What's new

Wolfman Ti better than the SS?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It can be a "weight thing" or perhaps balance, maybe both. I've had a couple Wolfmen, my favorite is the WR2 SS atop a Ti WRH2 handle that James cut to my perfect 3 inch length ..

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What's the price of a Ti WR2? Last time I checked the site I didn't see titanium as an option.

Check it now. The lists are posted.

1635446683484.png

1635446732866.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It's a weight and balance thing.

In general I prefer SS:
1. shinier when polished
2. more scratch resistant (yes, even if titanium is the stronger material. But you won't bend you steel handles either, I assure you)
3. heavier (the crux of the matter and personal preference)
4. cheaper (and still $$$ enough)
5. I have a lot of machined and polished steel handles, most of my collection is SS.

Titanium has some advantages:
1. You want it light
2. The Timeless CROWN handle is the most marvelous handle to have been designed in the Virgo cluster since the big bang. And no kidding, this might be no exaggeration.
3. Did you notice I adore the crown handle? Here is the bad news: It's only available in titanium. One day I might be desperate enough to ask/beg Timeless for a steel version.
4. balance: steel handles can be extremely heavy. A heavy SS head and the same handle in titanium rather than steel could in practice work out better than an ultra lightweight or a heavyweight.

I have only one titanium razor head with fitting handle, I don't have any Wolfman.

But I have seen their heads, and my Lupo DC (SS), also a slim head of copied design, does better with a lighter handle. I use a hollow, long but small diameter Yaqi handle for it, which seems to be a better fit than all RazoRock handles I tried for it.

You noticed the Timeless 12mm knurled handle seems a good fit for your Wolfman. It's very similar in length and diameter to the Yaqi 12mm and 88mm handle

The 14mm handles from Timeless in SS would probably drag it down in a bad way.

Received my 5th Wolfman yesterday. First ti. I’m enjoying the ti substantially more which is unfortunate because the price is 2X SST.

until now I’ve been getting the hollow handle on my orders thinking I was close to replicating the ti but it’s not even close.

View attachment 1382689
can you get that cap on the regular bar to ?
WOW love that look !
my fav looking is the timeless scallop top and comb I reckon now tied with this as I have never see this top cap and the comb combo :)

can you get that cap on the regular bar to ?
WOW love that look !
my fav looking is the timeless scallop top and comb I reckon now tied with this as I have never see this top cap and the comb combo :)
This is a dual comb I know it’s hidden from view. This cap is a custom order. Took 5 orders to finally oblige the request. He’s done a few in the past so I’m not original here. But I’m with you it is a great variety to my Wolfman lineup.

I have the exact razor in SS and Ti, a 0.86 OC WR1 with the WRH2 handle. I have had the SS one for probably 3 years now and has been my favourite razor and the benchmark for all others. I have said a Ti WR1 would suit me perfectly, so recently ordered and received one. I currently have a beard and have just cleaned it up with the Ti WR1, I can provide a more thorough review in probably January when it gets removed. I do have experience with Ti razors, I've owned a Ti WR2 and Carbon Ti, and currently own a Paradigm Ti 1.

To me, SS feels a bit denser and colder on the face, Ti feels almost soft and is very pleasant. The SS has less audible and physical feedback when shaver, perhaps it may be perceived as smoothness, I think from the added mass of the razor. Ti has more audible feedback, is lighter (~55% mass of SS), and perhaps feels more nimble. That said the SS WR1 is probably my most nimble razor (so don't take that as SS isn't nimble). With Ti, it almost gives the feel of the hairs cutting, which I think may be considered rough but I think it provides more feedback and can reduce pressure, which I think some of this sensation is muted in SS. I have found with the Ti, I feel I have more control and have been experimenting with more ATG strokes with positive results.

Again, these are preliminary and just cleaning up a beard (ughhh I know). I am happy I don't have to decide between them and both will be staying and enjoyed.

Ti on the left, SS on the right.
20211223_190515.jpg

20211223_190518.jpg

I have the exact razor in SS and Ti, a 0.86 OC WR1 with the WRH2 handle. I have had the SS one for probably 3 years now and has been my favourite razor and the benchmark for all others. I have said a Ti WR1 would suit me perfectly, so recently ordered and received one. I currently have a beard and have just cleaned it up with the Ti WR1, I can provide a more thorough review in probably January when it gets removed. I do have experience with Ti razors, I've owned a Ti WR2 and Carbon Ti, and currently own a Paradigm Ti 1.

To me, SS feels a bit denser and colder on the face, Ti feels almost soft and is very pleasant. The SS has less audible and physical feedback when shaver, perhaps it may be perceived as smoothness, I think from the added mass of the razor. Ti has more audible feedback, is lighter (~55% mass of SS), and perhaps feels more nimble. That said the SS WR1 is probably my most nimble razor (so don't take that as SS isn't nimble). With Ti, it almost gives the feel of the hairs cutting, which I think may be considered rough but I think it provides more feedback and can reduce pressure, which I think some of this sensation is muted in SS. I have found with the Ti, I feel I have more control and have been experimenting with more ATG strokes with positive results.

Again, these are preliminary and just cleaning up a beard (ughhh I know). I am happy I don't have to decide between them and both will be staying and enjoyed.

Ti on the left, SS on the right.
View attachment 1383091
View attachment 1383092
Wow…that’s probably the best (most detailed) description of the differences between SS and Ti I’ve ever read! And it’s exactly what I hoped would be the case. Please update us on your findings after your beard is removed. Thank you!

Wow…that’s probably the best (most detailed) description of the differences between SS and Ti I’ve ever read! And it’s exactly what I hoped would be the case. Please update us on your findings after your beard is removed. Thank you!

Will do! Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Top Bottom