What's new

Wolfman WRH2 handle just arrived

From a guy that can really appreciate a nice handle, those Wolfman handles look great :thumbup1:

One clarifying bit about the UFO handles; The maker of the UFO handles is doing it all by hand with no CNCing, so in effect, there are no two handles that are exactly the same. As far as I understand it, Wolfman razors are made by a CNC machine with the dimensions all put into a computer program and repeated for as many handles as desired. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know anything about ufo handles but that's what CNC is--a lathe controlled by computer (computer numerical control). As I understand it James uses CNC machines to produce his stuff. He also hand finishes.

I don't know anything about ufo handles but that's what CNC is--a lathe controlled by computer (computer numerical control). As I understand it James uses CNC machines to produce his stuff. He also hand finishes.

Yes that is what I mean. UFO is using a non-CNC lathe. He hand tools each piece on a manual lathe. I think this is a big reason for the very limited availability and the higher price. I imagine it's several hours worth of work for the maker of UFOs to stand in front of a lathe hand tooling everything.

I don't mean to derail the thread, so sorry to the OP. Those Wolfman handles really do look great. I could very well be getting myself one of them one of these days.

I am finding myself somewhat afflicted with handle AD. I am waiting on a Wolfman (shipped) H2 handle, which I expect to stay attached to my ATT S2. For now. If and when James ever gets caught up, I plan to then attach it to one of his heads. Super nice guy, super busy, and from pictures anyway, super machinist. I kind of can't wait. Glad you got yours.

I agree. What you said is true. The UFO does have a more distinctively special treatment of the engraving, and you can see it, but I can order from James, and have his artwork about a week later. He is professional, and prompt at answering e mails. He also took the time to tell me what is going on at his shop, why he is backlogged, and when he will have stuff ready for me to buy. He cares enough to take time to answer one of many emails from a guy that he doesn't know will really purchase. That means more to me than anything. Plus, what I received is amazing, and in my hands.

OK, but you had said initially that the Wolfman handle was as good as a UFO. You seem to be conflating availability and quality. That you can obtain a Wolfman more easily does not make it of higher quality than another handle that cannot be obtained as easily. To be honest, your criticisms of UFO sound like "sour grapes" to me.

BTW, maybe it matters (or maybe not), but I thought that I'd read that Rafael had stopped making handles for some time due to family and/or health issues. If that is indeed the case, it would appear that he did not stop making them just to frustrate you.

I am intrigued by the Wolfman OC razor, and I do like that the Wolfman razors are 316L and fully-machined. The Wolfman OC is on my very short list (along with the ATT slants), once the 2015 Gentlemanly Restraint is over.

OK, but you had said initially that the Wolfman handle was as good as a UFO. You seem to be conflating availability and quality. That you can obtain a Wolfman more easily does not make it of higher quality than another handle that cannot be obtained as easily. To be honest, your criticisms of UFO sound like "sour grapes" to me.

BTW, maybe it matters (or maybe not), but I thought that I'd read that Rafael had stopped making handles for some time due to family and/or health issues. If that is indeed the case, it would appear that he did not stop making them just to frustrate you.

I am intrigued by the Wolfman OC razor, and I do like that the Wolfman razors are 316L and fully-machined. The Wolfman OC is on my very short list (along with the ATT slants), once the 2015 Gentlemanly Restraint is over.

I am an artist (photography and neon glass art/signs). I am also a businessman with my art. If someone e mails me telling me how much they love my work, and would like to commission something, I get back to them and let them know my schedule of production, etc. If I was for some reason not able to deliver any time soon, I would politely (good business) let them know what's going on. Maybe you are with the inner circle of friends of UFO, but that shouldn't matter.

Really, on a forum like this, polite manners and proper business etiquette shouldn't have to be explained in detail. We all know what that is. If you label my frustration as "sour grapes", then that's your label. In the day of internet, email, etc. a statement to your customer base about what's going on is pretty easy, if not a no-brainer. That's not even a debate is it? I am a very sensitive & understanding person, but also am used to a certain level of professionalism. No big deal. I am more than happy with my Wolfman, will purchase more from the companies I love, and looks like UFO will not be among them.

