What's new

Wolfman WR2 vs. Razorock BBS

I was playing around with straight razor shaving but about a month ago my wife and I decided to move and I had to pack up all my gear which left me with a couple DEs to play with until we moved and I could get my gear back out. My favorite setup until that point was the WR2 0.95 SB w/Gillette Nacet. However, I still was having problems ATG (ingrown, weepers, tugging, or simply not getting close). However, it was still the best I have used to that point. I tried shims - didn't work. Some people have an easy time going ATG - I, unfortunately, am not one of them. My hair grows almost flat or parallel to my face and I get a tone of tugging and weepers.

I had a RR BBS that I decided to play with (after shelving it for almost a year). With a Nacet, I was just floored about how easy it was to go ATG. My shaves are not perfect yet. I am still playing around with angles and skin stretching, but my hardest parts (jawline and mustache) are the smoothest I have ever gotten them on a semi-consistent basis. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens much more than with my WR2. I just got the OC and A plates to play with them too.

In SR shaving, the goal is to get the blade to cut at the flattest angle, I am thinking with the way the BBS is designed, its probably one of the flattest (or THE flattest) a DE blade has been on my face with the safety bar still touching my face. Not sure if that is the trick or what but its been an interesting experience.

Anyone else compare these two razors? How did they fare for you?

SR shaving, the goal is to get the blade to cut at the flattest angle, I am thinking with the way the BBS is designed, its probably one of the flattest (or THE flattest) a DE blade has been on my face with the safety bar still touching my face. Not sure if that is the trick or what but its been an interesting experience.
I subscribe to that theory also, which is why I got the RR Mamba 53 with its 16⁰ blade angle.
It hasn't arrived yet, but I have high hopes for it because of that flat angle.

Next purchase would probably be either the Mamba 70 or BBS, because of that extremely curved blade.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don't have a single Wolfman razor. But I have a ton of RazoRock razors and their clones as well.

I think the "A" plate might be just your thing given your description of your problem zones.

It is not available right now, but the Wunderbar, one of my favorite razors (it's just a bit too silent and low on feedback for perfection and my oppressively preferences), might work wonders for your skin, too.

I have a Chinese copy of the Wunderbar enroute, hope I still remember this thread when it arrives.

I have a Lupo, which of supposedly a Wolfman head copy. It has an entirely different approach to shaving, despite also featuring a slim and flat head.

It will be interesting to hear if the Mamba will turn out better than the BBS for the previous poster. Because the BBS is supposedly an evolution of the Mamba head.

You could also experiment with handle length and weight, for ATG below the chin I prefer a long handle and using a long slow stroke instead of a lot of buffing.

I have a Lupo, which of supposedly a Wolfman head copy. It has an entirely different approach to shaving, despite also featuring a slim and flat head.
Didn't know that, but actually found some threads that compare the Lupo with the WR1. Thanks for mentioning that :)
Is there any RR that is similar to the WR2?

It will be interesting to hear if the Mamba will turn out better than the BBS for the previous poster. Because the BBS is supposedly an evolution of the Mamba head.
Again Mamba -> BBS is news to me. Can you point to any threads where this is discussed?
I expect the Mamba to arrive tomorrow, so I'm very eager to try it this weekend with the exact same gear I used for the Henson Med for my previous shave!

I expected my next purchase to be the Mamba 70, but based on posts here I now have two additional options: BBS and GC 68. Of the two I'm more intrigued by the BBS because of the round blade tbh.
Overall, it's just getting harder to decide... :)

Didn't know that, but actually found some threads that compare the Lupo with the WR1. Thanks for mentioning that :)

Again Mamba -> BBS is news to me. Can you point to any threads where this is discussed?
I expect the Mamba to arrive tomorrow, so I'm very eager to try it this weekend with the exact same gear I used for the Henson Med for my previous shave!

