What's new

Wolfman WR2 1.05 and the Karve CB

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Those sound like excellent choices. I hope your WR2 brings you even more comfort and efficiency than your current daily driver razors (which are also excellent). Razors are an international language.

Thank you for the review sir. I too am on the long waitlist for a WM razor. Was initially thinking of getting the 1.15 blade gap. But after reading you review and your comparison on the 6s, Im leaning towards the 1.05mm blade gap more. Thanks again sir.

Thank you for the review sir. I too am on the long waitlist for a WM razor. Was initially thinking of getting the 1.15 blade gap. But after reading you review and your comparison on the 6s, Im leaning towards the 1.05mm blade gap more. Thanks again sir.
After thinking about it, maybe I should choose .95. Could you tell me what is your daily driver ? THANKS

After thinking about it, maybe I should choose .95. Could you tell me what is your daily driver ? THANKS

I dont shave everyday. I shave every 4 to 5 days. Have a slow growth and regular beard though. I usally use rockwell 6s at plates 5 or 6, rex ambassador at setting 4 and parker variant at 4 to 5. I tried to shave with 2 days growth and used rockwell 6s at 4 but I didnt enjoy the shave. I think I needed more efficiency for that 2 day shave.

I dont shave everyday. I shave every 4 to 5 days. Have a slow growth and regular beard though. I usally use rockwell 6s at plates 5 or 6, rex ambassador at setting 4 and parker variant at 4 to 5. I tried to shave with 2 days growth and used rockwell 6s at 4 but I didnt enjoy the shave. I think I needed more efficiency for that 2 day shave.
I shave every 2 days. Use rockwell 6c 3/4. Maybe I really need .95 wr2.

Why were you thinking of getting the 1.15 vs. 1.05? My issue is not necessarily that my skin cannot handle a closer shave. It's that I do not enjoy blade feel. I do not know how much more blade feel there is in a 1.15 vs 1.05 (I plan to add a shim to the 1.05 to experiment at some point). If you do not shave everyday, my advice in general is to find the razor that gives you the closer, more enjoyable shave. The WR2 seems designed to just do that — provide an efficient shave via blade gap vs. exposure.

If you like the R5 and R6, I think the 1.15 might be more up your alley.

I shave every 2 days. Use rockwell 6c 3/4. Maybe I really need .95 wr2.

With the Rockwell, I enjoyed the R4 the most. The R3 was just not as efficient as the R4. Both are smooth. If you can enjoy the R4, I think you will enjoy the WR2 1.05 even more (I certainly do).

Last edited:
Why were you thinking of getting the 1.15 vs. 1.05? My issue is not necessarily that my skin cannot handle a closer shave. It's that I do not enjoy blade feel. I do not know how much more blade feel there is in a 1.15 vs 1.05 (I plan to add a shim to the 1.05 to experiment at some point). If you do not shave everyday, my advice in general is to find the razor that gives you the closer, more enjoyable shave. The WR2 seems designed to just do that — provide an efficient shave via blade gap vs. exposure.

With the Rockwell, I enjoyed the R4 the most. The R3 was just not as efficient as the R4. Both are smooth. If you can enjoy the R4, I think you will enjoy the WR2 1.05 even more (I certainly do).
I opted for the 1.15 gap initially for I dont shave everyday and I like efficient razors. But your description of the 1.05 gap being a plate 3 feel and a plate 6 efficiency made me lean towards the 1.05 gap. Im reading regarding wolfman razors in another forum. So far Im at page 98 but I havent read anything conparing the 6s and wr2. Its around 400 pages though so maybe in between those pages there will be a comparison on razors that Im using.

I have the WR2 1.15 dual comb (SB/OC).
There is no blade feel. I find it a great, smooth shave. I should have ordered the 1.25 really.
My other razors (some of) for comparison...Karve stainless #C, #D, #E plate (all SB) and I'm going to get an #F plate now.
Timeless stainless .68 OC (had the .95 OC but didn't really like it).
Gillette NEW SC (very nice smooth razor).
Gillette Black Beauty (usually set on 6 or 7).
Fatip Piccolo (love it. Cheap as chips but what a lovely shave).
So do not fear the WR2 1.15 it won't cut your head off. Very mild mannered razor. I think you will like it. If you don't it is probably easier to trade for a lesser base plate on BST than trying to trade upwards in gap.