By the way, availability in the case of Wolfman, along with his professionalism is most definitely a huge QUALITY. Especially when the handle is just as nice. It's not all about the product finish. A bird in hand...

I am an artist (photography and neon glass art/signs). I am also a businessman with my art. If someone e mails me telling me how much they love my work, and would like to commission something, I get back to them and let them know my schedule of production, etc. If I was for some reason not able to deliver any time soon, I would politely (good business) let them know what's going on. Maybe you are with the inner circle of friends of UFO, but that shouldn't matter.

Really, on a forum like this, polite manners and proper business etiquette shouldn't have to be explained in detail. We all know what that is. If you label my frustration as "sour grapes", then that's your label. In the day of internet, email, etc. a statement to your customer base about what's going on is pretty easy, if not a no-brainer. That's not even a debate is it? I am a very sensitive & understanding person, but also am used to a certain level of professionalism. No big deal. I am more than happy with my Wolfman, will purchase more from the companies I love, and looks like UFO will not be among them.

By the way, availability in the case of Wolfman, along with his professionalism is most definitely a huge QUALITY. Especially when the handle is just as nice. It's not all about the product finish. A bird in hand...

Definition of "sour grapes": "unfair criticism that comes from someone who is disappointed about not getting something"

Does this not describe exactly what you're stating (or at least what you stated in your first post)? I think that it does. In fact, I think that you'd even have to agree, as you conceded in a subsequent post that the UFO has better detailing.

Again, you appeared to be judging the final quality of the product itself by your ability to obtain such item. You mentioned that you're an artist, so I'm sure that you're familiar with the concept of separating "the art" and "the artist." You further talk about business etiquette, courtesy, etc. All of that has nothing to do with the final product, which you did agree, in a post after your first post that the UFO was higher quality.

BTW, I don't dispute most of what you've stated, just the assertion in the first post that a Wolfman is of equal quality to a UFO (with the reasoning simply being that you can obtain one and are not frustrated by the process, which, of course has nothing to do with the final "product in hand").

Z blade, the following is just my two cents:

1) UFO is not a "business" in the typical sense that the word business is used. Rafael makes the handles one by one, by hand. Each is an individual work of art. Imagine that instead of making razor handles, Rafael was a gifted oil painter. He would paint when he wanted to, and he would sell a painting when he wanted to, and nobody would be accusing him of being a poor businessman or being rude. There are hundreds of thousands of artists in the world who do just that. They paint when they feel like painting, and they do with their creations what they wish to do; some of them are sold and are hanging in somebody's house. The people that were lucky enough to get a painting are very happy they have one on the wall. Nobody pressures the artist to paint more pictures.

2) Rafael lives in Spain and doesn't speak English. He lives and operates by codes of conduct that are prevalent where he lives; it is not a realistic expectation that he should behave/interact/etc the way people do where YOU live. It's not about you, it's about him. It's HIS life, HIS town, HIS country. Americans always expect everybody to act like an American. It's ridiculous. (Granted that I have no idea how things are where Rafael lives, but I lived in Asia for over two years, and therefore have an appreciation that other places can be considerably different.) Given the language difference, it is also more difficult for him to communicate.

3) It is my understanding that Rafael has been dealing with some serious health issues off and on for several years, which limits greatly his ability to make handles. If he is confined to bed from COPD or heart failure or has dialysis 3 or 4 days a week, and feels weak almost all of the time, I think it is fair to allow him to work only when he feels up to it, and I think it's pretty inconsiderate to be upset at a person who is too sick to work.

4) What part of "not taking orders" isn't a clear communication? He's not taking orders because he knows he is not up to completing the orders because of his current situation. Perhaps in the future he'll feel well enough to make a few handles; in that case he will begin taking orders again for a limited amount of time, after which he will have to stop taking orders if he can't fill them. What, exactly, is unclear or rude about that? Perhaps he doesn't want to say he's "shut it down" because he is hoping he can take some orders in the future.

In short, I think your criticism of "UFO" (which is really just Rafael) is completely uncalled for and inherently selfish and unfair. Feel free to buy handles from other makers and to enjoy them, but please don't come on here and criticize a man for not living his life at your convenience.