I expected my next purchase to be the Mamba 70, but based on posts here I now have two additional options: BBS and GC 68. Of the two I'm more intrigued by the BBS because of the round blade tbh.
Honestly - there is is nothin on the market like the WR2 although you can search threads to hear people talk about that very concept. High blade gap with comparatively little exposure is an interesting combination.

I have a GC 68 and GC 84 and I like the BBS better.

Honestly - there is is nothin on the market like the WR2 although you can search threads to hear people talk about that very concept. High blade gap with comparatively little exposure is an interesting combination.
Aren't the Tatara razors with the neutral/negative blade along those same lines? Though probably not as much as the WR2 it seems.

I have a GC 68 and GC 84 and I like the BBS better.
Another vote for the BBS then; I'm tempted to order the BBS before I've even received the Mamba!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hi, not quite, but the Mamba was already there in ~2015 ("70" ~ 2018), the BBS was released mid 2020, so... I just did a quick search but must disappoint. The Mamba "70" was often compared with the GameChanger 68, haven't seen nearly as much talk about the BBS. Which is a bit surprising...
Of the BBS models, the AS is aggressive without gaining overly much, but the "A" was very much to my liking. Don't have the OC plate of the BBS. And, probably not just purely subjective but I think that's just true, the Wunderbar, which looks already like a twisted BBS, is just a miracle when it comes to shave quality and closeness. So, there is your third option! ;)

I am more in the "Game Changer .84 is quite mild" camp, quite a lot more on the aggressive side of razor preference. I regularly preach that the supposedly aggressive Wunderbar actually isn't so aggressive. It's a very smooth and skin friendly razor with a tendency to bite bad if things go wrong. So well, how to rate that?! :)

Lupo means wolf in Italian, I don't know which head they exactly copied. WR1 or WR2, maybe a Wolfman owner would be better to make that distinction.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I'm tempted to order the BBS before I've even received the Mamba

I don’t have a Mamba — someone bought the last 53 on a UFO handle before I could stop pretending I’m sensible — so I can only say the BBS ‘Standard’ is both more efficient and more apt to bite the reckless shaver (me!) than most reviews and the ad writers for Italian Barber might have one believe. I find it a little more comfortable and just a little less efficient than their Hawk V3OC single edge razor, but with much cheaper razor blades.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use three labels to categorize my razors:
  • Big Dogs
  • Runs With The Big Dogs
  • Extended, Occasional Use
The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, the original RazoRock BBS and the BBS OC are in my Den. They differ in how they shave, required angle and overall feel. They all remove your whiskers.

The Wolfman is a world class razor that provides consistently excellent results and is in the upper tier of the Big Dogs category.

Both RazoRock BBS razors in my Den (Original and OC) are very good razors that reside in the Extended, Occasional Use category.

Hope this helps. :)

Of the BBS models, the AS is aggressive without gaining overly much, but the "A" was very much to my liking. Don't have the OC plate of the BBS. And, probably not just purely subjective but I think that's just true, the Wunderbar, which looks already like a twisted BBS, is just a miracle when it comes to shave quality and closeness. So, there is your third option! ;)
I think the Wunderbar would be way too aggressive for me. I have the Merkur 37c and I haven't completed a full shave with it because it feels so "scrapy".
I read your post where you compare all your RR razors: would you agree with RRs chart regarding the relative aggressiveness between their razors?

I don’t have a Mamba — someone bought the last 53 on a UFO handle before I could stop pretending I’m sensible — so I can only say the BBS ‘Standard’ is both more efficient and more apt to bite the reckless shaver (me!) than most reviews and the ad writers for Italian Barber might have one believe. I find it a little more comfortable and just a little less efficient than their Hawk V3OC single edge razor, but with much cheaper razor blades.
Nudging me closer to order the BBS...

The Wolfman is a world class razor that provides consistently excellent results and is in the upper tier of the Big Dogs category.
The issue with the Wolfman (besides from availability!) isn't the price per se, I'd gladly pay that amount if I could be certain it would work as well for me as most claim. But I don't want to shell out that amount for a razor that might end up collecting dust.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The issue with the Wolfman (besides from availability!) isn't the price per se, I'd gladly pay that amount if I could be certain it would work as well for me as most claim. But I don't want to shell out that amount for a razor that might end up collecting dust.
That is a consideration, although it seems that most Wolfman razors sell pretty fast (and for top dollar) when listed in the B-S-T.

