What's new

Women's watches

Anyone know anything about them? Is there much of a difference between a women's line and a men's line, as far as quality is concerned (I know that in some industries there definitely is...). Can I trust that a brand recommended here for a men's watch would also be a good brand for a women's watch? (Please bear with me in possible lack of searches; for some reason the forum is running very slow on my browser so I've not searched as extensively as I might have otherwise. I did try a search on "women's" but didn't find a whole lot.) I am absolutely inexperienced in watches; I am interested in them simply as utilitarian timepieces (*ducks to avoid rotten tomatoes*) and so I throw myself on the mercy of your knowledge. :)

I need a new watch. It will be replacing a Lorus that was my daily workhorse for 6 or 7 years, but finally the el-cheapo metal bracelet broke and as it's a not-entirely-standard design, can't be replaced with a standard band. Lorus was less than helpful when I emailed about the possibility of replacing the band somehow (since the watch itself still works), so I am reticent about going with that brand again even though I'm impressed with the long life of the watch.

Any recs on brands that make a sturdy women's watch that will hold up to 24/7 wear through sleeping, showers, and workouts for $150 or less (this is a fixed budget so I can't really go over it, though I know I may be asking a lot for the price point)? "Trendy" is less-than-important to me; I run far and fast from bling or cutesy and I couldn't care less about "fashion" brand names (and not-trendy can be difficult to find in women's watches these days, I find, but I simply couldn't pull off a man's watch, size-wise). Quality/reliability is most important to me; like I said, I rarely take my watch off (I'm not hard on them, but I wear mine pretty much constantly) and I don't want something that's going to break in a year or two.

I've been looking at Timex, simply because it's a brand name I recognize. Citizen also seems to be well-recommended (though I think they're above my price range)? What about Pulsar or Invicta (the latter doesn't seem to get very good reviews for quality or customer service?)? Casio (have seen a few I like but they cost well under $50 so I'm doubtful on their quality...)? I've seen a couple styles I like by Sekonda and Royal London but had never heard of the brands before. Also, prices on Amazon seem to be much cheaper than on the individual makers' sites, so that puts some brands in my range that wouldn't have been before (should this worry me?).

Several Seikos I liked are "automatic." Is this good or bad? I've always just had watches with batteries before.

Are there reputable US-based sites that sell watches, besides Amazon, where I could look at several brands at once?

Much thanks in advance.

For the most part, womens watches are the same quality as mens. That meaning, really cheap digital watches (less than 50 or 30) are purely functional, fairly rugged, but not meant to go on for a few years. Cheapie designer watches are cheap, regardless of gender. And if you get into the really nice watch brands, in the thousands, they are well made. The general notion of womens fashion being cheaper quality, as they are often thrown away after a few months or years (as opposed to a means suit or shoe, which can be more timeless) is generally true, but for watches I don't see a massive difference. Shoes, for example, can vary in quality in men vs women, a nice pair of mens shoes, maybe 300 Allen Edmonds are very well made, but a 300 designer shoe for women can break down in a year. I digress though.

On the automatic vs quartz (battery powered) watches, I, and most members here, will drastically prefer automatic watches. There is an inherent beauty in these watches, I personally still find it amazing that you can have a little machine on ones wrist that can keep time accurate within seconds, all on my wrist! And all human made, and we have had them for over a century. That's not even getting into complications, such as repeaters, chronograph (stopwatch) function, all while still being extremely small. The upside is that they don't need a battery ever, they are awesome (imo), and beautiful crafted. Downsides, they are generally less accurate (though not by any discernible amount, you have to reset your watch once or twice a month), and they generally come with a higher price tag, as it is much more labor intensive to make a mechanical watch vs a quartz one. But the tick of a mechanical watch is like the watch having a heartbeat, a life force, and I love the craftmanship in that. More of a well made heirloom piece.

Luckily, in this day and age, you can get a reasonably priced, fairly accurate, and rugged mechanical watch for a good price, such as 150, if you know where to look. There are two roads you can take, either cheap designer or chinese made watches, that will be very fashion forward, but lacking in quality, or you can buy a japanese made watch, that may not look amazing (depending, there are some gems out there on a budget) but that are mechanically made much better, with a good fit and finish for the price.

I would suggest looking and Seiko as you noted, namely the Seiko 5 line. If you prefer leather straps, they are easy to change out from the metal bracelet, and they can change the entire look of a watch. Another brand that I would strongly recommend is Orient. They are a japanese company, and make their movements in house (meaning that they are not sourced/bought from another company, which adds to the heritage of the watch). Half of their womens line have automatic movements, half have quartz, the quartz are generally a tad cheaper. Their stuff is regularly on sale for 20-50% off depending, so don't let the MSRP of them be off putting. They run online deals often, other members may know more, or you can get them on amazon at a good price generally.

