What's new

Wolfman WR2 0.95 vs 1.05: 3, 2, 1

1609772943457.jpeg

I prefer mild and efficient razors. Among my favorites are the Timeless 0.68 and the CG level 1 and 2.
I had already a WR2 1.05, and just added a 0.95. Both SB. I generally shave every 3 days, one of the advantages of retirement, and decided to make a comparison of the two razors at different stages of beard growth.

Nuavia Blue, Feather blades, Hematite post shave cream. 0.95 on right side of face, 1.05 on left, wtg & atg + touch-ups. Almost no pressure, I let the razors weight do the job.

3 days beard: Slightly more audible feedback with the 1.05. As expected, the 0.95 feels slightly smoother, at least it is perceived as such. BBS on both sides, cannot detect any difference in efficiency. Alum rock: minimal tingling, just a bit more on 1.05 side.
Both razors are very easy to use and do work best at a steep angle.
1609772997185.png

After 12 hrs. still smooth face at visual inspection. The touch reveals the 1.05 side being the smoother.

2 days beard: similar results. Less audible feedback on both sides.

1 day beard: results are again similar. The 0.95 smoothness is impressive. I had the feeling that it would be very difficult to cut myself. With the 1.05, smooth as well, this impression is less. The alum block elicits more tingling on the 1.05 side. Almost none for the 0.95.

Conclusion for my face and beard:
Probably the best DE razors I ever used. Both razors are extremely smooth and efficient. As expected, the 0.95 has an advantage in smoothness while the 1.05 offers a slight advantage in efficiency. For 3 or 2 days beard I would still use the 1.05, as a daily driver the 0.95 has its advantages.

Few words about Hematite aftershave cream by Nature’s. It is a great product with hydrating and anti-razor burn effects. It gets absorbed very quickly without any residual oil to the touch, it gives a refreshing feel with increased skin elasticity. Only problem is that I doubt it can be purchased outside of Italy.

A picture containing text, toiletry  Description automatically generated

Thanks for this. I was wondering how much difference there would be between the 1.05 I own and a slightly smaller gap.

I have a .95, 1.05 and another WR2 SB in a custom gap of 1.0. I reach for the .95 most of the time as it's plenty efficient and still very comfortable to shave with.

Great review. I ended up getting the 1.05 but thought about the .95. I used mine today with a Personna Med Prep blade for the 4th shave. Smooth as could be. I find this blade works best for me when I use the Wolfman.

I have a .95, 1.05 and another WR2 SB in a custom gap of 1.0. I reach for the .95 most of the time as it's plenty efficient and still very comfortable to shave with.

I originally placed an order for 1.0 WR2 with Wolfman and it was lost by Canada post. When ordering my second, I decided to just go with the 1.05 instead. Now that I have shaved with it 3 times, I find the same 1.05 incredibly mild right along with my ATT M2. It’s incredibly efficient with zero blade feel. Wonderful razor with zero irritation and confirmed when I put in my post shave splash. Is there much of difference between 0.95, 1.0, and 1.05. I have another order placed with Wolfman and I have no idea which way I want to go or it I just want to get a different handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I originally placed an order for 1.0 WR2 with Wolfman and it was lost by Canada post. When ordering my second, I decided to just go with the 1.05 instead. Now that I have shaved with it 3 times, I find the same 1.05 incredibly mild right along with my ATT M2. It’s incredibly efficient with zero blade feel. Wonderful razor with zero irritation and confirmed when I put in my post shave splash. Is there much of difference between 0.95, 1.0, and 1.05. I have another order placed with Wolfman and I have no idea which way I want to go or it I just want to get a different handle.

These WR2 razors are exceptional.

There is a slight difference between each of the three with the .95 being milder but still having exceptional efficiency. The 1.05 is slightly more aggressive and in turn slightly more efficient. The 1.00 falls right in the middle between the two. Not like the ATT where there is a huge difference between plates it's much more subtle here. Definitely noticeable but more of the increase you'd expect to encounter. Still feels like the same razor but yet noticeably different. Not a huge difference at all between the three but the .95 is a bit more comfortable to shave with. The trade off is a very slight amount of efficiency.

What you want to know is if you should purchase a .95 or 1.00. To answer that question, if you're enjoying the 1.05 then you really don't need a 1.00 or a .95 as it would be a bit redundant. That being said if you really wanted to purchase another Wolfman you would be happy with and proud to own either one. I'd likely tell you to go for the .95 if choosing between the two as it wouldn't be as similar to what you already own as the 1.00 would be.

These WR2 razors are exceptional.

There is a slight difference between each of the three with the .95 being milder but still having exceptional efficiency. The 1.05 is slightly more aggressive and in turn slightly more efficient. The 1.00 falls right in the middle between the two. Not like the ATT where there is a huge difference between plates it's much more subtle here. Definitely noticeable but more of the increase you'd expect to encounter. Still feels like the same razor but yet noticeably different. Not a huge difference at all between the three but the .95 is a bit more comfortable to shave with. The trade off is a very slight amount of efficiency.