To solve this problem, I taught my brother wet shaving, and now he wants to order a wolfman too, so we can swap

There is no blade feel. I find it a great, smooth shave. I should have ordered the 1.25 really.
My other razors (some of) for comparison...Karve stainless #C, #D, #E plate (all SB) and I'm going to get an #F plate now.

This just goes to show that blade feel is totally personal. I haven't tried a WR2 but have tried Karve A and B in the past and had no interest in plate C. Karve A had plenty of blade for me.

If I went for the WR2 design I'd likely go for .95 or even .85 if it was available.

I have the WR2 1.15 dual comb (SB/OC).
Timeless stainless .68 OC (had the .95 OC but didn't really like it).
Gillette NEW SC (very nice smooth razor).
Gillette Black Beauty (usually set on 6 or 7).
Fatip Piccolo (love it. Cheap as chips but what a lovely shave).
So do not fear the WR2 1.15 it won't cut your head off. Very mild mannered razor. I think you will like it. If you don't it is probably easier to trade for a lesser base plate on BST than trying to trade upwards in gap.
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. Around how many months did you wait for your wolfman razor? Others who got them please chime in on the wait period. Im planning to get the 1.05, 1.15, 1.25 and 1.35 (maybe) gaps. Hopefully the first one that Ill get is enjoyable enough for me not to be impatient for the next gap Ill get.

A little update. I decided to shim the Wolfman with a single extra razor blade (edges snipped off). I last shaved on Saturday, and today is Monday. I put a new Dorco Prime Platinum blade in (this is a wonderful smooth shaver for me, on par with GSB; again for me).

How did it go? I noticed a tiny bit more blade feel than the 1.05, but still definitely less than the Karve D. This is certainly acceptable. Shave is smooth, but, whether or not I am honest with myself, it feels closer. I got two weepers, nothing major.

Near the end of the shave, my chin and neck felt a little raw. Is this irritation? Well, nothing much beyond the usual hue to the skin (a tiny bit of extra redness here and there, to be more honest). I run the alum stick over and yes, there’s some mild sting. I put on some alcohol-based aftershave, and the feel is normal—no extra burn (good job there, alum). It is a noticeably more efficient shave, however. I definitely like that.

So, do I like the 1.05 plus a shim to resemble the 1.15? I have not decided yet. I know I like mild(er) shaves. Perhaps my face/skin might adjust to the more efficient shave?

Was it smooth enough? Yes. Less blade feel than the Karve D? Yes. As smooth as the Karve D? I would say no. I’m also happy to chalk this up to technique and just a first time shave. It also might be due to just using a shim so I don’t know if I can extrapolate too directly to a 1.15 (maybe the clamping was not right, there was more chatter, etc.). I definitely want to put this faux 1.15 through a few more paces to get a feel for it.

Bottom-line for today? So, so, so glad I have the 1.05. Still curious about the 1.15, but no longer in the “if I had only ordered the …” camp.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A little update. I decided to shim the Wolfman with a single extra razor blade (edges snipped off). I last shaved on Saturday, and today is Monday. I put a new Dorco Prime Platinum blade in (this is a wonderful smooth shaver for me, on par with GSB; again for me).

How did it go? I noticed a tiny bit more blade feel than the 1.05, but still definitely less than the Karve D. This is certainly acceptable. Shave is smooth, but, whether or not I am honest with myself, it feels closer. I got two weepers, nothing major.

Near the end of the shave, my chin and neck felt a little raw. Is this irritation? Well, nothing much beyond the usual hue to the skin (a tiny bit of extra redness here and there, to be more honest). I run the alum stick over and yes, there’s some mild sting. I put on some alcohol-based aftershave, and the feel is normal—no extra burn (good job there, alum). It is a noticeably more efficient shave, however. I definitely like that.

So, do I like the 1.05 plus a shim to resemble the 1.15? I have not decided yet. I know I like mild(er) shaves. Perhaps my face/skin might adjust to the more efficient shave?

Was it smooth enough? Yes. Less blade feel than the Karve D? Yes. As smooth as the Karve D? I would say no. I’m also happy to chalk this up to technique and just a first time shave. It also might be due to just using a shim so I don’t know if I can extrapolate too directly to a 1.15 (maybe the clamping was not right, there was more chatter, etc.). I definitely want to put this faux 1.15 through a few more paces to get a feel for it.