I think the Wunderbar would be way too aggressive for me. I have the Merkur 37c and I haven't completed a full shave with it because it feels so "scrapy".
I read your post where you compare all your RR razors: would you agree with RRs chart regarding the relative aggressiveness between their razors?

Nudging me closer to order the BBS...

I will add that I recently ordered a non-standard gap WR2 (1.65) and they cautioned me that it can't be returned, so I think that implies if you are ordering a standard model and are unhappy with how it shaves, they would take it back if you did not want to sell it elsewhere. David's right though, they sell quick in the BST.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yes, the relation seems spot on.
In general I would say: The Game Changer .84 is still quite mild, and so is the supposedly most aggressive dog, the Lupo .95. They aren't THAT aggressive. -> The whole RR scale is, compared to many other razors, rather on the mid to mild end. The R41 wouldn't find a place on it except at the very top! :)

Exception: Wunderbar. It doesn't fit in the scale. I find even GC 84 or JAWS to be more aggressive than the Wunderbar. This one is rather very mild, somewhat related at least in visuals and shaving angle to the BBS line. It's a very smooth sailor, but it can bite to a degree that only the BBS AS can come close to. But shaving with it is smoother than the JAWS or OC could ever be. It's hard to put that distinction onto a scale.
-> It is actually smoother, but with higher injury potential.

Yes, I could not order 2-3 Wolfmans to find my favorite, that's out of my league. So I would have to think hard and hope to make a correct guess. My major problem is the waiting list. For some its part of the charm, for me the #1 detractor.

I will try several dozens of razors in the next years, maybe I will one day have gained the ultimate wisdom to pick the right Wolfman with superior confidence. I am not very confident of that though, hehe. Also, I would have to pay taxes and customs as well. Which already were quite a thing when I ordered a mere plate and one handle from Timeless. Thankfully i could get an already imported one within Europe. Scratch and Dent sales are directly from Timeless, might try one at some point but for Timeless I already got the .95 scalloped head and the .5 Slim OC head, the only thing I would like from them now is something they don't offer yet: The Crown and Spiral handle (titanium only, or bronze as well for the Spiral, but NOT in stainless steel) in stainless steel. I dig their looks and form factor. Also, I have a strong preference for stainless steel. It's so shiny and I like the heft. And I just have so many SS parts to combine already. Titanium is my second favorite before bronze and brass. Haptically and due to easily being scratched, aluminum totally rubs me the wrong way. And I have gotten too much of a snob to use zamac.

Regarding Merkur razors: Except for the Futur they are all mild, the Progress could perhaps be classified as medium. And I do include the slants in that assessment as well. Regarding your doubts about the Wunderbar given your experiences with the 37C: Well, not really a good comparison, even if it is a slant. In many characteristics its much more like the BBS line than a Merkur slant, which I would not deem a good slant to compare the Wunderbar with. If you want to give a cheaper slant a try, the FOCS/Fatip Lo Storto is always an option. I wish they would make unplated all brass or steel versions of this one.

I think you will like the BBS A a lot. I have some Chinese copies of the Mamba. I don't know how they compare to the original Mambas, but they can't hold a candle to the BBS A. I am fairly confident that the BBS is an improved version of the Mamba with which it shares so many characteristics.

And YOU are the one to put this theory to the test! :)

I don't have either dog in this thread but just have 1 general comment... Most people that use the prices of a Wolfman as an excuse to not buy one is a pretty weak excuse because the majority of them have multiple razors in their collection and I would bet that if you add up how much each razor cost them, in total I'd be willing to bet that they come very close to or even more than the cost of a Wolfman!! There is a lot of useful information on this forum and on a few others on the internet that will guide you to making a very informed decision as to what blade gap would be best for you as well and if it works out to not be the right one the BST will help you recoup every penny you spent for one or there might be someone out there that would be willing to trade with that would have the gap you are looking for as a replacement so there's no need to even go back on the list to get a replacement!!

