What's new

Wolfman Wednesday

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Dammit.. this working from home thing am I forgot it was Wednesday today.. did shave yday with it though :)

@BradWorld and @Hannah's Dad I keep getting confused, which is which when talking shallow and steep angles?
What Brad said above. I define a steep angle as a 15-30 degree angle handle from face — starting the handle parallel to the face and then lifting the handle till it hits a 15-30 degree angle.

Hannah's Dad

Wednesday again!
D17D84D3-D22E-4E03-839B-29531A89EA3A.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
What Brad said above. I define a steep angle as a 15-30 degree angle handle from face — starting the handle parallel to the face and then lifting the handle till it hits a 15-30 degree angle.

For my Wolf shave yesterday I went mega steep. I held the razor so it rode on the bar, then pulled the handle up until i felt blade. Then I maintained that angle throughout the shave. Mega steep. As steep as I could ride it and still cut. I was shocked by the great results. If you would have told me this last week, I would have thought it was crazy. But it works with this razor. And the CG too.

Thanks for your replies, I usually ride the cap so I do shallow then.. I have tried the wolf the other way but found it a bit rough.. going by @Hannah's Dad comments I think closer to 15 degrees maybe even less.. will try it again next time, thanks

@BradWorld unfortunately that ain’t my strat.. I have two one US and one mex but both sunburst (there little bit different) but regret not getting a natural finish like the avatar.. got to love the sound of a strat

Yesterday I did a mega steep angle shave with the Wolf. Sputnik blade. Excellent results. No weepers. No drama. Its not a Wolfman Wednesday shave, so i wont post a photo. :)
For me, a shallow angle is riding the cap. A steep angle is riding the safety bar. I am usually a neutral to shallow angle shaver. I tend to favor riding the cap more. In the last week, I have tried a super steep angle shaves with both the Wolf 1.15 and the Charcoal Goods Level 2, and both shaves were magnificent. I have been enlightened by the SASC way of life!
For my Wolf shave yesterday I went mega steep. I held the razor so it rode on the bar, then pulled the handle up until i felt blade. Then I maintained that angle throughout the shave. Mega steep. As steep as I could ride it and still cut. I was shocked by the great results. If you would have told me this last week, I would have thought it was crazy. But it works with this razor. And the CG too.
Brad, I always roll steep with the Wolf/Feather combo. I’ll be interested to hear your experience.

This was an extremely helpful conversation.

I was ready to put my new WR2 up for sale this weekend since it's not quite as mild as I like and certainly not as forgiving as I like. It seemed to me that a shallow angle was needed, given how little the blade is flexed in position. I had been getting really close shaves using a shallow to neutral angle, but overall, the razor just seemed pretty unforgiving and was ready to bite with just the slightest error in technique or around tougher areas like my chin or Adam's Apple.

After reading the above conversation last night, I followed BradWorld's description of riding the bar and then raising the handle until you feel the blade and it worked great. It still gave a really close shave, but was even smoother and was much more forgiving. Going this route was totally counterintuitive to every other razor I've used, so it was really odd to adjust my technique this way, but it worked.

I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to keep it, but it's much more likely that I will than it was 12 hours ago. Now I just need to give it some more time to give it a fair chance to earn a spot next to my other two razors.

Thanks for the helpful information, guys.

Hannah's Dad

This was an extremely helpful conversation.

I was ready to put my new WR2 up for sale this weekend since it's not quite as mild as I like and certainly not as forgiving as I like. It seemed to me that a shallow angle was needed, given how little the blade is flexed in position. I had been getting really close shaves using a shallow to neutral angle, but overall, the razor just seemed pretty unforgiving and was ready to bite with just the slightest error in technique or around tougher areas like my chin or Adam's Apple.

After reading the above conversation last night, I followed BradWorld's description of riding the bar and then raising the handle until you feel the blade and it worked great. It still gave a really close shave, but was even smoother and was much more forgiving. Going this route was totally counterintuitive to every other razor I've used, so it was really odd to adjust my technique this way, but it worked.

I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to keep it, but it's much more likely that I will than it was 12 hours ago. Now I just need to give it some more time to give it a fair chance to earn a spot next to my other two razors.

Thanks for the helpful information, guys.
Awesome!

Thanks for the info and sharing! Gotcha!!

The ‘basic’ polish still beats just about anything else on the market and, in my opinion, is ‘good enough.’ The mirror just requires more maintenance and messes with one’s OCD.

I believe the WR2 head is superior to the WR1 head. If mild is your goal, simply choose the lower gap on the WR2 and you’ll find your desert island razor.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

Very cool! Glad that helped! This whole thing started when my somewhat new Charcoal Goods Level 2 was feeling a bit rough with certain blades. I was told to try a steep angle. The Wolf is quite a bit smoother than the CG, but it is still quite near the edge of my tolerance for aggression. So @Hannah's Dad recommended to go steep on this thread. I tried the CG first, and was literally shocked at how it smoothed that razor out. The change was drastic. Went from just barely tolerable to smooth as silk. Even though the Wolf didnt need to be smoothed out as much, I certainly got a much nicer ride with the steep angle than with the neutral. I am convinced. But I really dont think this would work for every razor. Use at your own risk. :)

What model and gap Wolfman do you have?

Very cool! Glad that helped! This whole thing started when my somewhat new Charcoal Goods Level 2 was feeling a bit rough with certain blades. I was told to try a steep angle. The Wolf is quite a bit smoother than the CG, but it is still quite near the edge of my tolerance for aggression. So @Hannah's Dad recommended to go steep on this thread. I tried the CG first, and was literally shocked at how it smoothed that razor out. The change was drastic. Went from just barely tolerable to smooth as silk. Even though the Wolf didnt need to be smoothed out as much, I certainly got a much nicer ride with the steep angle than with the neutral. I am convinced. But I really dont think this would work for every razor. Use at your own risk. :)

I have a WR2 .95 SB

Can't wait to try it again on Saturday (I shave every other day).

Thanks again!

Hannah's Dad

Brad, you’re right. Not all razors work well with a steep angle. The poster child for a shallow angle is the Feather AS-D2. Riding that steep provides an awful shave. Trial and error.

Brad, you’re right. Not all razors work well with a steep angle. The poster child for a shallow angle is the Feather AS-D2. Riding that steep provides an awful shave. Trial and error.

Funny you mentioned the Feather. My go-to razor is an AS-D2 and also have a Timeless .68 SB that I use quite a bit, so going steep with the Wolfman will not come naturally. It's certainly not hard to do, but takes some thought.

Correct-amundo re: the AS-D2. I had one for all of two shaves and it was a disaster for me. Sold it as I didn't have the patience to "figure it out" - my other razors were better for me. I don't get along with Feather anything - razors or blades. I got on with the CG lvl 2 straight away and found the angle to be similar to my ATT Windsor H.

Top Bottom