What's new

Wood soap dish restore question

I have a bowl of Yardleys I would like to restore. I have the soap out and have the bowl sanded, ready to stain. The lid is next. I would like to save the sticker if I can, however safely removing it has me stumped. I tried soaking in warm water, but it won't budge. I'm hesitant about steaming, as I can see the lid warping. The other option is stain around the sticker, then polycoat right over top of it. The issue with this is, I'm wary that the ink may dissolve with the poly.

Any advice/suggestions on how to remove the sticker as well as placing it back on, with little to zero damage would be appreciated. Thanks folks.
$yardley 003.jpg

I don't know about saving the label that's on the lid.... but maybe there would be a way to scan the existing label, touch it up with some editing software, and have it printed on adhesive paper/film. I don't know the details of doing it, but I imagine it could be done. It would not be original obviously, but once you sand down the bowl and restain it, it's no longer very original anyway. You might as well try to make it look as nice as you can. It's like that American Restoration show, often they can't get the original parts so they just have to make them..... if they want them to look new again.

Ben

Top Bottom