What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

Thanks so much for all the sharing and info and advice guys.

OK so will just get the basic Polish finish.

And also the normal wrh7 in normal weight not hollow.

So now to go back to what gaps would work best for me and will be ready to place my order in the next month or so :)))

Right now in my head it's down to these:

.95 sb / 1.05 oc
1.15 sb non dual comb
1.05sb / 1.15 oc.
1.05 sb / 1.25 oc

Hmmmmmmm

Thanks so much for all the sharing and info and advice guys.

OK so will just get the basic Polish finish.

And also the normal wrh7 in normal weight not hollow.

So now to go back to what gaps would work best for me and will be ready to place my order in the next month or so :)))

Right now in my head it's down to these:

.95 sb / 1.05 oc
1.15 sb non dual comb
1.05sb / 1.15 oc.
1.05 sb / 1.25 oc

Hmmmmmmm

I only have one dual comb razor - my seygus zeppelin v 2 titanium with different gap widths for each side but both SB. Personally I don't like the asymmetry and I don't find it very useful as I prefer the same gap on both sides so that I can alternate between both sides and have the same shave on both. But YMMV of course

Ahh I see. So maybe now just a question of .95 or 1.05 or 1.15 sb.

I currenly use a muhle r89 head but it gives me a while mixed bag of shaves. Works ok with a muhle blade but not so good with a merkur. Think my blade combo / choice is half the issue.
(Tried kai, med prep..)
also can more or less shave with a half hollow straight I have but not full full shave with that and still need my DE for touch ups. And with a young kid now haven't had much time to do straight razor shaves / practising

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Ahh I see. So maybe now just a question of .95 or 1.05 or 1.15 sb.

I currenly use a muhle r89 head but it gives me a while mixed bag of shaves. Works ok with a muhle blade but not so good with a merkur. Think my blade combo / choice is half the issue.
(Tried kai, med prep..)

I used to run with a DE89 / R89 quite often and got good shaves. My first Wolfman was a 1.15, and I never felt it was too aggressive. In fact I put my name back on the list and added a 1.25 to my arsenal.

I know blades are a ymmv thing... but Merkur and Muhle blades are about the worst blades I’ve ever tried. I’ve never gotten a comfortable shave from a Med Prep or Kai DE blade either. Put an Astra SP in your R89 and go from there. It’s a good smooth middle of the road blade. good luck.

Thanks for the advice!
Think time to chuck my merkur and kai blades and get some new astra sp ones. Maybe that would help with making my r89 tad more consistent.

I was reading many other threads and seems feathers and Gillette silver blues and and also personnas all work well with wr2s?

After all I have been reading I have been rather slanting towards a 1.15 sb. Instead of my initial idea of a super super gentle 0.95sb.
Coz from what I hear everyone saying the 1.15 is no less aggressive or blade feel-ish than a charcoal goods level 2 or tradere or timeless 0.95 yet much smoother and efficient at same time once dialed in.

Was initially quite keen on the cool idea of an oc on one side and using that to maybe have a tad more aggressive side to plow through a week's growth for when I don't shave for a while. And from what I have been hearing seems the wr2 oc head is also a very smooth one and almost similar to sb in terms of smoothness? Hmmm :)

I used to run with a DE89 / R89 quite often and got good shaves. My first Wolfman was a 1.15, and I never felt it was too aggressive. In fact I put my name back on the list and added a 1.25 to my arsenal.

I know blades are a ymmv thing... but Merkur and Muhle blades are about the worst blades I’ve ever tried. I’ve never gotten a comfortable shave from a Med Prep or Kai DE blade either. Put an Astra SP in your R89 and go from there. It’s a good smooth middle of the road blade. good luck.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks for the advice!
Think time to chuck my merkur and kai blades and get some new astra sp ones. Maybe that would help with making my r89 tad more consistent.

I was reading many other threads and seems feathers and Gillette silver blues and and also personnas all work well with wr2s?

After all I have been reading I have been rather slanting towards a 1.15 sb. Instead of my initial idea of a super super gentle 0.95sb.
Coz from what I hear everyone saying the 1.15 is no less aggressive or blade feel-ish than a charcoal goods level 2 or tradere or timeless 0.95 yet much smoother and efficient at same time once dialed in.

Was initially quite keen on the cool idea of an oc on one side and using that to maybe have a tad more aggressive side to plow through a week's growth for when I don't shave for a while. And from what I have been hearing seems the wr2 oc head is also a very smooth one and almost similar to sb in terms of smoothness? Hmmm :)

First, dont toss your other blades. I have a stash of Kai. Maybe 50 of them. Cant stand them. NEVER got a single acceptable shave result from one. But I keep trying them in different razors from time to time, as you never know when that magic combination will appear. (FYI Kai artist club blades are excellent for me. Go figure.)

Second, even though I get a similar shave from the CG Level 2 as I do with the WR2 1.15, the Wolf is infinitely smoother than any Level 2. There is no comparison in the smoothness factor. The Level 2 has some blade feel. The 1.15 has almost none. It is insane how smooth and efficient the 1.15 can be. However, I must say that I do get an ever so slightly closer shave from the Level 2 in my trouble spots on my neck and under my jaw bone. That is why i went up to the WR2 1.25.

Third, blades are a ymmv thing for sure. But, you seem to gravitate towards blades I hate. Can shave with GBS's. Dont care for Feathers in most razors, except maybe a Tech. Never met an American made Personna blade I have liked. And thats not a bad thing.

