What's new

Women's frags that men wear.

There was a thread here-- http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95320 --that was asking what makes a scent masculine? I don't really subscribe to masculine/feminine fragrance marketing. If it smells good to me and I think I can pull it off I'll wear it.

Anybody else out there wear any scents that are marketed towards woman but you just have the ability to rock? I've been lucky with:

Chanel No. 5 (really good stuff, the ladies love it)
Hermes Elixir Des Merveilles (get lots of compliments with that one)
C&S Dark Rose and Mimosa
Penhaligon's Bluebell and Lily of the Valley
Cartier Panthere (very, very sexy smelling)
Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert and Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc (these are listed as unisex but I know of no other guys that wear them)
L'Occitane En Provence the Vert (another that's like the Bvlgari but a little more citrus in this one, also listed as unisex)
Vera Wang Princess (don't laugh...or do laugh, this is the 'girliest' scent I've been able to muster but it's so low-lying on my skin that it works, a very sweet scent)
J&J's Baby Powder

Anybody else have luck with anything 'girly'? Ladies, if you've been able to wear any 'MANLY!!!' frags please share also.

A long time ago, some friends gave me some "Calvin Klein" as a gift, and I really like it and got compliments on it, but then realized it was the womans version. So I sadly exchanged it for the "Calvin". While there's probably not a way to separate by gender, for me, there are enough interesting fragrances on the market to stay gender specific, and I don't want to smell like by wife - or someone elses! :eek:

:cool:

There was a time when I used to shine my boots and my shoes with my wife's old stockings. That worked out pretty well, but that was as far as things went.

Ha! I can definitely understand not wanting to smell like some guy's spouse. For some reason I've found that I can pull off a lot of scents ranging from Kouros to--shudder of all shudders--Princess.

It could be because I normally smell like a healthy mix of Filiberto's bean burritos, Copenhagen, Jim Beam, and the green germicidal soap at our stations.

These are the fragrances that I own and wear that are marketed to either Woman or both Men and Woman.

Black Aoud
proxy.php

Montale
Caldey Island Lavender
proxy.php

Caldey Abbey Perfumes
Cuba
proxy.php

Czech & Speake
Elisabethan Rose
proxy.php

Penhaligon's
English Lavender
proxy.php

Atkinsons
English Fern
proxy.php

Penhaligon's
Malmaison
proxy.php

Floris
Limes
proxy.php

Floris
No. 88
proxy.php

Czech & Speake
Sandalwood
Floris
proxy.php

Special No. 127
proxy.php

Floris
Tam Dao
proxy.php

Diptyque
Tea for Two
proxy.php

L'Artisan Parfumeur

THE FRAGRANCE NAMES ARE HYPERLINKED

Last edited:
I think quite a few scents are now being offered up as "unisex" (whatever that means). I simply wear what I like, period. The lines are blurred. I have no desire to wear anything "perfume-y" but never tried skirting around that kind of scent.

I definitely like to sport the unisex frags (ie: Tam Dao, C&S 88, various Penhaligon's), but have never gone with a scent that was ENTIRELY marketed to women, the only reason being that I haven't discovered one I like. I would if I found one though; it makes no difference to me.

The replies to that thread of mine have reassured me that I can wear whatever I like so long as I can pull it off. But I have so many men's frags to sample yet that it will be awhile before I will get around to trying some women's scents. FWIW, I enjoy flowers and floral scents in the house. But I have no idea how they might smell on me.

Last edited:
I only have one unisex EDT and that is Lalique Shaal Nur. I enjoy the scent as do others from the compliments I have received. I tried some flower scents such as Penhaligon's Bluebell, Rose and Lily of the Valley from the sampler, but I did not like the fragrance on me. I think I will stick to unisex and men's fragrances and stay away from women's floral fragrances.

Stop me if I'm totally FOS but many of Murray and Lanman's scents appear to be unisex Florida Water, Rose Cologne, Orange Blossom, etc. right?

I think you are correct sir. I believe those to be unisex and I know that Royal Violets, though used for newborns, is worn by middle-aged dudes and chicas alike. I use it as a room spray though.

It's funny that you bring up the FW, Rose, Orange, because I was talking to one of the guys at my job and we were talking about the crazy stuff that we went through as kids because of old-standing Mexican traditions (ex: when I had a bad flu once I had an egg cracked over my head because my grandmother was convinced that somebody had cast the evil eye or 'mal de ojo' on me) and he told me about FW and how his family used it for everything. Cleaning, bathing, for good luck and he said he hadn't seen it in years. On a whim I stopped by a hispanic grocery store and lo and behold, FW. I bought a bottle and stuck it in his locker. Cola, Atomic Fireballs, and orange juice. That's what it smells like. I remember reading about it on the forums and I thought that there was no way it could smell like that. Well, it does. Craziness.

My Czech & Speake sampler finally arrived! I really like the Dark Rose, although I would never have guessed that. I'll have to sample the Black Oud now. This can go on and on (and on)!

Estee Lauder's older scents are pretty butch as far as womanly scents go. I have no trouble wearing Azuree and White Linen, and Pure White Linen is practically unisex as far as I'm concerned. I wore Youth Dew Amber Nude for a short time until I realized that I have better ambers to wear. Likewise Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre.

MPG Ambre Precieux I think is a tad womanly but opens up well enough on me to not raise eyebrows. Caron Tabac Blond is easily dark and raspy enough for my taste. Guerlain Mitsouko is not a far cry from Chanel Pour Monsieur, and Jicky was worn by Sean Connery!

I've also made use of the Mrs.'s bottle of Chanel Chance, Gucci Envy Me, and Burberry the Beat although they're not really every-day scents for me: I have too many bottles of my own to plow through.

OP should try the original Paris Hilton. Great perfume.

If you can wear Chanel number 5, you can probably wear the Paris.

I really like the Dark Rose

That is one hell of a fragrance. Their sampler is so nice and they have some wicked good scents. Cuba is astounding if you haven't made your way there yet.

I like those recommendations, Jim. I'll have to check into some of those. I love C&S No. 88. Classic scent and for very good reasons.

Jicky sounds like it's right up my alley from what I've read about it, Thomas. And Sean Effing Connery? You can't go wrong when one of the manliest guys around wears it. He's pulled more tail than a lobster boating operation.

I can say I'd not wear anything associated with Paris Hilton based on scruples alone. She just rubs me wrong.

Last edited:
I can say I'd not wear anything associated with Paris Hilton based on scruples alone. She just rubs me wrong.

Couldn't agree more. Can't stand her. But damn if the original Paris Hilton isn't a great-smelling perfume! If you can stand the thought, give it a whiff sometime.

Obsession night.
Spirituese Double Vanille,
Sara Jessica Parker Lovely.
Burrbery for women.
Obsession night.
Shalimar light.
L'Heure Bleue.
Hibiscus Acca Kappa.
Prada Infusion d'Iris
Mitsouko EdP
La Chasse Aux Papillons L'Artisan
Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
Bluebell and Lavandula by Penhaligons.

Tabac Blond is similar to Vintage Tabarome IMO and quite wearable. Also Yardley English Lavender and several of the unisex scents mentioned in this thread.

Bear in mind that Hammam Bouquet is classified as a man's scent - not unisex.

Top Bottom