What's new

Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB: First Shave Assessment

Sounds like you need a WR2 1.15
Yeah. Possibly. I have only used the Blackbird twice and it has been in a rotation. I think I may go with it for 3-4 days in a row and also for a few months to see how that works for me before really basing my WR2 plate on it .. LOL.

Good thing. I have time since I just waitlisted this week for the Wolfman.

Thanks for the great review! I am expecting my own WR2 to be shipped this week. I ordered the 1.05 upon a suggestion since I do prefer mild(er) shavers. For example, the Blackbird, while beautiful, scares me :)

I am considering shimming the 1.05 (eventually and if need be) to explore what a higher gap might feel like.
I received a 1.05 this fall and it’s enough gap for me. I use Timeless 0.65/0.95, Fatip, Blackland Vector, Rex (3.0 setting), ATT Windsor (h plate) for reference. The Wolfman did not blow me away upon first use. It became a part of my rotation. But lately it’s all I have been using. Paired with a Nacet blade it’s about perfect.
i was recently alerted my spot in line for a WR1 came up( in line since Nov) and i ordered a .64 with a hollow handle which James said should be a comparable aggressiveness.

Happy shaves!

I received a 1.05 this fall and it’s enough gap for me. I use Timeless 0.65/0.95, Fatip, Blackland Vector, Rex (3.0 setting), ATT Windsor (h plate) for reference. The Wolfman did not blow me away upon first use. It became a part of my rotation. But lately it’s all I have been using. Paired with a Nacet blade it’s about perfect.
i was recently alerted my spot in line for a WR1 came up( in line since Nov) and i ordered a .64 with a hollow handle which James said should be a comparable aggressiveness.

Happy shaves!
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the use of both designs.

I conclude the 1.15 is too mild for me
As you wait for a trade, you might want to consider shimming the 1.15 to see what a 1.25/35/45/55 might feel like. I believe @Hannah's Dad did this to explore the WR2 as well.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
As you wait for a trade, you might want to consider shimming the 1.15 to see what a 1.25/35/45/55 might feel like. I believe @Hannah's Dad did this to explore the WR2 as well.
Great advice!

I've never done it either, but it seems quite easy. You just snip a little of a razor blade's long edges away, and put that blade between the razor plate and your cutting blade. Here's a guide I found:

From what I can tell, you don't want to cut a lot away because you want to maintain blade rigidity (certainly at least enough to cover the base plate that supports the razor fully so that the shim(s) and cutting blade are fully supported and clamped, if that makes sense). You just need to cut enough off so that it's safe.

Hannah's Dad

I have been wet shaving since 2013 but have never shimmed before, any advice on how to do that?
This should get you started:

This should get you started:
ty!

I have a double comb: 1.15 OC and 1.25 SB. Slightly more blade feel with the OC, but the results are quite similar. So yeah, if you feel the 1.15 isn't close enough ... unless it is just a hair off, then maybe jump up to the 1.35.

I think the 1.15 OC / 1.25 SB is good for daily use. My hair doesn't grow that fast, so anything higher would probably be an every-other-day shaver.

EDIT: The shimming idea is great. I'll try that, too!

I have a double comb: 1.15 OC and 1.25 SB. Slightly more blade feel with the OC, but the results are quite similar. So yeah, if you feel the 1.15 isn't close enough ... unless it is just a hair off, then maybe jump up to the 1.35.

I think the 1.15 OC / 1.25 SB is good for daily use. My hair doesn't grow that fast, so anything higher would probably be an every-other-day shaver.

EDIT: The shimming idea is great. I'll try that, too!

Definitely the lowest gap i will get on my next wolfman will be at least 1.35 (based on my shim experiments) today or tomorrow i will be doing 1.15 with 4 shims to simulate a 1.55! Lets see how it goes

Definitely the lowest gap i will get on my next wolfman will be at least 1.35 (based on my shim experiments) today or tomorrow i will be doing 1.15 with 4 shims to simulate a 1.55! Lets see how it goes
I haven't read through the thread in detail, but I saw that some people were shimming with old blades, and others with credit cards (or something similar). Can I check, is it one blade per level up?

