What's new

Wolfman WR2 OC vs SB?

Can anyone describe the difference between the open comb and the solid bar WR2? I have a WR1 OC and find it very similar to the WR1 SB. Is there any consensus for the WR2?

I have a dual comb 1.15 and in my experience the OC side has blade feel
And the SB side has none or at least very
Little and the OC side shaves a little closer
And a little less smoother. But @loot has
Much more experience with this issue
Than I do.

That's what I'm leaning toward - a 1.15 SB or OC. Although now maybe SB. I'm also thinking going down to a 1.05. Currently I'm happy with both Timeless gaps of .68 or .95. It doesn't matter much to me. I'm also happy with my Wolfman WR1. 61.

That's what I'm leaning toward - a 1.15 SB or OC. Although now maybe SB. I'm also thinking going down to a 1.05. Currently I'm happy with both Timeless gaps of .68 or .95. It doesn't matter much to me. I'm also happy with my Wolfman WR1. 61.

Interesting!

I tried a dual comb WR1 and found that I preferred the SB by a small margin: it was smoother and a wee bit more comfortable!

So the argument comes down to whether you want another OC or if you want variety! For me the dual comb would not work as well because I like to keep things the same as I ‘flip’ from side to side during my shaves. Clearly, you cannot go wrong here!! :a29: :a29:

I have been wondering much time about this and I don’t understand why it would make any difference if the gap is the same. Either closed or open, shouldn’t the bar keep the skin in the same distance from the blade? I can’t imagine that the skin somehow gets inside the tiny open comb spaces to make it more aggressive. Especially if someone does not press the bar on the skin or rides the cap. Yet many people claim there is difference. Anyone that has tried both in same gap has any idea why they would feel different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Figure 6 (below) defines how I shave — light pressure and a very steep angle. The SB is meant to lift up the hair so the blade mows it down.

The WR2 SB excels at this technique; the OC version, IMO, introduces an unnecessary variable.
40E97813-412F-4BC5-ACC8-CCCC3F8AEEFB.png

I’ve had multiple DC WR2s. Now I have all SB WR2s. I’d go with either OC or SB in a WR1, but only SB in WR2 henceforth.

I have the WR2 with DC 1.15 OC/SB (plus solid WRH2 handle, 90mm).
I can't really pick any difference in face feel, or in the shave results.
Tried a variety of blades too.
Went with the OC/SB combination as wanted to see how Wolfman razors 'worked'.
Maybe my old skin can't tell the difference now?
Most of my razors are OC and the WR2 is certainly smooth. Maybe even a tad smoother than my stainless Karve #D SB.

I have the WR2 with DC 1.15 OC/SB (plus solid WRH2 handle, 90mm).
I can't really pick any difference in face feel, or in the shave results.
Tried a variety of blades too.
Went with the OC/SB combination as wanted to see how Wolfman razors 'worked'.
Maybe my old skin can't tell the difference now?
Most of my razors are OC and the WR2 is certainly smooth. Maybe even a tad smoother than my stainless Karve #D SB.

Do you also use a steep angle? Perhaps SB matters more in steep angles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you also use a steep angle?
I've never really noticed. I tend to grab a razor, and just use it.
Start off riding the cap for first couple of strokes then adjust the angle until I get the best 'feel' and sound of whiskers being mowed down.
I 'think' that too steep an angle gives more of a scraping shave and maybe shortens blade life (?).
A shallow angle lets the blade cut, and keeps the edge from curling (blunting).
My thoughts anyway, YMMV as per usual.

I've had the opportunity to try both an OC and a SB with the same blade gap and I prefer the SB. Equal efficiency, but the SB felt smoother.

I would only recommend an OC if you're in the habit of shaving a once a week or so. My 2 cents..

I have received today the SB 1.15, previously owning the OC 1.15. I could compare them closely, using one head on each side of the face.
5 days growth, WTG, XTG and ATG passes - both heads loaded with Astra SP.
I didn't notice any difference in terms of efficiency, the third pass seemed to be more comfortable with the SB (less prone to irritations; I have sensitive skin).
IMO, the OC has more blade feel, whereas the SB feels smoother and easier to shave with.
No difference in the result, both are fantastic shavers.

Maybe a 5 days growth is not relevant to judge a razor, all I can say is that the differences were quite noticeable for me. Maybe a daily shaver would feel a different contrast between the two.

If I would have to shave in the dark, I'll probably go for the SB.

To end my comment in a good note, I'm priviledged to own both and over the moon with how they perform. Without a shaddow of doubt, both will stay in my den forever. And ever.

Hope it helps.

1584117059562.png

1584117076726.png

1584117090989.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have received today the SB 1.15, previously owning the OC 1.15. I could compare them closely, using one head on each side of the face.
I didn't notice any difference in terms of efficiency, the third pass seemed to be more comfortable with the SB (less prone to irritations; I have sensitive skin).
IMO, the OC has more blade feel, whereas the SB feels smoother and easier to shave with.

Maybe a 5 days growth is not relevant to judge a razor, all I can say is that the differences were quite noticeable for me. Maybe a daily shaver would feel a different contrast between the two.

To end my comment in a good note, I'm priviledged to own both and over the moon with how they perform. Without a shaddow of doubt, both will stay in my den forever. And ever.

Hope it helps.

View attachment 1073865

View attachment 1073866

View attachment 1073867
Those really are beautiful razors.

Hope it helps.

View attachment 1073865

View attachment 1073866

View attachment 1073867
That's good to know. I went with the same razor. How long did it take to ship once you paid?

Interesting!

I tried a dual comb WR1 and found that I preferred the SB by a small margin: it was smoother and a wee bit more comfortable!

So the argument comes down to whether you want another OC or if you want variety! For me the dual comb would not work as well because I like to keep things the same as I ‘flip’ from side to side during my shaves. Clearly, you cannot go wrong here!! :a29: :a29:
The 1.05 SB is super smooth and very efficient using a nacet or feather blade at a very steep angle. Ride the bar!!! I have the Bronze version, awesome razor...

Top Bottom