What's new

Woohoo! Got me a Richwood finally!

I am still waiting for it to arrive from Italy. I need to figure out how to carefully clean and restore the wood. I have seen sets (mr-razor, is one) that appear to have a deep, rich wood-y character that seems to gleam in the light. I wonder if this can be cleaned up like that.

HTere are products for restoring wood furniture. Fornby's I think is one of the more popular ones, but honestly looking at that, I don't think it will require more than a cleaning, and conditioning with furniture polish. Something with lemon oil and bees wax should do a good job to penetrate and shine the wood. Rub it in, let it sit for a bit, then buff with a clean cotton cloth. Might be worthwhile to do as many as three applications. Any more than that and I think you're just "polishing your box" for the sheer pleasure of it. ;)

This one won't display a big collection but I really like it for showing off my nicer razors.

View attachment 150393 View attachment 150394

I bought it from this company. I just ordered a second one for the other bathroom. My razor collection runnth over. :blushing:

That's nice! I would like one just like it but much larger! Floor standing. I think I will have somebody build me one. Or go find someplace that sells Ikea and get one like Achim's setup.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
imopressive display...

this is the first time ive ever said this, but i love that toilet seat!

Wow that is a very fancy toilet seat!

Thanks! My husband made the toilet seat. :001_smile

That's nice! I would like one just like it but much larger! Floor standing. I think I will have somebody build me one. Or go find someplace that sells Ikea and get one like Achim's setup.

I would have liked a floor standing one also, but I wanted to keep most of them displayed in the bathrooms and we didn't have the floor space.
This is amazing, as I was typing this the new cabinet just got delivered. I only ordered it two days ago. :blink: :thumbup:

I am still waiting for it to arrive from Italy. I need to figure out how to carefully clean and restore the wood. I have seen sets (mr-razor, is one) that appear to have a deep, rich wood-y character that seems to gleam in the light. I wonder if this can be cleaned up like that.

I watched it too and was tempted but since I just acquired one that needed some work I passed on it and directed my attention to the one I had. Yes, you can refinish the box if it needs it or bring out that shine.

Here's what I can tell you. First check the finish, they were varnished. If the varnish is still in good shape I would first use a wood cleaner like Orange Glow to get the decades of grime off it. That might be all it needs. It worked for my Big Fellow box.

If the varnish is gone but the stain is good then I recommend a spray can of Testors Gloss Clear Coat, the Richwood boxes seem to be glossier than the Big Fellow's. If you do not want that glossy look use Testors Dull Coat which is really a satin. Be careful because the insides of the box tend to have a thicker coat of varnish because of less wear than the outside so you may not have to spray inside.

Now if the finish is worn and the wood is showing through the stain you can refinish it to its exact color using Minwax Early American 230. A woman in the paint department at my local HD has her advanced degree in stains and refinishing antiques. She spent about an hour with mine testing differnt stains and combination of stains until she concluded that this color was the one that is exact or as close as you're going to get.

I hope this helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

I watched it too and was tempted but since I just acquired one that needed some work I passed on it and directed my attention to the one I had. Yes, you can refinish the box if it needs it or bring out that shine.

Here's what I can tell you. First check the finish, they were varnished. If the varnish is still in good shape I would first use a wood cleaner like Orange Glow to get the decades of grime off it. That might be all it needs. It worked for my Big Fellow box.

If the varnish is gone but the stain is good then I recommend a spray can of Testors Gloss Clear Coat, the Richwood boxes seem to be glossier than the Big Fellow's. If you do not want that glossy look use Testors Dull Coat which is really a satin. Be careful because the insides of the box tend to have a thicker coat of varnish because of less wear than the outside so you may not have to spray inside.

Now if the finish is worn and the wood is showing through the stain you can refinish it to its exact color using Minwax Early American 230. A woman in the paint department at my local HD has her advanced degree in stains and refinishing antiques. She spent about an hour with mine testing differnt stains and combination of stains until she concluded that this color was the one that is exact or as close as you're going to get.

I hope this helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

ezmike, you are the man. That's just the kind of info I needed. I know this razor is going to look great in my case, but to have it looking it's original best is just what I was after. Thanks a TON! Heck, somebody oughta sticky this or wiki it or something.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Nice find Todd, you are the man. I had to slow down just a bit, SWMBO said I need to save a bit of money for vacation coming up.......Nah.:w00t:

Thanks, Scott. You know the interesting thing is, this item was listed the week before with minimum bid of $50 and nobody bid on it. So he relisted it with min of $25 and I got it for $51. Go figure :thumbup1:

imopressive display...

this is the first time ive ever said this, but i love that toilet seat!

Yeah, this razor and brush fixation thing is bad enough, but when it comes to being envious of someone's lavatory seat it is time to switch off the computer and go and walk around for a while! :lol:

And a nice Richwood too. I like the wood boxes.

If it's like mail from the UK, plan on a long wait. My razor took 26 days. sorry for the bad news

Last edited:
Top Bottom