both.

They just arrived today and I quickly unboxed them. Upon first inspection, I’m pretty satisfied with the fit and feel. The packing wrinkles are going to need to be steamed out, I suppose.

Even though they didn’t have the blue on sale in my size, I’ve been wanting a red dress shirt for a long time anyway, so this works out well. The color is actually more of a corral than what I would consider red. But it is pretty true to the picture on their website, so I’m not disappointed. It fits very well on my 5’11”, 165 lb, slender frame and looks good tucked into a pair of jeans (I prefer my shirts to be tucked, while my wife likes the untucked look, which is why I also got the other shirt).

A white work shirt is probably for people who don’t really work very hard. I’m pretty certain I won’t actually be wearing this at work, as I would wreck it rather quickly. Rather I decided that I need more merino clothing for travel and this seemed very appropriate for that. I think it gives a dressed up look to casual. I’m wearing it untucked over a pair of Aviator jeans and I’m pretty sure my wife is going to give it a big thumbs up.

I’m looking forward to taking both of these shirts on my next vacation, a ten day cruise. Especially since one my obsessions lately is trying to travel with just an under seat day pack. I’ll be pairing these with Woolly brand V neck merino T-shirts.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never heard of these shirts before but I might give them a look since you rate them high.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The first Wool and Prince ad showed the owner of the firm wearing the shirt for 100 straight days without washing. Do you live for a challenge?

I’m not planning on doing 100 days. However, it would be nice to dress better than just a T-shirt while on vacation for two weeks with just an under seat backpack.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The first Wool and Prince ad showed the owner of the firm wearing the shirt for 100 straight days without washing. Do you live for a challenge?

I’m not planning on doing 100 days. However, it would be nice to dress better than just a T-shirt while on vacation for two weeks with just an under seat backpack.

My understanding is that wool garments are capable of resisting the accumulation of BO and other unpleasantnesses far longer than other materials (*ahem* I'm lookin' at you, cotton), but this works best if the garment is given a day or two to "air out" in between wearings.

My limited experience with woolen shirts (usually "long t-shirts" worn under a sweater or sweatshirt in winter) tends to bear this out ... but certainly I'm not going to try for 100 days with or without air-out days interspersed.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
My understanding is that wool garments are capable of resisting the accumulation of BO and other unpleasantnesses far longer than other materials (*ahem* I'm lookin' at you, cotton), but this works best if the garment is given a day or two to "air out" in between wearings.

My limited experience with woolen shirts (usually "long t-shirts" worn under a sweater or sweatshirt in winter) tends to bear this out ... but certainly I'm not going to try for 100 days with or without air-out days interspersed.

Thanks Doc,

Since our next vacation will be on a cruise ship (Canada in October), everything will be hung up in the first few minutes of getting in our cabin. I’m currently up to five merino shirts now, but three of them are T-shirts, a white V neck, a black V neck, and a blue long sleeve Henley from Woolly. I frequently wear the black V neck and the blue Henley as top shirts with jeans.

I also have a multitude of Pendleton wool shirts, but they are very bulky. So I’m thinking about wearing my favorite one while flying and pack the merino shirts in my pack.

I really want that blue Oxford shirt, but $128 is a bit steep. The cheapskate in me just won’t let me do it once I saw the sale prices of only $89. Besides, I wanted to see how well they fit before considering the regular price and exchanges were allowed on the sale items for first time customers for size issues. Anyway, that was my logic. If I’m not careful, I just might get the blue Oxford before we sail.

I have worn wool T-shirt with heavy wool button down shirts at deer camp or many days when showers were unavailable. In fact, heavy wool shirts and jackets rarely ever need dry cleaning. While I do not advocate not showering for a week+ with the same garments, the woolen garments did not stink. If you wore a T-shirt and tried hard not to wear your coffee or lunch, I bet you can get many wearings out of a wool shirt before dry cleaning it.

Top Bottom