Bottom-line for today? So, so, so glad I have the 1.05. Still curious about the 1.15, but no longer in the “if I had only ordered the …” camp.
Appreciate your posting and thoughts. I hope you settle in on any regret or negative feeling. For me i think ill be so old and senile by the time i ever hear from wolf i wont remember wanting one. Lol

I hope you settle in on any regret or negative feeling
No negative feelings about the Wolf at all! I just think there's always a a little grass-may-be-greener after you pick a gap. I took the shim out for my shave on Wednesday and it was lovely.

Good luck on getting yours soon! It may be slow, but the waitlist does move, and more and more are finally getting these beauties into their hands.

Another update. In January, I received another Wolfman, the 1.15 SB with a WRH7 handle. The 1.15 shaves just as smoothly as the 1.05. If I were to compare face feel, the 1.05 feels like a Karve B plate, but the 1.15 feels like the C plate. I guess I'm also saying that blade feel is the same as this as well. The 1.05 had no blade feel, like the B. The 1.15 has just a hint of it, like the C plate, at least to me. Very acceptable, and very, very enjoyable.

W 1-15.jpeg

Is the 1.15 better than the 1.05? I have not had enough shaves to know. I was on the fence between these two with my first Wolf purchase because I liked the B and C Karve plates. Now having both, there is no wrong answer as far as I am concerned. If you like the B & C, you will like and enjoy either. If you like the B more than the C, you will probably like the 1.05 more. If you like the C more, go with the 1.15. If you like the Karve D plate or higher, you will probably want the 1.25 at least.

Just keep in mind that my opinion is based more on blade feel. I am looking for the most efficient razor for my skin with the least amount of blade feel. That's just my preference, but I hope it helps you understand my review and recommendations.

Also for the record, the WRH2 handle is pretty much close to perfect for me. I really like the WRH7, and despite its looks, it gives you all the grip and holding angles you need in a very intuitive way.

A 'final' note. When I shimmed my 1.05 Wolfman to resemble a 1.15, there was a drop off in smoothness. Not so with an actual 1.15. This makes sense, but my wallet does not have to like it.

Another update. In January, I received another Wolfman, the 1.15 SB with a WRH7 handle. The 1.15 shaves just as smoothly as the 1.05. If I were to compare face feel, the 1.05 feels like a Karve B plate, but the 1.15 feels like the C plate. I guess I'm also saying that blade feel is the same as this as well. The 1.05 had no blade feel, like the B. The 1.15 has just a hint of it, like the C plate, at least to me. Very acceptable, and very, very enjoyable.

View attachment 1218367

Is the 1.15 better than the 1.05? I have not had enough shaves to know. I was on the fence between these two with my first Wolf purchase because I liked the B and C Karve plates. Now having both, there is no wrong answer as far as I am concerned. If you like the B & C, you will like and enjoy either. If you like the B more than the C, you will probably like the 1.05 more. If you like the C more, go with the 1.15. If you like the Karve D plate or higher, you will probably want the 1.25 at least.

Just keep in mind that my opinion is based more on blade feel. I am looking for the most efficient razor for my skin with the least amount of blade feel. That's just my preference, but I hope it helps you understand my review and recommendations.

Also for the record, the WRH2 handle is pretty much close to perfect for me. I really like the WRH7, and despite its looks, it gives you all the grip and holding angles you need in a very intuitive way.

A 'final' note. When I shimmed my 1.05 Wolfman to resemble a 1.15, there was a drop off in smoothness. Not so with an actual 1.15. This makes sense, but my wallet does not have to like it.

My preference for a non adjustable razor is the same as yours - little or no blade feel, smoothness and great efficiency. My 1.05 wr2 has been the most perfect solution so far for my face but from your report, a 1.15 wr2 may be even more so...

My preference for a non adjustable razor is the same as yours - little or no blade feel, smoothness and great efficiency. My 1.05 wr2 has been the most perfect solution so far for my face but from your report, a 1.15 wr2 may be even more so...
I'm equivocating now. Today's 1.15 shave went a little too close and I got some irritation in just two small spots. Lovely smooth and close shave with my two passes (WTG, XTG). I think I may have been pushing too much on the razor in certain classic areas (left mustache/chin area and left lower lip area). The 1.05 probably accommodated the error in my technique. The 1.15 did not. Such a close shave though, and I can tell the difference in efficiency. 1.05 is leaning towards being more face/skin friendly for now.

To be consistent, I would sometimes get careless with the Karve C plate and have this same irritation in the same places. This shave was with a GSB, fwiw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom