What's new

WOOD HANDLES

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So I have been asked several time about wooden handles and water .
I started turning wood handles around 2 years ago and have experimenting
with different finishes since .
I have tried to find what works best for appearance and protection from moisture
for Me . I have a few Brushes that I turned 2 years ago and are still holding up well.
What I have been doing as of late is using a combination of CA glue and Spray Lacquer
starting with several coats of CA and then a few coats of the spray Lacquer and then a few more coats of CA. after I am satisfied with that process I use different polishing compounds
and for the final finish I use Mothers Car Wax .
This is giving me a very nice gloss finish and protection from water.
As you might have guessed I have wayyyyy to many Brushes , But what I do EVERYTIME
I use one I make sure that I Rinse and dry the knots out with a towel and wipe down the whole brush handle dry and then let it air dry until the next day.
This seems to work for Me . I also do the same cleaning and drying with My razors every shave as well. Hope this answers a few of your questions
BRUSH CABINET.jpg

Yes that's what I was wondering, I thought you probably had something to seal and help protect the wood, I just was curious.you do have several brushes.

CA makes a great finish and will keep the brush from having water damage. Your brushes should be bullet proof with the additional steps you take.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Very nice work!

I saw a guy finishing a brush handle at a meet by spreading CA on the handle with a nitrile gloved hand, while the handle was spinning in the lathe. I got the impression that the CA was cured and burnished with this method. Have you ever tried anything like that?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Very nice work!

I saw a guy finishing a brush handle at a meet by spreading CA on the handle with a nitrile gloved hand, while the handle was spinning in the lathe. I got the impression that the CA was cured and burnished with this method. Have you ever tried anything like that?

That is the method that I use . The CA is applied with the glove to spread it even and then it sets up
in a few minutes . I do wet sand between coats after 3 or so coats

... But what I do EVERYTIME
I use one I make sure that I Rinse and dry the knots out with a towel and wipe down the whole brush handle dry and then let it air dry until the next day.
This seems to work for Me . I also do the same cleaning and drying with My razors every shave as well.
Yup. Me too, for all brushes and razors.
Also the lather bowl. Not because it really needs it, but it's become part of my ritual.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Very nice brishes. Seems to me like you have quite a but of fun.
Do you coat the hole before fitting the knot?

Yes I use the CA and then when I set the knot I coat the opening with epoxy all the way up.

Top Bottom