Sorry for the massive post! Good luck hunting. :)

G-Shocks are under $150 and hold up to all kinds of abuse. May not be the look you are going for.

In the lower price ranges the quality seems to be equal. The higher the pricetag to more the assumption is that you have a male buyer, so there is less of a selection for women (I think IWC completely discontinued making women's watches) other than jewelry store brands (like Cartier). For women the higher pricetag is more likely to reflect jewels than complications.

Stick with what you know for now.

At your budget, you should be able to find something durable, battery operated and satisfactory. Have you tried Sears?

I also strongly prefer automatics. I suspect automatic movements will be "an acquired taste" soon. At work, I see a lot of battery powered watches, including a few that get a low frequency signal from Colorado to assure accuracy.

I notice that the kids attending the high school a few blocks from my house don't wear watches.... they walk around as if they're praying to their little square, hand-held gods. They always know the correct time.

-Jon

in addition to your other requirements, if part of your daily routine actually does include "workouts" i think the g-shock might just be the right fit for you...

who wants to work out in something with a leather / stainless band?

who wants to work out in something with a leather / stainless band?

I would also suggest you avoid sport watches with a velcro closure band if you're planning on working out with it on. I had a G-Shock with the velcro band, and though it was my favorite field watch, getting the smell out of the band is very difficult.

I would also suggest you avoid sport watches with a velcro closure band if you're planning on working out with it on. I had a G-Shock with the velcro band, and though it was my favorite field watch, getting the smell out of the band is very difficult.

too true. unless its a specifically designed run-watch - i'm not sure why you would wear a watch during exercise in the first place...?

I do not know Sekonda or Royal London but in general I think any of the brands you mention should be fine. And that a men's watch (brand) of a given quality should be reflected similarly in their women's styles.

Quartz (battery) watches are generally inexpensive and very good time keepers, if you buy a quartz you can spend more of your watch budget on outwardly visible aesthetics like the fit and finish of the case, dial, and watch band.

As already stated, automatics are tiny mechanical machines with many more moving parts so they are more expensive, but their nostalgia or mechanical operation may or may not appeal to you. I am not totally certain, but if you are considering a small watch like ones which have been traditionally worn by women in the past then those automatics may not be quite as accurate/good as their male counterparts. Since the watch case volume is smaller, there is less room for a more complicated mechanical movement which limits their accuracy...which in some sense is okay as the dial is smaller and not well suited for reading off "to the second" accuracy. If you are interested in a relatively large watch, which are somewhat popular with both men and women, then the comment about mechanical watches should not be an issue.

Wouldn't you know... I typed a long reply and browser crashed.

There are two roads you can take, either cheap designer or chinese made watches, that will be very fashion forward, but lacking in quality, or you can buy a japanese made watch, that may not look amazing (depending, there are some gems out there on a budget) but that are mechanically made much better, with a good fit and finish for the price.
Yes, the latter is what I'm after. I tend to go more for the plain/classic styles (though I do love a chrono, but they tend to be too big for my ridiculously-small wrists), which is why so many women's watches are daunting to me. There is a surplus of crystals and funky straps to sort through.

Another brand that I would strongly recommend is Orient.
I did have a look at those, because they come well-recommended here and on PMWF. I wasn't impressed with most of their line, but I did like the diver watch (the same one Austin posted-- that promo code's a pretty good deal, too; thanks. I might need to consider this one seriously).

Have you tried Sears?
Nope, but I'll go check them out.

G-Shocks are under $150 and hold up to all kinds of abuse. May not be the look you are going for.
'Fraid not. It needs to be able to hold up at the gym, but I don't want to have to take it off when I leave the gym. Like I said, this'll be everyday-wear, so it needs to transition through all of my everyday situations. (Also, even the women's line is just a bit too chunky to look anything but awkward on me.)

too true. unless its a specifically designed run-watch - i'm not sure why you would wear a watch during exercise in the first place...?
Because, as I said, I never take it off (I would spend too much time forgetting to put it back on). Also to keep track of how long I've been working out, or to know what time it is. So it needs to hold up through lifting, dance, yoga, running, other cardio (Insanity and the like, inc. the MA/boxing inspired workouts), etc. How would the automatics like the Seikos fare with all the jarring?

Why are the Amazon prices so much cheaper? Discontinued/older models?

