What's new

Wonky Morley

I recently bought a few cheapo razors to improve my honing, including a W.H. Morley 5/8 hollow grind. The good news is that the blade on the Morley is a bit wonky - exactly what I wanted for my $15.

Both faces have issues. The back face has a very short section about a quarter of the way from the toe that does not make contact, and the heel section had a natural inclination for a wider bevel reveal.

I first tried working the edge section by section using two hands with my non-dominant hand applying finger pressure. This exercise ended up turning into a game of whack-a-mole.

Next, I tried only using one hand, holding the stone in my non-dominant hand - a skill I have been wanting to develop. What I am finding is that it is easier to control the pressure over the wonky sections using one hand (versus two). Not sure if it is, but it feels like the blade actually flexes around lines perpendicular to the edge and you can roll the pressure through the wonky sections to make contact and to undercut the water.

While the resulting edge is not perfect, for the first time I feel like I am pointing in the right direction when it comes to honing wonky edges.

1645989064052.png

A second thing that I learned is that the corners of your rectangular stones are your friends. @Steve56 had pointed out to me that rectangular stones have four areas of narrower width that can be useful for honing wonky sections. But it wasn't until I tried to use the corners that I realized that the corners have an added benefit over narrow hones. While the edge is on a narrower section of stone, the spine is on a wider section of stone providing more foundation (than just using a narrow hone).

Amazing how much there is to learn about this whole subject!

1645990528657.png

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
@Frank Shaves - That’s right, the spine has a lot of contact on a corner relative to the edge. The corner ‘width’ is also infinitely variable unlike a narrow stone.

That area near the toe almost looks like a ding, is the bevel wider in that area on the other side?

The wider heel bevel is pretty common and it isn’t always on both sides, lol.

That area near the toe almost looks like a ding, is the bevel wider in that area on the other side?

Yeah, it does look like a ding. What's weird is there is no visible sign of the ding from the other side. And there is a second ding on the front face near the heel. Both are visible to the naked eye.

Top Bottom