Since I started traditional wet shaving back in 2016, every razor I'd purchased that didn't work out for me, (approx 20-25), I sold on the BST, and in most cases, for less than what I originally paid for them to help finance my next purchase instead of just throwing it in a drawer to never see daylight again!! I even sold a Fatboy and a V1 SS General to finance my Timeless Ti95DC so basically I was out nothing and actually got a high end razor that I've used exclusively for the last 3yrs until recently... My general philosophy is if I'm not using it regularly, (weekly), then it doesn't need to be taking up space in my cabinet and certainly can be used by someone else!!

I don't have either dog in this thread but just have 1 general comment... Most people that use the prices of a Wolfman as an excuse to not buy one is a pretty weak excuse because the majority of them have multiple razors in their collection and I would bet that if you add up how much each razor cost them, in total I'd be willing to bet that they come very close to or even more than the cost of a Wolfman!! There is a lot of useful information on this forum and on a few others on the internet that will guide you to making a very informed decision as to what blade gap would be best for you as well and if it works out to not be the right one the BST will help you recoup every penny you spent for one or there might be someone out there that would be willing to trade with that would have the gap you are looking for as a replacement so there's no need to even go back on the list to get a replacement!!

Since I started traditional wet shaving back in 2016, every razor I'd purchased that didn't work out for me, (approx 20-25), I sold on the BST, and in most cases, for less than what I originally paid for them to help finance my next purchase instead of just throwing it in a drawer to never see daylight again!! I even sold a Fatboy and a V1 SS General to finance my Timeless Ti95DC so basically I was out nothing and actually got a high end razor that I've used exclusively for the last 3yrs until recently... My general philosophy is if I'm not using it regularly, (weekly), then it doesn't need to be taking up space in my cabinet and certainly can be used by someone else!!
This.

I have over a dozen razors and since I bought my first Wolfman, I MIGHT use 5 of them but the WM gets 90% of the use. I would sell the majority of them but Canadian shipping is expensive so it doesn't make sense to sell a razor for $30 when shipping is $20.

I have a second WM on the way with a different gap and if I don’t like it, I will list it on the BST for what I paid and it will sell immediately. If I wasn’t so lazy, I could put it on eBay and make $100 or so. Or just return it for a refund.

Rare to be able to try arguably the best razor made with zero risk if you don’t like it.

for anyone that wants to try a WM but doesn’t have the $$$, buy a Lupo to try if you are good with buying a clone.

I will add that I recently ordered a non-standard gap WR2 (1.65) and they cautioned me that it can't be returned, so I think that implies if you are ordering a standard model and are unhappy with how it shaves, they would take it back if you did not want to sell it elsewhere. David's right though, they sell quick in the BST.
Didn't know they can take it back, thanks for pointing it out.

Either way I signed up for a WR2 a few days ago.

I've been playing around with the BBS some more. Against the RR BBS in wtg and xtg passes I feel the Wr2 mows down hair better.

I did some 3 pass shaves with the wtg and xtg passes with the Wr2 and then did atg with both (half face WR2 and other half BBS). I'm getting a really nice BBS with the RR BBS compared to the Wr2.

Also I'm using RR bbs as a cleanup atg pass for my straight shaves. It's great.

Some preliminary thoughts on the BBS OC and BBS A - I am honestly not seeing much if any difference atg. Wtg and Xtg are not better than Wr2. OC seemed harsher to me than A plate. Will need to do more testing.

If you have the BBS already, I wouldn't really go for the Mamba. I have the Mamba 70 and the BBS, as well as the BBS HA. I would say the BBS is much more efficient than the Mamba without being more aggressive. But if you like SUPER mild razors, then yeah, the Mamba is brilliant without being at all scary.

Top Bottom