What's new

Wolfman WR2 vs WR1 Comparison

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
not sure how i missed this thread but am now back on the wolfman list and would love some feedback from you (and anyone else who would like to chime in)

I also have the 1.25 WR2 SB but never tried the 1.15. Put myself on the list today for a WR1 and thinking of the .74 and .80 gaps but after reading this I sort of thinking maybe a WR2 1.15 is what I am after.

I love to shave daily, so really looking for a daily driver here, and always chase BBS with ATG passes (yeah bit obsessed by it actually).

When I first got the 1.25 I was super impressed with its smoothness and efficiency, but trying to shave daily at the start was a bit hard due to how efficient the razor was leaving not much to shave off the next day. So sort of struggled shaving daily.

A few weeks ago I tried to shave daily with the above requirements as another test and found I actually could do it but certainly needed to treat each shave with care and with a good pre and post shave routine, but still did it.

Now you got me thinking I could accomplish this with the 1.15 SB with ease and possibly little more comfort so maybe I get a bronze WR2 1.15.

But I also shaved a couple of times (long way back into my shaving journey) with a standard gap WR1 SB and this quality is what actually got me onto my 'high end' razor journey. This has me thinking I should go for the WR1 to have something different and to compliment my WR2.

I reckon you may of talked me out of the .80 OC cos I really want it as a daily driver and striving more for comfort so probably the .74 if I go with a WR1. Other question is an OC or SB, but reckon best decide on the head and gap first.
That post of mine was almost a year ago. A lot has transpired. I did go back to the WR2 after a period of using the WR1. I did sell the 1.25 and kept the 1.15. It is just that much smoother and has a more luxurious shave feel. And I did buy the 1.55 as suggested above. I use the 1.15 the most. It is smooth and efficient. I use the WR1 .80 OC periodically as it’s the second best OC I have ever used after the Blackland Tradere. The .80 has more blade feel than the WR2 1.15, but is a little more efficient as well. But the WR1 is more sporty and nimble. And gives a completely different shave experience. The 1.55 is a beast, and is crazy efficient. But is it very smooth relative to its gap and blade exposure. It’s a nice razor I break out on the occasion where I want a super aggressive Feeling razor, but don’t want to risk getting nicked or irritated. It gives the illusion of being super aggressive because of all the blade feel. But it really is relatively smooth and safe to use. I don’t use the 1.55 often, but when I do, it’s really enjoyable. And close.

I understand where @It's Hedley is coming from. The WR2 is near perfect, and it’s totally fine to stop there.

On the other hand, you will never know how much you will like the WR1 if you don’t try one. Some prefer the WR1. Some days, I like it better than my WR2. I like @BradWorld’s analogy. The WR1 is like a sports car and, by extension, the WR2 is like a luxury sedan. Which one is for you? Or you one of those, like me, who choose both.

thanks for the replies everyone, but as we all know we seek comments to clarify specifics and they have a way of just confusing us more :)

@It's Hedley you comments make me think the WR2 1.15 is all I need to chase. I know I already love the WR2 1.25 and feel it it just backed of a touch in efficiency would be perfect for daily use. I find the 1.25 ultra smooth which can lull you into a false sense of security and if your not careful it will bite.. but if careful you are delivered and exceptional smooth and efficient shave, biggest problem here is that it is so efficient I dont really need to shave the next day, but I do and there is not much hair to cut off. I would love to hear more from you when you have the time later

@BradWorld I personally would never go up as high as the 1.55, if I needed a fix of that would reach out for the Muhle R41 but your comments on the .80 WR1 have me sitting on the fence. I have tried a .67 WR1 few years back but was too early into my DE journey to really appreciate it but certainly remember it's nimble head and totally get what you mean by its sporty feel and get the different shaving experience it would provide.

@JCarr your comments just make me want to stick with plan A and grab the WR1 .74 SB as I had originally planned. Can I ask, what specifically do you like about the WR1 .74 over the WR2 1.15? and have you tried any WR1 OC before? really looking forward to your direct assessment of the OC v SB of the .74 when you get it, will go a long way in helping me decide

@CJB3 you give me hope that I can be one in the smaller camp that enjoys both razors. I mentioned before I have tried a WR1 but unfortunately it was so long ago and early into shaving I cant appreciate or remember the experience except for that the time was the best razor I had used and loved that thin head.

