What's new

Wolfman Wednesday

Gents ... I traded my beloved WR 1.25 SB for a WR 1.55 SB. I just felt compelled, in part because of endorsements from guys I trust (looking at you, @loot ). Tonight was its inaugural shave.

I had previously shimmed my 1.25 to some very high levels, and I suspected that this 1.55 would still provide a smooth shave. It sure did.

I paired the Wolf with a fresh Polsilver SI, and opted for the Soft Heart Diamond from B&B — a soap base and AS that has become a real favorite of mine lately.

I hated to part with my solid WRH2 handle, but I had to do it for the trade. What I got in return is no slouch — a solid 90mm hybrid 3/7. The razor has nice balance. It’s certainly shinier than the H2 because of its lack if knurling on most of the handle.

The first pass was familiar Wolf — audible and smooth — with just a bit more blade feel than the 1.25 gap. Just a bit. Nowhere near R41 or Ikon Tech levels, and even less than CG L3, in my opinion. I felt very confident with it, and the first pass was sublime. Second pass (XTG) was just as smooth, but less audible, which means that the first pass was wickedly efficient. The trouble spots under my chin were tamed after both passes, and no third pass or cleanup were necessary. But I decided to open up the throttle for an AGT pass on my cheeks alone so I can gauge how long this BBS will last through tomorrow. This will determine whether the 1.55 can be my daily driver, as I do shave every day.

In summary, an absolutely perfect shave with this 1.55 Wolf. Glad I made the trade.
View attachment 1114557View attachment 1114558
That is a sweet looking razor, Dan! If you do find it a bit too much as a daily shaver, I have no doubt you can do as @loot mentioned and go with a milder razor (Goodwill #160, Pre-War Tech) on alternating days. I do love that handle. Great trade. If you were my GM, I'd give you an A+ grade on the trade.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
That is a sweet looking razor, Dan! If you do find it a bit too much as a daily shaver, I have no doubt you can do as @loot mentioned and go with a milder razor (Goodwill #160, Pre-War Tech) on alternating days. I do love that handle. Great trade. If you were my GM, I'd give you an A+ grade on the trade.
Thanks, Tom. Great advice on alternating.

Last week I decided to shim my 1.25 SB as I expect my proceed to order email should arrive in a month or two. As much as I love the 1.25 as a daily driver ( 3 passes) I have always felt I could go higher on the gap. My thinking was to go with the WR1 .86 or .94 as I miss having an OC option. The areas that need some extra attention are under my jawline and chin. Favorite blades are feather, wizamet and polsilver. I used a brand new wizamet and each day I added another wizamet with the edges snipped off.
Adding 1 shim to simulate a "1.35" provided a bit more efficency and was comfortable with 3 passes. Easy to see as a daily driver with 3 passes but does it add enough value to order?
The next day 2 shims. The "1.45" offered much more efficiency and still very comfortable. The next day was the true test as the consensous of the wolfman community is to go with the 1.55 SB and in Ti if possible. Given that James is not entertaining Ti requests - well what can one do? I definitely noticed the difference in greater efficiency and the "1.55" tamed the stubborn areas under my jaw. I did feel some rawness however. Had to try 3 passes and perhaps I should have stopped at 2 or the restrict the third pass where needed. Also thinking that my technique can use improvement or that I have to run the "1.55" a few more times. I can easily see the 1.55 as the nuclear option for 2 + days growth. A DC SB with 1.35 and 1.55? First world problem I know.

Length of it was good — my pinkie naturally provided a backstop. It wasn’t as ‘secure’ as the H2, but it comported itself with dignity.
Thanks Dan. I have always loved the look of the 3/7 hybrid handle, but given limited shots at ordering direct with James, I have gone with WRH1 and WRH2. I think I added my name on the Wolfman list in November and may upgrade to a 1.25 gap if given the opportunity. Not sure about handle. I love my WRH1 hollow and really liked the WRH2.

Hannah's Dad

Thanks Dan. I have always loved the look of the 3/7 hybrid handle, but given limited shots at ordering direct with James, I have gone with WRH1 and WRH2. I think I added my name on the Wolfman list in November and may upgrade to a 1.25 gap if given the opportunity. Not sure about handle. I love my WRH1 hollow and really liked the WRH2.
I like the hybrid look, too. I just think from a pure shaving perspective, the H2 is King, IMHO.

Not Wednesday but I've been wondering if anyone else bought a plain polished brass Wolfman from James? I never see any pics of brass ones other than mine. Here is what it looked like before being engraved.
uhubcGT.jpg

Stunning. A keeper for sure.
There is a lot to be said for the beauty of the design and finish like it was when I first received it. I wish I had another just like it to go with the engraved one. Both are beautiful in their own right. I wonder if James would send me another one?

How has he been keeping up with demand lately?

Hannah's Dad

There is a lot to be said for the beauty of the design and finish like it was when I first received it. I wish I had another just like it to go with the engraved one. Both are beautiful in their own right. I wonder if James would send me another one?

How has he been keeping up with demand lately?
I can’t speak for James, but it seems that stainless steel is keeping him busy.

I can’t speak for James, but it seems that stainless steel is keeping him busy.
According to his site, which has the seemingly permanent sold out banner, it is steel only. If I found another one lying around somewhere I would be tempted to send it to Otto too. H.R. Geiger theme this time. I can't help it now when I look at bare metal I see a canvas.

According to his site, which has the seemingly permanent sold out banner, it is steel only. If I found another one lying around somewhere I would be tempted to send it to Otto too. H.R. Geiger theme this time. I can't help it now when I look at bare metal I see a canvas.
AFAIK DuFour hasnt done bronze or brass since the spring of 2018. I was lucky enough to pick up an 80OC with 2 handles and a stand in bronze. Only alternate material I have outside of Titanium.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AFAIK DuFour hasnt done bronze or brass since the spring of 2018. I was lucky enough to pick up an 80OC with 2 handles and a stand in bronze. Only alternate material I have outside of Titanium.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That is sweet. I didn't know the bronze ones looked so much like brass.

Top Bottom