(I'm sort of half thinking about loud here now...) I think I've largely got it narrowed down to Timex, Citizen, and Seiko (I loved the look of the Invicta dive watches but the quality/customer service sounds too iffy). The only thing with the Seikos is that most of the 5s have a case that is just a bit smaller than I'd prefer (my old watch was 27mm and I don't especially want to go smaller), but I could maybe live with it. I'm definitely after a metal bracelet (silvertone-- stainless), analogue, date feature. Some on my short list for further research:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Womens-SYMH79-Stainless-Analog/dp/B0046EKKQU/ref=pd_ybh_6

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Womens-SYMD99-Stainless-Analog/dp/B004XT0I1K/ref=pd_ybh_12

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SYMA43-Stainless-SteelAutomatic-Dress/dp/B004GBD5SS/ref=pd_ybh_18

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Womens-SYME51-Stainless-Analog/dp/B000ZCF1GG/ref=pd_ybh_23

http://www.dutyfreeislandshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FE1010-57B

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Womens-EW3140-51E-Eco-Drive-Sport/dp/B0019K9WRW/ref=pd_ybh_24

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Quartz-Silver-Bracelet-Womens/dp/B000MTU3XI/ref=pd_ybh_3

This Timex was also in my lineup (there were a few others I liked on their site but Amazon didn't have most of them): http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Elevated-Classics-Silver-Tone-Bracelet/dp/B004GHRDOO/ref=pd_ybh_7

As well as this Wenger (but I have no idea of their reputation): http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-Military-72939-Classic-Bracelet/dp/B004SISL7O/ref=pd_ybh_9

If you want a slighter bigger watch, look at Seiko 5's for men, they can run in the low 30mm case diameter, still small by todays standards. I would also suggest getting a dive type watch, one that has an acceptable water/depth rating, as it can go through the gym with you, but afterwards, look good enough to wear to work etc.

Wenger is generally well respected. Timex are good too. IMO though, Orient or Seiko have a better fit/finish when compared to timex, and possibly wenger too.

^ Aha. I never thought of looking for a smaller man's watch; they all seem pretty big. Good call, Kehern.

The Orient is strong in the running (though I'm not entirely enamored of the color choices-- wish I could get the stainless bezel w/ the black or white dial). I do love the look of a dive watch. Then, in my search for something to tell me the case size... I found the Momentum M1. I might be in love.

I found it in my price range on a couple sites, though I'd need to research and make sure they're good places to buy from.

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/ST_Moritz_Watches_momentum_m1/1M-DV01B0

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___99654

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-108/030723/St-Moritz-Momentum-M1-Watch.html

One more question and then I think I'm done being a pain in the arse-- am I correct in understanding that with a dive watch, every time I need to change the battery I have to send it in to be done, rather than being able to do it myself? Is that pricey?

Thanks for all the advice. The watch world seems to be a vast one to navigate, especially since I'm largely clueless. This will be my first not-so-cheap watch, as I want it to last a good long time (I'm tired of replacing watches) so I want to do it right.

Automatics are fine for running and all that, but if you are going to wear it at the gym you might just stick with a quartz. Seiko does make a quartz dive watch sized for women. Most jewelers can change the batteries in a dive watch with no problem (as well as the seal) but they will not pressure test it. As long as you are not diving with it that should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Yes, if you intend to swim or dive with the watch, it should be properly sealed. But a normal jeweler changing the watch shouldn't pose a problem, it is water resistant enough. Another benefit of an automatic watch is how you will never really have to open the back, except once every few years to service it. May save money in the long run, if you are the type to hold on to items till their last breath

i totally forgot about these guys (gals) - swatch
Blast from the past! I can't believe they're still around. How cool.

Automatics are fine for running and all that, but if you are going to wear it at the gym you might just stick with a quartz. Seiko does make a quartz dive watch sized for women. Most jewelers can change the batteries in a dive watch with no problem (as well as the seal) but they will not pressure test it. As long as you are not diving with it that should not be an issue.
Yeah, unlikely I'll ever get to do any diving. It looks like quartz is easier to find, anyway.

Yes, if you intend to swim or dive with the watch, it should be properly sealed. But a normal jeweler changing the watch shouldn't pose a problem, it is water resistant enough. Another benefit of an automatic watch is how you will never really have to open the back, except once every few years to service it. May save money in the long run, if you are the type to hold on to items till their last breath
Well, my cell phone is something like 10 years old, and my computer is a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down... so... yep. :)

Well, I'm not too hard on batteries, so I suppose it can't be too much of a problem to need to send it in. I assume it's no more frequent than a once-a-year thing, so could be worse to have the thing tested and looked over and warranty extended.

I'm really liking the M1, so that will probably be the way I go. Now just to choose a color, which is about as hard as choosing the watch itself...

Thanks, guys. Really helpful, some good suggestions.

Top Bottom