/rant

I apologize for being harsh, but your complaints just really struck a nerve with me today. You are probably a really nice person and I don't mean to impugn your character. I just don't think your criticisms of Rafael are fair.

Z blade, the following is just my two cents:

1) UFO is not a "business" in the typical sense that the word business is used. Rafael makes the handles one by one, by hand. Each is an individual work of art. Imagine that instead of making razor handles, Rafael was a gifted oil painter. He would paint when he wanted to, and he would sell a painting when he wanted to, and nobody would be accusing him of being a poor businessman or being rude. There are hundreds of thousands of artists in the world who do just that. They paint when they feel like painting, and they do with their creations what they wish to do; some of them are sold and are hanging in somebody's house. The people that were lucky enough to get a painting are very happy they have one on the wall. Nobody pressures the artist to paint more pictures.

2) Rafael lives in Spain and doesn't speak English. He lives and operates by codes of conduct that are prevalent where he lives; it is not a realistic expectation that he should behave/interact/etc the way people do where YOU live. It's not about you, it's about him. It's HIS life, HIS town, HIS country. Americans always expect everybody to act like an American. It's ridiculous. (Granted that I have no idea how things are where Rafael lives, but I lived in Asia for over two years, and therefore have an appreciation that other places can be considerably different.) Given the language difference, it is also more difficult for him to communicate.

3) It is my understanding that Rafael has been dealing with some serious health issues off and on for several years, which limits greatly his ability to make handles. If he is confined to bed from COPD or heart failure or has dialysis 3 or 4 days a week, and feels weak almost all of the time, I think it is fair to allow him to work only when he feels up to it, and I think it's pretty inconsiderate to be upset at a person who is too sick to work.

4) What part of "not taking orders" isn't a clear communication? He's not taking orders because he knows he is not up to completing the orders because of his current situation. Perhaps in the future he'll feel well enough to make a few handles; in that case he will begin taking orders again for a limited amount of time, after which he will have to stop taking orders if he can't fill them. What, exactly, is unclear or rude about that? Perhaps he doesn't want to say he's "shut it down" because he is hoping he can take some orders in the future.

In short, I think your criticism of "UFO" (which is really just Rafael) is completely uncalled for and inherently selfish and unfair. Feel free to buy handles from other makers and to enjoy them, but please don't come on here and criticize a man for not living his life at your convenience.

/rant

I apologize for being harsh, but your complaints just really struck a nerve with me today. You are probably a really nice person and I don't mean to impugn your character. I just don't think your criticisms of Rafael are fair.

I am only going by what I know. I have made several threads about it on B&B, and not ONE person has mentioned health issues. Even his assistant (Juan I think?) hasn't answered any questions. That's weird. I know he is a member here.

Posted above is a thread that is exactly what I would think would be polite from a business. And yes, as an artist, if you are making/exchanging money for art, that is a business. His website looks like a business also, not just a hobby.

Sincerely, I hope that Raphael is doing ok. I can sympathize. "Not taking orders" isn't very clear, and being more forthcoming to EVERYONE would be appreciated. That's all I am saying.

My comments are not meant to be critical of UFO. I am completely understanding of real issues, provided they are actually communicated. Selfish on my part? No, I don't think so. Just would appreciate some communication. That's perfectly normal, and not selfish.

"Not taking orders" is unambiguous. He's not under any obligation to manufacture product or explain why he isn't making anything. Making inquiries or being curious is perfectly reasonable but creating a bunch of threads about it borders on the obsessive.

"Not taking orders" is unambiguous. He's not under any obligation to manufacture product or explain why he isn't making anything. Making inquiries or being curious is perfectly reasonable but creating a bunch of threads about it borders on the obsessive.

LOL Obsessive. No. "Not taking orders" is definitely ambiguous.

Look at my post # 27. That explains it. I don't know how to explain it any clearer than that. :)

I would rather talk about my Wolfman, and how I enjoy it, and still be allowed the freedom to compare two similar products, and discuss / ask questions about all things shaving and more. I thought that is what this site is all about.

That is what it's all about. If you're curious about something, ask away. But when you reach a dead end there isn't much more you can do.

How about my WRH-3 that came in today?

$L1030033.jpg$L1030034.jpg

Top Bottom