However, I never used a Perma Sharp gold blade before I got my Wolf. It was recommended. And it was magic in that razor. It has since become my #2 blade overall. #1 is Polsilver / Wizment. Also love Sputnik blades. Not very popular, but sharp and smooth for me. Astra SP's have been very consistent for me over the years. I consider the Astra SP my baseline blade. i often will use it for the first shave in a new razor. Or if I am having rough shaves in a particular razor with a sharper blade, i will toss in an Astra SP and see if it smooths it out. A general all around good blade for me.

There are so many great blades, and not every blade works for every person, or in every razor. Trying all that stuff is half the fun. Cheers!

Was initially quite keen on the cool idea of an oc on one side and using that to maybe have a tad more aggressive side to plow through a week's growth for when I don't shave for a while. And from what I have been hearing seems the wr2 oc head is also a very smooth one and almost similar to sb in terms of smoothness?

A mild Wolfman will have no problem with a week's growth, I've used my WR1 .54 for this and imagine a .95 or 1.05 WR2 won't be troubled. Unless you need a one-pass shave, the smaller gaps will be fine.

WR1 OC and SB are close in feel, but I do prefer the OC. I believe the same isn't true for the WR2.

So maybe now just a question of .95 or 1.05 or 1.15 sb. I currenly use a muhle r89 head

I have both the WR2 in both 1.05 and 1.15. I'd like to help, but I've never used the R89. Have you used any other razors? Some quick searches makes me think that the R89 is similar to a Karve B plate or Rockwell 3 or 4? If that's accurate, then I would recommend either ... wait for it ... either the 1.05 or 1.15. What a shocker I have those!

Seriously, if the comparisons to the R89 are correct, you will really like either one. Put another way, you cannot make a bad choice between the two. You might want a closer shave with a hint of blade feel (1.15) or might want something more neutral to rock around the face (1.05). My impression about the WR2 is that, because of its smoothness, you can up a degree in efficiency or so from another razor but it will feel as smooth as all get out (which means you might want to go up 'two' degrees of efficiency).

But again, this all depends on the R89 being a fair base line for what you like (not clear at all if this is true) and then other opinions comparing the R89 to razors I have. If I had to suggest just one, it would be the 1.05.

So maybe now just a question of .95 or 1.05 or 1.15 sb.

I currenly use a muhle r89 head but it gives me a while mixed bag of shaves.

I have a DE89 and a WR2 .95 SB. I can't speak to the higher gap Wolfman's, but the .95 is more forgiving, more efficient, and has less blade feels than the DE89. I imagine a 1.05 isn't that much different from the .95, other than being just a bit more efficient. If I were to do it over again, I would still stick with the .95 simply because it's plenty efficient for me and I like mild and very forgiving razors.

Calling all WR2 experts. I have recently received my 1.15SB and adore it. Like most it seems I'm back on the list contemplating my next purchase upping the gap.

I don't like much blade feel and generally I get none with the 1.15 except on a patch on my neck. Due to this patch I am a one pass shaver which gets me close to DFS. Does anyone have experience with 1.15, 1.25, 1.35 and 1.45 that could describe the increase in blade feel? I'm thinking maybe a SB 1.25/1.45?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

If you don't like blade feel, definitely do not go beyond 1.35,
as blade feel on this gap is present enough to remind you at every stroke.

You can try a 1.25 at which point you may well decide to sell your 1.15

Personally I only see tangible differences in wolfman wr2 heads when I skip a gap.

What do you want to get out of a higher gap that you aren’t already getting out of the one you just received? You have stated that you already use only one pass, at least in certain areas, because of blade feel. You can’t really use less passes. From 1.25 up you have more blade feel. I would say enjoy your razor for the next 4-6 months, use it as much as you can and then ask again based upon goals that you aren’t getting. You may find you already have your perfect razor. Good luck.

What do you want to get out of a higher gap that you aren’t already getting out of the one you just received? You have stated that you already use only one pass, at least in certain areas, because of blade feel. You can’t really use less passes. From 1.25 up you have more blade feel. I would say enjoy your razor for the next 4-6 months, use it as much as you can and then ask again based upon goals that you aren’t getting. You may find you already have your perfect razor. Good luck.
Trying to get a bit more efficiency especially on my neck....I also just want another Wolfman ;)

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Given the one pass due to irritation, I'd suggest refining your technique or getting a lower gap and doing an extra pass.

I'm just finalising an order for the 0.95 gap.

You could always try an old cut blade shim (or several 😆) between the baseplate and your actual blade to see what you think of more gap. I’m not sure if this exactly replicates the machined changes between gaps but many others have done this. You can also consider a WR1. There are people on here that love that model as well.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
If you don't like blade feel, definitely do not go beyond 1.35,
as blade feel on this gap is present enough to remind you at every stroke.

You can try a 1.25 at which point you may well decide to sell your 1.15

Personally I only see tangible differences in wolfman wr2 heads when I skip a gap.
Given the one pass due to irritation, I'd suggest refining your technique or getting a lower gap and doing an extra pass.

I'm just finalising an order for the 0.95 gap.
You could always try an old cut blade shim (or several 😆) between the baseplate and your actual blade to see what you think of more gap. I’m not sure if this exactly replicates the machined changes between gaps but many others have done this. You can also consider a WR1. There are people on here that love that model as well.
All really outstanding suggestions.

Top Bottom