It will be when they’re ready to build your razor — you’ve got time to obses—I mean assess your preferences.
So I ordered 2 weeks ago, and the obsessing has begun already! I'm looking for the WR2 gap in straight bar that is at least as efficient as my Muhle Rocca but as smooth as my Gamechanger .84. Does such a unicorn exist? (At this point you could probably be charging a consulting fee for all the Wolf Man Razors advise you give lol)!

I haven't read through the thread in detail, but I saw that some people were shimming with old blades, and others with credit cards (or something similar). Can I check, is it one blade per level up?
Yes sir! Luckily each DE Blade is .10mm wide, so it fits the Wolfman WR2 GAP progression perfectly! Each Blade Shim add .10mm, one higher gap. I did the 1.15 with 2 DE blades shims, making it a "1.35"

Hannah's Dad

So I ordered 2 weeks ago, and the obsessing has begun already! I'm looking for the WR2 gap in straight bar that is at least as efficient as my Muhle Rocca but as smooth as my Gamechanger .84. Does such a unicorn exist? (At this point you could probably be charging a consulting fee for all the Wolf Man Razors advise you give lol)!
I don’t have experience with a Rocca. But the gap most like the .84 GC is probably a 1.15. The 1.25 has a smidge more aggression, but is still very comfortable. You can’t really go wrong with either gap — so get some sleep.

Maybe this is not the place to ask... but what is the difference between WR1 and WR2 ?
For me the main difference is head design. WR1 is traditional three post razor. The WR2 just has the threaded post and then four extensions at the corners that fit snuggly with the base plate. I get a better shave from my WR1 but prefer the WR2 because it is easier to dry, which is nice if you live in a humid environment.

Update #2 - Decided to go 3 shims to make my WR2 1.15, a simulated 1.45. Decided to only go 3 shims vs 4, due to many said there is a marked difference between 1.35 and 1.45. Now into the shave:

The "1.45" definitely steps up a good notch on blade feel over the 1.35, as well in the aggressive feel during the shave (i was shaving a bit more cautious with this one, vs the brainless shave I could do with the "1.35". Nonetheless, the 1.45 did not bite at all during the shave, it was just after the shave that I felt my face was a bit raw for about 20 mins after the shave. This raw feeling lasted very little but it was accompanied by a Straight Razor-like BBS. After the 20 mins, all I feel is baby smooth face and I'm even wondering if the shave is so close, that I might not even grow hair again lol :c9:

I have gotten a few Barber shaves and this would be the equivalent to that, from memory. No other DE razor has come close to this feeling, ever. (Note: I also noted the shims got a bit separated once I closed the Cap and locked the handle, so this 1.45, might be a bit more, like 1.50).

I'm so glad I only did 3 shims, now I can 100% attest the 1.45 would be my maximum upper limit on the WR2. There is no way to shave deeper than this. Now I have narrowed my decision between 1.35 SB or 1.45 SB (or maybe a DC 1.35/1.45).

I strongly recommend to all owners of the WR2 to use shims to get an idea of how a higher gap would feel and/or perform on your face.

I will do a few more alternate shaves between the simulated 1.35 and 1.45 to get to a final decision after. This has been so much fun for me!

Also wanted to do a brief comparison of the simulated 1.35 and 1.45 vs the mighty Blackbird, since I know is a much-requested comparison.

The 1.35 has bit less blade feel than the blackbird, but slightly more efficient (longer-lasting BBS, bit closer shave)

The 1.45 has maybe a bit more blade feel than the blackbird (just by a touch) but its smoother during the shave. Of course, is much more efficient than the blackbird.

So in terms of Blade feel, a Blackbird would be akin to a "1.40" in the WR2; in terms of shave results and efficiency, the blackbird would be akin to a "1.30" in the WR2. That would be my best estimate. Given that, people that love the blackbird will equally love either 1.35 or 1.45 for sure.

Top Bottom