What you want to know is if you should purchase a .95 or 1.00. To answer that question, if you're enjoying the 1.05 then you really don't need a 1.00 or a .95 as it would be a bit redundant. That being said if you really wanted to purchase another Wolfman you would be happy with and proud to own either one. I'd likely tell you to go for the .95 if choosing between the two as it wouldn't be as similar to what you already own as the 1.00 would be.

No what I am wondering is that I should go to the 1.15 on my next razor. I wouldn’t want to go any milder for sure. It is an incredibly efficient and easy to use razor. I have been astounded as to how easy it is to use. It’s even easier to use than the ATT M plates which I found shocking. I was just looking at how the different gaps compared to each other. Thanks for the input!

No what I am wondering is that I should go to the 1.15 on my next razor. I wouldn’t want to go any milder for sure. It is an incredibly efficient and easy to use razor. I have been astounded as to how easy it is to use. It’s even easier to use than the ATT M plates which I found shocking. I was just looking at how the different gaps compared to each other. Thanks for the input!

Hello, you have compared the WR2 1.05 to the ATT M2. Is your Wr2 sb or oc?. Since you are so comfortable with it, The choice of a 1.15 sb would make sense. Claudio

It wouldn't hurt to try it and if you don't like it you could likely sell it instantly for what you paid for it or possibly slightly more to someone that doesn't want to wait on the list. Kind of a no brainer in that regard as you certainly won't be stuck with it.

Also, it's my understanding that James at Wolfman will let you buy more than one handle with your razor when you names comes up. A second razor head is a no go but apparently he'll give some leeway when it comes to handles and other accessories.

Hello, you have compared the WR2 1.05 to the ATT M2. Is your Wr2 sb or oc?. Since you are so comfortable with it, The choice of a 1.15 sb would make sense. Claudio

I have both the M1 and M2. The WR2 1.05 feels very similar to the M2. But the Wolfman is easier to use. I am debating on 1.15 or 1.05 OC for my second Wolfman. I am in love with the Wolfman razor though. Going to be hard to go back to the ATT even though I think it’s a fine razor.

It wouldn't hurt to try it and if you don't like it you could likely sell it instantly for what you paid for it or possibly slightly more to someone that doesn't want to wait on the list. Kind of a no brainer in that regard as you certainly won't be stuck with it.

Also, it's my understanding that James at Wolfman will let you buy more than one handle with your razor when you names comes up. A second razor head is a no go but apparently he'll give some leeway when it comes to handles and other accessories.

Good idea. I will definitely be getting a few handles. Wish I would have the first time honestly. Didn’t know I could order multiple handles. I would have gotten both the WR7 and WR3. I love the 7 but I would love to have the 3 as well

Get at least a WR2 1.15.
I had the WR2 DC 1.15 (OC/SB) and sold it after about 6 weeks. Too mild.
My stainless Karve with #E plate (SB) outperformed it.
The Wolfman is a lovely razor, and impeccably made...but I needed a tad more bite.
I know it's a matter of YMMV, but the 1.15 is so smooth that I think you will like it as a slight step-up from a .95 or 1.05.
Next time (hopes Missus isn't looking) I'll get at least a 1.25 OC.

I am also in the boat where 1.05 sb is so perfect for my face that I struggle to imagine any improvement if I go higher in the blade gap widths. Very smooth and yet very efficient, like the titanium p076 except with a greater feeling of felt safety. I feel sometimes as if I am shaving with a sword edge when I use the p076 ! The wolfman wr2 1.05 handles almost like a asd2 but cuts like the p076.

I would not shy away from the 1.15. My experience has been that it is a very comfortable, smooth shaving experience. I use it as my daily driver. By comparison, I found that the Timeless Ti .95 was a tad too harsh for my face after three consecutive shaves, or so. The same proved true for me with the GC .84. On the other hand, I can use the Timeless Ti .68 as a daily driver. It's just that the 1.15 is a little more efficient.

I do still like to use the Timeless Ti .95 if I have more than two days growth, though.

Thanks for this. I was wondering how much difference there would be between the 1.05 I own and a slightly smaller gap.
I just received the 1.05 gap about a month ago. First few shaves were rough using mid sharp blades like astra, lab blues, treet. I finally realized it's the angle of this head, very steep almost parallel to the face with the handle. Now using the sharpest nacets and feathers along with the right consistency of the the slickness of the soap, WoW! It's all about the angle guys, and that's for all razors. Ride the bar with the wr2 head and use the sharpest blade you have, Give it a try, and I suspect you find the same smooth, bbs shaves that I now get without nicks, cuts, weepers, etc. Remember, it's technique, and that means angle and using the weight of the razor, no pressing needed. Oh, did I say I got the bronze, patina started. Love the 1.05 gap!

Top Bottom