What's new

Wolfman question.

Just got a mailcall for another wolfman razor 🙄. It’s a wolfman wr2 stainless steel 1.0 custom gap. So far I used once tonight with new wizamet blade and found a little rough. What would be a better blade to go with considering I do have a heavy beard or a coarse beard. Thanks guys

Wizamet is my favorite blade, and I find it very rough in the wolf. I switched to the Perma Sharp in the gold box and love it.

Funny about blade preferences—Wizamets are some of my favorites, and I love them in the WR2.

What’s a typical angle of attack with the wolfman is it riding a cap or the safety bar?

Most people seem to ride the Wolf steep.

I have a 1.25 and a 1.55, and I ride the guard. I’ve never used one as low as 1.0, I think that would be a very smooth razor once you get it dialed in. I believe 1.00 is actually the original gap of the BBS1. Feather seems like the ideal blade for the WR2’s. I would stay away from Kai because the tabs are slightly smaller than on other blades and I’ve found that won’t always align perfectly in the head.

I have both a WR2 1.05 and 1.15. The Wizamet never felt right on my face with this razor (in others, like the Karve, it's great!). Fwiw, I have good beard growth that probably comes from Scottish/Eastern European heritage. Whether that means it's coarse or thick, I no longer know. But, in 30 days, I have a very full beard (thanks no shave November). Just offering for facial hair explanation.

Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Lab Blue, and Dorco Prime Platinums are my favorites in the Wolf. Nacet was nice as well. Blades are probably the most YMMV element of shaving though.

I know many people who write that a steep shaving angle (really riding the bar and then some) works well with the Wolfman. I think that may be true with gaps that have more positive blade exposure. I do use a slightly steeper angle (handle closer to face, but more of a 'normal' riding the safety bar angle) than a neutral shave, but that's only after I experimented. I haven't read of many people who use a neutral or even cap-riding style with the WR2. So play with lowering that handle and see what works well for you. Good luck!

Specifically on the against the grain pass it seems like I have to pass with the razor 5 times over the same area to get it smooth otherwise there is still stubble and that what burns me. I can’t see my self adding another across the grain pass before going against the grain that would be 4 pass shave and I do shave 7 days a week.

Specifically on the against the grain pass it seems like I have to pass with the razor 5 times over the same area to get it smooth otherwise there is still stubble and that what burns me. I can’t see my self adding another across the grain pass before going against the grain that would be 4 pass shave and I do shave 7 days a week.

With your lower gap WR2 1.0 SB, you need to ride the cap (shallow angle) to maximize blade exposure. If that's not working for you, finish the final passes / touch up passes with a Schick Hydro 5 cartridge with the gel-strip flipped back.

Sounds like you could benefit from a higher gap. Perhaps starting at 1.25

Funny about blade preferences—Wizamets are some of my favorites, and I love them in the WR2.

Most people seem to ride the Wolf steep.
Likewise. In my experience with my WR2 1.15, Wizamet blades give me a great, comfortable shave. I also use a steep angle. My stubble is probably not as coarse as some folk's stubble and since I shave daily my stubble doesn't get very long. As always YMMV.

Just got a mailcall for another wolfman razor 🙄. It’s a wolfman wr2 stainless steel 1.0 custom gap. So far I used once tonight with new wizamet blade and found a little rough. What would be a better blade to go with considering I do have a heavy beard or a coarse beard. Thanks guys
Gillette Silver Blue

Top Bottom