What's new

Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB: First Shave Assessment

Indeed it WAS, my favorite — I just recently traded up to a 1.55 SB. I haven’t quite decided if the 1.55 is just too much for daily use; the 1.25 is perfection as a daily shaver. It’s a good thing I’m on the Wolfman list again, because I may need to replenish the 1.25!
Arg. If the lead time wasn’t a whole year, it might be funny. Being a minimalist myself, I’ve occasionally had moments of regret like that! Hopefully you can find a quicker alternative, Dan!

My requirement for my razors is they have to work for daily use. I want to be able to enjoy them whenever I’m ready.

Thanks for the great review. I'm trying to decide between the 1.15 & 1,25. I've been on the waitlist since February.

The WR2 1.15 is indeed perfection! The consensus choice for a WR2 daily shaver, it seems. I’m glad to have hit the bullseye on my first Wolfman go ‘round, as well. As a daily shaver, I wouldn’t want any lower gap than the 1.15, and I certainly wouldn’t want any higher. As efficient as the 1.15 is, there’d be no need to shave every day with a higher gap.....unless I dialed it back to a single pass, perhaps.

Indeed it WAS, my favorite — I just recently traded up to a 1.55 SB. I haven’t quite decided if the 1.55 is just too much for daily use; the 1.25 is perfection as a daily shaver. It’s a good thing I’m on the Wolfman list again, because I may need to replenish the 1.25!

I respect your opinion a lot on WR2s. If I shave every other day and might find the 1.15 too mild after my first shave it, which one would you go for? 1.25 or 1.35? I would like it to have similar efficiency as Blackbird (the 1.15 is clearly milder)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I respect your opinion a lot on WR2s. If I shave every other day and might find the 1.15 too mild after my first shave it, which one would you go for? 1.25 or 1.35? I would like it to have similar efficiency as Blackbird (the 1.15 is clearly milder)
IMHO, Blackbird = WR2 1.25 SB. They both result in really close shaves — the BB just has a little more blade feel.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Arg. If the lead time wasn’t a whole year, it might be funny. Being a minimalist myself, I’ve occasionally had moments of regret like that! Hopefully you can find a quicker alternative, Dan!

My requirement for my razors is they have to work for daily use. I want to be able to enjoy them whenever I’m ready.
No regrets at all, Doug. I’ll enjoy ‘getting to know’ the 1.55. And it’s not like I lack for daily shavers — I have a Pre-War Tech, Gillette Goodwill and a Raw Shaving RS-10 — and each one provides a wonderfully relaxing daily shave. So, the 1.55 avoids redundancy for sure. I appreciate your kind words, my friend.

Could I ask the experts here as to which blade gap would be the closest to a Tarsra Masamune in terms of lack of smoothness and mildness while imparting hopefully greater efficiency? I had thought that it would be .95 but I am not sure anymore after i read this review...

Not the WR2 but I was recommended the .48 WR1 by someone who has used both the Wolfman and the Tatara. They thought the .54 would have more blade feel than the Masamune.

Some say

WR2 .85 = WR1 .48
WR2 .95 = WR1 .54

Disclaimer: I've never tried the Wolfman (but hope to soon)

Not the WR2 but I was recommended the .48 WR1 by someone who has used both the Wolfman and the Tatara. They thought the .54 would have more blade feel than the Masamune.

Some say

WR2 .85 = WR1 .48
WR2 .95 = WR1 .54

Disclaimer: I've never tried the Wolfman (but hope to soon)

Thanks for the tip.

Coming off the waitlist and my order is for a WR2 1.15. I think I'll change it to a 1.25, since even though I shave 5 or 6 times a week and don't like super aggressive razors, my daily shavers have become the Diamondback 2020 and the Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 Gen 2, and I don't want to go down too much in efficiency (or smoothness!) from those. Just want to share my plans and, since I'm still on the fence with some trepidation, solicit any thoughts the group may have on 1.15 vs. 1.25 given my regular rotation right now. (I also rotate in the Blackbird from time to time, but it has a little too much blade feel for me, although I'm still learning it and it's getting smoother the more I use a steeper angle).

I think I’ll go with the estimation of the woman who works for James.

If you prefer. My point is mine will be here in a week or two and that will be seven to seven and a bit months since ordering. I'm certain that James' employee is familiar with the under promise, over deliver concept. She is extremely pleasant in emails.

If you prefer. My point is mine will be here in a week or two and that will be seven to seven and a bit months since ordering. I'm certain that James' employee is familiar with the under promise, over deliver concept. She is extremely pleasant in emails.
Congrats on your new Wolfman! I now see that your “IME” meant “in my experience”. I misunderstood and thought you were saying “in my estimation”. My bad. I was referring to orders being placed now, not seven months ago, obviously.

I had filled out the Google form during
The most hectic time, on Sept 7, 2019
And took delivery and had the razor in my hands on February 11, 2020.
Now I asked Tara in December right before
Christmas about how much longer my
Wait would be and then I got an email from James via his personal email account, estimating my order to filled in
August of 2020.
So I'm just saying things can and do change. Especially in the CORVID Era.

Update: Second shave with it this morning. This time used a steep angle. Didn't notice a difference in efficiency, still shaves with less efficiency than timeless and blackbird, but super smooth shave. I'm now almost 100% sure I will be going for a 1.25 or 1.35. I think my next turn is coming in about 2-3 weeks (joined the list for the second time on early December), still deciding if I should keep this as a mild WR2 alternative as well.

Update: Second shave with it this morning. This time used a steep angle. Didn't notice a difference in efficiency, still shaves with less efficiency than timeless and blackbird, but super smooth shave. I'm now almost 100% sure I will be going for a 1.25 or 1.35. I think my next turn is coming in about 2-3 weeks (joined the list for the second time on early December), still deciding if I should keep this as a mild WR2 alternative as well.
I appreciate these reviews. I’m surprised the WR2 1.15 shaves less efficient than the Timeless .95. My current WR2 order is a 1.25.

I appreciate these reviews. I’m surprised the WR2 1.15 shaves less efficient than the Timeless .95. My current WR2 order is a 1.25.

I think 1.25 is the perfect WR2 gap, kinda bummed I didn't get that on my first WR2 order. Maybe I can try swapping for a 1.25 but I highly doubt anyone with a 1.25 will want to trade. I mean, I love the WR2 but I need to do 3X the buffing to get Timeless 95 closeness, especially on the neck.

Top Bottom