@Leverspro you also give me hope I may bond with a WR1 and if I do go down this route the next question would be do I go for SB or OC? I would love to know more on your thoughts about your WR1 .86 DC and how the OC and SB sides compare to each other?

thanks for all the replies, really appreciate them all

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
thanks for the replies everyone, but as we all know we seek comments to clarify specifics and they have a way of just confusing us more :)

@It's Hedley you comments make me think the WR2 1.15 is all I need to chase. I know I already love the WR2 1.25 and feel it it just backed of a touch in efficiency would be perfect for daily use. I find the 1.25 ultra smooth which can lull you into a false sense of security and if your not careful it will bite.. but if careful you are delivered and exceptional smooth and efficient shave, biggest problem here is that it is so efficient I dont really need to shave the next day, but I do and there is not much hair to cut off. I would love to hear more from you when you have the time later

@BradWorld I personally would never go up as high as the 1.55, if I needed a fix of that would reach out for the Muhle R41 but your comments on the .80 WR1 have me sitting on the fence. I have tried a .67 WR1 few years back but was too early into my DE journey to really appreciate it but certainly remember it's nimble head and totally get what you mean by its sporty feel and get the different shaving experience it would provide.

@JCarr your comments just make me want to stick with plan A and grab the WR1 .74 SB as I had originally planned. Can I ask, what specifically do you like about the WR1 .74 over the WR2 1.15? and have you tried any WR1 OC before? really looking forward to your direct assessment of the OC v SB of the .74 when you get it, will go a long way in helping me decide

@CJB3 you give me hope that I can be one in the smaller camp that enjoys both razors. I mentioned before I have tried a WR1 but unfortunately it was so long ago and early into shaving I cant appreciate or remember the experience except for that the time was the best razor I had used and loved that thin head.

@Leverspro you also give me hope I may bond with a WR1 and if I do go down this route the next question would be do I go for SB or OC? I would love to know more on your thoughts about your WR1 .86 DC and how the OC and SB sides compare to each other?

I will leave you with this. Out of all the razors I have had... hundreds... and lots of expensive ones too.... out of all of them, if someone put the proverbial gun to my head and said I could only have one razor, it would be the WR2 1.15. No contest.

and it’s totally fine to stop there.

It's probably a good idea to stop when you've tried 12 razors... it's easy to get caught up in the chase when you've already got a perfectly good razor. I tried way too many gaps trying to second guess my ideal WR1 gap. I must have tried every gap except the .86 with varying degrees of success.

The .67 is a great gap in the open comb. Smoothness of the .61 with an uptick in efficiency. I always go for the OC with the WR1.

That said, I'm impatiently waiting for my WR3 to ship.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
thanks for the replies everyone, but as we all know we seek comments to clarify specifics and they have a way of just confusing us more

I really like the blade feel of the WR1 over the WR2. That might sound weird, but it makes me feel like I have a bit more control. Also the overall silhouette of the WR1 head...it's much sleeker than the WR2. Not that I would consider the WR2 clunky...it's a nice design...but I prefer the look of the WR1. I've found on my shave journey that if I have a choice of SB and OC...I tend to like the OC experience a bit more...hence me getting back on the Wolfman waiting list for the OC. I've got the right gap for me in the .74...but I think the OC would be a better experience overall and I'm willing to pay for that. I haven't tried a WR1 OC in any gap at all, but I'm fairly confident that the experience would be similar to the SB with a mild uptick in efficiency.

The WR2 gives a great shave...and I will keep it in the rotation, but the WR1 I like better.

Best of luck in your decision. Hoping Wolfman reaches out to me in three to five months for an order confirmation.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've had both WR1 .74 and WR2 -1.25 both open combed plus a couple Guerrillas .. I liked the WR2 head best of all. I think the blade location/clamping/fixing is more robust with that one, but both worked very well for me.

I've wondered about a WR3 though .. is he making them again? Seems last I heard they had been on hiatus for some reason ..

It's probably a good idea to stop when you've tried 12 razors... it's easy to get caught up in the chase when you've already got a perfectly good razor. I tried way too many gaps trying to second guess my ideal WR1 gap. I must have tried every gap except the .86 with varying degrees of success.

The .67 is a great gap in the open comb. Smoothness of the .61 with an uptick in efficiency. I always go for the OC with the WR1.

That said, I'm impatiently waiting for my WR3 to ship.

