What's new

Wood stock for scales

Hello, any info on where to buy 1/8 wood stock for scales. Not looking for blanks, maybe some larger pieces to cut myself. I made a few pair of red oak in 1/4 just to see. They came out ok, but I cut too close to the line and then after I was done sanding, they were too narrow. Or what type of wood blocking could I use? I can rip the stock but I don't have a planer, only a bench sander. Bad idea I think but that's why Im asking. Or any other ideas that you think may be plausible. I would love to go to home depot and buy some right now, although that may not be possible. What Im trying to do is experiment with relatively cheap stock, I don't want to ruin 10 pairs of snakewood blanks.

Hello, any info on where to buy 1/8 wood stock for scales. Not looking for blanks, maybe some larger pieces to cut myself. I made a few pair of red oak in 1/4 just to see. They came out ok, but I cut too close to the line and then after I was done sanding, they were too narrow. Or what type of wood blocking could I use? I can rip the stock but I don't have a planer, only a bench sander. Bad idea I think but that's why Im asking. Or any other ideas that you think may be plausible. I would love to go to home depot and buy some right now, although that may not be possible. What Im trying to do is experiment with relatively cheap stock, I don't want to ruin 10 pairs of snakewood blanks.

Are you gonna stabilize them first? The only wood that should be used for scales is stabilized, or sealed with something like CA or non porous oily woods like ebony

Last edited:
I was looking to make the scales, when Im satisfied they look ok, I have some clear epoxy to coat them with before I assemble them. Look for another post on that soon! LOL.

Woodcraft and eBay. I've seen others online but decided I didn't like wood as much as horn or acrylic so I dont have the links any more.

I made some oak scales sealed with Tru-Oil that I'm pretty happy with. I ripped the wood to ~.09" and then sanded thinner on paper stuck to marble.
$DSCN0677.jpg
$DSCN0678.jpg

If you are ever in Knoxville, TN there is a great place called Jeffries Wood Works. They have a great selection of wood. I picked up some Bocote, Cocobolo and some Maccassar Ebony (I have plenty of the solid black Gaboon). They have turning blanks you can buy or you can buy some 4/4 lumber. I just picked up a 14" Grizzly bandsaw and am cutting the boards into blanks now.

If you are interested in some ~1/8" blanks of any of these (besides the Gaboon as that is my personal stash and I am only willing to trade it for pre-ban ivory), then let me know. I would be willing to trade for any natural scale material.

Top Bottom