What's new

Wolfman razor model differences

I’m kind of torn in starting this thread as I’ve lived this long without upper echelon razors in this caliber so far, and like they say ignorance is bliss. I’ve read through many threads hearing great things about these being the best of the best, and seeing used ones for sale pretty regularly but the different models and blade gaps makes me wonder where to start.

I went to the Wolfman site and I just wanted to learn the basics like what are the differences between the WR1/2/3. Nothing on the site actually explained that, which puzzled me especially for the price they are going for and the waiting list thing.

I’ve seen blade gaps run from super mild like.60 to large gaps over 1.85. Is there a reference sheet or thread to go through all the options on these. If I’m to spend $300-$700 on a razor I’d like to make an informed decision on what to buy.

I’ve searched wolfman on this site and I’ve read about specific razors people bought but not a general consensus on the different varieties and options. I’ve read there are open comb and dual comb versions but maybe they are rare as i never see these for sale for whatever reason. Any help would be appreciated.

I've never tried a WR3. To me, the WR1 is a slimmer head and blade forward. The WR2 is less blade feel but the big gaps can be very efficient.

What razors do you currently use and enjoy? What do you want from a Wolfman?

I have a ton of razors already, just curious as I’ve never tried a wolfman. Have a few Karves, Blackland Blackbird, Dart, ERA, a ton of Razorocks, several Timeless, a few Yates, Tataras, H&Ks, Rockwells, Fatips, etc. etc. I prefer aggressive razors. On Karve I use F and G open combs, the Yates I use EH plates, Timeless I use .95, Muhle Rocca is too mild for me etc.

Why does the Wolfman site not even mention what the qualities of the WR1/2/3 razors are? Are we supposed to guess? It’s the strangest thing.

There really isn't much on their website about the razors.

A high gapped WR1 or WR2 would probably suit you. I have a 0.86 OC WR1 and a 1.55 SB WR2. The WR1 is more nimble and more blade feel but the WR2 has less blade, is more efficient, and perhaps is a touch smoother (but blade dependent).

I'd be happy with either as a destination razor.

But really, get one and RAD will make you get another 🤣

Some info on the WR3 is in the Wolfman Wednesday or Wolfman brotherhood threads.

To me, the 0.86 WR1 has more blade feel and efficiency than a Blackbird, but not a significant amount. It sits between my Charcoal Gen 1 Lvl 2 and Lvl3.

I’m kind of torn in starting this thread as I’ve lived this long without upper echelon razors in this caliber so far, and like they say ignorance is bliss. I’ve read through many threads hearing great things about these being the best of the best, and seeing used ones for sale pretty regularly but the different models and blade gaps makes me wonder where to start.

I went to the Wolfman site and I just wanted to learn the basics like what are the differences between the WR1/2/3. Nothing on the site actually explained that, which puzzled me especially for the price they are going for and the waiting list thing.

I’ve seen blade gaps run from super mild like.60 to large gaps over 1.85. Is there a reference sheet or thread to go through all the options on these. If I’m to spend $300-$700 on a razor I’d like to make an informed decision on what to buy.

I’ve searched wolfman on this site and I’ve read about specific razors people bought but not a general consensus on the different varieties and options. I’ve read there are open comb and dual comb versions but maybe they are rare as i never see these for sale for whatever reason. Any help would be appreciated.

Wolfman territory is fraught with costly missteps and I am here to help you.
If you're not a razor purist and want an easy going shave focus on WR2.
It's a contemporary design that lets you go high on the gaps without sacrificing
comfort due to its relatively tame blade exposure...gaps don't mean much in WR2
land. High gaps are comfortable all the way up to 1.55 (Ive not gone beyond cos
it seems like a dare thereafter)

List a couple of your favourite razors, beard growth levels and frequency you like to
shave at...daily, once a week etc...and this will help ascertain what's good for you.
At 1.15 you get a mindless daily shave...smooth and comfy...at 1.55 you get a hockey rink
smooth shave and may not need to shave until 2-3 days later.

It's a contemporary design that lets you go high on the gaps without sacrificing

List a couple of your favourite razors, beard growth levels and frequency you like to
shave at...daily, once a week etc...and this will help ascertain what's good for you.
At 1.15 you get a mindless daily shave...smooth and comfy...at 1.55 you get a hockey rink
I’m definitely not a must shave every day kind of guy. I prefer every other day and it works for me. When I shave every day I’d still use aggressive razors for the most part but just less pressure and I’m good.

I have too many favorites to choose a favorite. I like variety which is why I don’t and will never have a favorite. My favorite seems to be the newest razor I own lol. I prefer efficiency over Blade feel but don’t mind Blade feel at all. I love my charcoal Goods level 2 and think I would love the level 3 even more. Had the everyday plate but traded it for a level 2. It was way too mild and I maybe used it twice and it sat underside for a year. I’ve used the CG L2 3 times already this month alone and look forward to the next time.