I have only owned one wolfman so far, the WR2 1.25 SB

Just got word that I will be receiving a WR1 0.67 OC to trial out. Wont be for a month or so and prob too mild for me but at least I will get to give the WR1 OC a crack and if I like it i'll def go for a WR1

I really like the blade feel of the WR1 over the WR2. That might sound weird, but it makes me feel like I have a bit more control. Also the overall silhouette of the WR1 head...it's much sleeker than the WR2. Not that I would consider the WR2 clunky...it's a nice design...but I prefer the look of the WR1. I've found on my shave journey that if I have a choice of SB and OC...I tend to like the OC experience a bit more...hence me getting back on the Wolfman waiting list for the OC. I've got the right gap for me in the .74...but I think the OC would be a better experience overall and I'm willing to pay for that. I haven't tried a WR1 OC in any gap at all, but I'm fairly confident that the experience would be similar to the SB with a mild uptick in efficiency.

The WR2 gives a great shave...and I will keep it in the rotation, but the WR1 I like better.

Best of luck in your decision. Hoping Wolfman reaches out to me in three to five months for an order confirmation.

not weird at all mate, some people like a bit of blade feel others don't.. i dont mind it myself, as long as the shave is smooth. Also agree the WR1 is a much sexier looking head than the WR2 especially in the OC version. I am leaning to the .74 myself so your input of OC v SB in this gap would be extremely helpful when you get it..

really looking forward to your thoughts on this

I have only owned one wolfman so far, the WR2 1.25 SB

Just got word that I will be receiving a WR1 0.67 OC to trial out. Wont be for a month or so and prob too mild for me but at least I will get to give the WR1 OC a crack and if I like it i'll def go for a WR1
I have had a .67 WR1 OC, on @Fedsbackhand advice, since May. Its a great daily shaver for me! I've used almost exclusively since then! I hope you like your trial run!

I will leave you with this. Out of all the razors I have had... hundreds... and lots of expensive ones too.... out of all of them, if someone put the proverbial gun to my head and said I could only have one razor, it would be the WR2 1.15. No contest.
Good morning gentlemen,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Brad hit the nail on the head. If I were to have only one razor, it would be the WR2 1.15 SB. As it stands, it is only one of three razors I have kept out of many (not quite hundreds, but close).

As I mentioned previously, I also have a Gillette Hybrid Tech and Gillette New SC. The WR2 1.15 SB is still very efficient with a 3 pass shave to achieve BBS. There are days that I don't want to have as close a shave on back to back days (or my face needs a break from efficiency), that is what the Hybrid Tech is for and the New SC offers some variety with an OC. I can 3 pass shave with the Hybrid Tech blindfolded and never worry about a nick. The Wolf still requires awareness, if distracted and not paying attention to technique, it can can bite.

Like you StratMan, the WR2 1.25 SB provided a terrific shave, but I did not need a shave the next day and bordered on irritation due to efficiency and repeated passes. I can certainly get a great shave with 2 passes with either the WR2 1.25 or 1.15, but changing my routine to accommodate the razor didn't make sense when I could adjust the razor to my routine. In your case, you may need a 1.05 SB, but from the sound of it, a 1.15 SB and maybe using a milder razor on occasion like I do, will have you in shaving nirvana.

StratMan, if you have any other questions, happy to help.

I hope this helps and that everyone in the B&B community has been doing well.

It's Hedley

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In honor of this thread, I pulled the WR1 .80 OC into action today.

2022-08-19 11.29.57.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Good morning gentlemen,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Brad hit the nail on the head. If I were to have only one razor, it would be the WR2 1.15 SB. As it stands, it is only one of three razors I have kept out of many (not quite hundreds, but close).

As I mentioned previously, I also have a Gillette Hybrid Tech and Gillette New SC. The WR2 1.15 SB is still very efficient with a 3 pass shave to achieve BBS. There are days that I don't want to have as close a shave on back to back days (or my face needs a break from efficiency), that is what the Hybrid Tech is for and the New SC offers some variety with an OC. I can 3 pass shave with the Hybrid Tech blindfolded and never worry about a nick. The Wolf still requires awareness, if distracted and not paying attention to technique, it can can bite.

Like you StratMan, the WR2 1.25 SB provided a terrific shave, but I did not need a shave the next day and bordered on irritation due to efficiency and repeated passes. I can certainly get a great shave with 2 passes with either the WR2 1.25 or 1.15, but changing my routine to accommodate the razor didn't make sense when I could adjust the razor to my routine. In your case, you may need a 1.05 SB, but from the sound of it, a 1.15 SB and maybe using a milder razor on occasion like I do, will have you in shaving nirvana.

StratMan, if you have any other questions, happy to help.

I hope this helps and that everyone in the B&B community has been doing well.

It's Hedley
Good to see you, my friend. :)

Top Bottom