What's new

Wonky handle

How wonky is your DE razor at a guess?

• Mine is wonky the same as yours on the picture.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is even wonkier.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

member 116245

Hello gentlemen,

I just received the new Gentle Shaver by Geisen & Forsthoff. But suddenly I got unsettled by the handle not being perpendicular to the head - it's obvious for the first sight. At start I though the screw on the head is bent so the handle attaches awry but when looking at the screw hole in the handle I can clearly see the hole has been drilled off-centre. According to the spirit level the handle is around 0,4° off the right angle to the head. Please look at attachments. Since it's my first DE razor I don't know what's supposed to fit in the limit of the manufacturing tolerance considering how high quality traditional DE razors are, the well-respected brand it has been made by and the delicacy of the wet shaving causing the difference between a clean shave or a cut skin. So If you could please evaluate those pictures and look at your chromium-plated prides whether you can notice the same imperfection.

Thanks.

Attachments

• off-centre screw hole.jpg
    off-centre screw hole.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 49
  • wonky handle.gif
    wonky handle.gif
    442.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the Timor version.? If so, they are made in China while the others are made in Germany I believe.? I have a few Chinese razors & the Q.C. is not up there with even the Lord razors.

M

member 116245

Now you got me. I checked before buying. There's "Made in Germany" on both parts of the head engraved. Nothing on the handle though which is the faulty part actually.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The present vote for Wonkiness is:

2 votes for perfect and 0 votes for wonkiness

Atronach is the only one who has a Wonky Razor and he spent a lot of pounds on that razor

M

member 116245

I'm sorry. I'm not a native English speaker. You mean the right thing by me as in the right thing according to me?
In that case I don't want any vendor to do right by me. I just want to find out if the manufacturing deviation as shown on those pictures is within the acceptable range of the manufacturing tolerance applied to traditional DE razors in that price range usually produced by manufacturers like Giesen, Mühle, Merkur, Edwin Jagger, Parker, ...I'm not looking for the ultimate quality of Feather razors or those Gillette vintage ones. Don't get me wrong, I will RMA it if other people find the quality sub-standard compared to those brands' standard but otherwise I'll try to live with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's too expensive to accept such an obvious flaw. I've heard that website has good customer service, so I'd contact them and get a replacement.

The head is zinc alloy, only the handle is stainless. Do you have access to another razor handle that you could try on it to confirm that the head is in fact OK?
I generally agree that you should return it as defective, and either get them to replace it, or get your money back.

M

member 116245

The head is zinc alloy, only the handle is stainless. Do you have access to another razor handle that you could try on it to confirm that the head is in fact OK?
I generally agree that you should return it as defective, and either get them to replace it, or get your money back.

Unfortunately I don't have another one by me to try.

Work out a trade for this, it's solid brass and cheaper.

Fatip "Piccolo" Nickel Open Comb Safety Razor - Gifts&Care

Why would I want to buy this one? Brass is softer than steel. Plus it has only vertical handle knurling so no resistance to slipping in that vector. If I would eventually resort to a different model, I'd go with the Timor 1325 Open Comb.

Anyway, seeing an unanimous opinion about it, I'm going to return it. Thank you for your information.

The heads on the Timor razors are not steel, they are zinc alloy with chrome plating, brass is much better.

M

member 116245

Oh I see, I though you mean the handle being from brass. I know about the zinc head on Timors of course.

Top Bottom