What's new

Woodworking and building your own things

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If the weather is not too bad this weekend, I might be able to finish that coffee table.

My nephew just turned 18 and wants to move out to get his own place. He asked me if I could help him with furniture. I need to check with him what he needs so we can start designing!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
That sounds like fun.
It's always nice when you have a purpose for your project. And even nicer when you are helping someone else.

If the weather is not too bad this weekend, I might be able to finish that coffee table.

My nephew just turned 18 and wants to move out to get his own place. He asked me if I could help him with furniture. I need to check with him what he needs so we can start designing!

If you live in buildings of 1895 you are bound to get things like these. And you are going to be happy to have a workshop with tools.
FF30E65D-201D-4C4E-BE14-AB36208474B6.jpeg
FF30E65D-201D-4C4E-BE14-AB36208474B6.jpeg
6F88A5B1-472C-4623-BCB4-DA889CF7BC0B.jpeg
44F55E67-E501-454D-B45F-AA33DD025C8B.jpeg
A390BBAF-9299-4064-B2BB-5527083A2980.jpeg
A7011752-BEC5-4407-917D-6CA211599359.jpeg

Years back I made a nightstand, dresser and chest for my daughter. The drawers were a bit of a challenge for me at the time, but it all came out great in the end.

My wife and I recently moved and we needed a coffee table and some end tables. Below is a picture of the coffee table. Pardon the mess, but I’m too lazy to clear it off at the moment. I joined 4 oak boards to make the top. After cutting all the pieces, I assembled it using biscuits and glue. All the tables are quite strong.
image.jpg

the table came out great!

what kind of tool set up do you have?

I will be upgrading my table saw later this year to the new Delta 36-725 T2.

proxy.php

it has an upgraded motor compared to the regular 36-725. they changed the color as well.

I would love to get a SawStop, but those are way out of my price range.

Great looking projects and so satisfying to use something you built. I enjoy hand tools and doing things old school, but I can appreciate the efficiency of modern tools. Like your kreg jig. MAN those things come in handy and save time, looks, hardware, space on eliminating cleats and such. So I employ a little of both. That is a great looking chair. BUild on!

I only have 1 pic and it is not a finished product, but here is a twin bed frame I built with my boy (10 yr old) for clothes storage under bed. It ended up with rails on 3 sides and slats across to hold the box springs and mattress on top obviously. I made drawer guides out of hard wood and waxed em up for easy sliding. A loop of small rope for drawer pulls. It turned out nice and is also satisfying to teach young fellars how to use tools.

Attachments

• bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 9
Here's a few watchboxes i made as gifts last Christmas. The boxes are made from Pine with Walnut splines. I used danish oil for the small box and then a few coats of shellac for shine. The bigger box i only used shellac (gives a sort of holographic effect on the splines when the light hits them). the hardest part of making these was the velvet lining. I should have used a method called 'flocking' for the inside, but i didn't read about it until after i made them. The inside dividers are made out of Cedar so the box always smells great when you open it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I only have 1 pic and it is not a finished product, but here is a twin bed frame I built with my boy (10 yr old) for clothes storage under bed. It ended up with rails on 3 sides and slats across to hold the box springs and mattress on top obviously. I made drawer guides out of hard wood and waxed em up for easy sliding. A loop of small rope for drawer pulls. It turned out nice and is also satisfying to teach young fellars how to use tools.
That looks great!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
the table came out great!

what kind of tool set up do you have?

I will be upgrading my table saw later this year to the new Delta 36-725 T2.

proxy.php

it has an upgraded motor compared to the regular 36-725. they changed the color as well.

I would love to get a SawStop, but those are way out of my price range.

I don’t have many tools. I need to optimize my garage space as much as possible. The car lives in the garage.

i mainly live on donations that my dad didn’t want anymore.

i do not own a table saw but have a mitre saw that I use a lot. I have a circular saw. The drill/impact combo, of course. I use the speed square quite a bit. I recently discovered the oscillating tool(what a wonder). I also have an orbital sander. But I will probably change it as most stores sell 5 inches discs and mine is a 6 inches. Only Home Depot sells 6 inches where I am.

i might but a jigsaw but I’m waiting for a good price!

In addition to following Paul Sellers I think that the videos by Rex Krueger are a way to bootstrap your skills. I have made his low roman bench, and some of his stools/benches primarily with hand tools. Prior to that I made extensive use of pocket screws and most of my stuff looked like construction rather than furniture.

Top Bottom