I’m definitely not a must shave every day kind of guy. I prefer every other day and it works for me. When I shave every day I’d still use aggressive razors for the most part but just less pressure and I’m good.

I have too many favorites to choose a favorite. I like variety which is why I don’t and will never have a favorite. My favorite seems to be the newest razor I own lol. I prefer efficiency over Blade feel but don’t mind Blade feel at all. I love my charcoal Goods level 2 and think I would love the level 3 even more. Had the everyday plate but traded it for a level 2. It was way too mild and I maybe used it twice and it sat underside for a year. I’ve used the CG L2 3 times already this month alone and look forward to the next time.

Great! Good info.
Based on your razor preferences and shave frequency I can say with 99.9% certainty
that a WR2 1.35 solid bar will be in your sweet spot.

1.15 will be approximately CG Level2 territory though far smoother...1.35 takes you closer
to CG Level3 and is way more comfy.

A WR1 will not be as comfortable and a WR3 is a single edge razor (which I know nothing of).

I
Great! Good info.
Based on your razor preferences and shave frequency I can say with 99.9% certainty
that a WR2 1.35 solid bar will be in your sweet spot.

1.15 will be approximately CG Level2 territory though far smoother...1.35 takes you closer
to CG Level3 and is way more comfy.

A WR1 will not be as comfortable and a WR3 is a single edge razor (which I know nothing of).
I do prefer OC razors though so what about that. Just bought a Drakkant OC+ but I’m sure that’s pretty tame for what they have as their most aggressive plate

I used this chart from the Wolfman Wednesday thread to help figure out which head to order.
Screenshot_20221117_140153_Chrome.jpg

I used the WR1 .86 OC yesterday for the first time and didn't find it overly aggressive. I felt that it was a very comfortable and easy shave for me. I'm on the waiting list for a WR2 1.25 SB and looking forward to comparing the WR1 and WR2.

I

I do prefer OC razors though so what about that. Just bought a Drakkant OC+ but I’m sure that’s pretty tame for what they have as their most aggressive plate

I'll probably get dragged for this but OC is not wolfmans strongest suit in the WR2 family.
Solid bar better, smoother and you miss nothing. Someone will be along shortly
to give me a dressing down 🙂

It's a $350-$400 minimum expense...so best get some more thoughts

I'll probably get dragged for this but OC is not wolfmans strongest suit in the WR2 family.
Solid bar better, smoother and you miss nothing. Someone will be along shortly
to give me a dressing down 🙂

It's a $350-$400 minimum expense...so best get some more thoughts
So it looks like 1.55sb WR2 and .86 WR1 OC?

WR1 is thin, nimble, blade forward at any gap 0.74 or higher. A fantastic razor.

I have never tried a WR2.

The WR3 is a single edge razor that takes GEM blades. If you are not already a fan of GEM SEs, I wouldn't even think about going this route.

WR1 is thin, nimble, blade forward at any gap 0.74 or higher. A fantastic razor.

I have never tried a WR2.

The WR3 is a single edge razor that takes GEM blades. If you are not already a fan of GEM SEs, I wouldn't even think about going this route.
Re. The WR3: Thanks. Yeah I’m not going there for better or worse lol

Last edited:

This is a perfect example of ymmv. For me the WR2 1.15 is the perfect every other day razor, the 1.55 was ultra efficient and still smooth, but if I did a two pass shave as I prefer, I wouldn’t need to shave except once a week. The 1.15 is perfection for my style and needs.
So it looks like 1.55sb WR2 and .86 WR1 OC?
There is also the 0.94 gap for WR1 you could try in OC too.

…To me, the WR1 is a slimmer head and blade forward. The WR2 is less blade feel but the big gaps can be very efficient.

+1! I prefer DE, which means WR1 or WR2.

I tried a dual comb WR1 and preferred the SB, which just felt smoother and more comfortable. For me the WR2 was fine but not as nimble. Plus I prefer just a bit of blade feel. Thus, the WR1 polished SB is my ‘daily driver!’

YMMV for sure! Which means it is great to have choices.

This is a perfect example of ymmv. For me the WR2 1.15 is the perfect every other day razor, the 1.55 was ultra efficient and still smooth, but if I did a two pass shave as I prefer, I wouldn’t need to shave except once a week. The 1.15 is perfection for my style and needs.

There is also the 0.94 gap for WR1 you could try in OC too.
I started reading some of the posts in the Wolfman Wednesday thread. Looks like I’ll be spending time there on Wednesdays when I make a decision on which WR2 blade gap (i’m seeing 1.65 in the thread with mentions of 1.75 and I read in another thread 1.85!!!) and I would still be interested in trying a WR1 OC in .94 if that’s their largest.

Top Bottom