What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The Bird and Wolf play very well together.
image.jpg

Thank you so much for your kind advice!

Will certainly consider and likely order a dual comb like you suggested.

Just wondering though, the slight increase in aggression of 0.95 to 1.05 on the SB side. Would you a consider that still minimal blade feel and like the efficiency of a level 2 charcoal goods /.95 timeless but like the smoothness and ease on skin of perhaps the 0.68 timeless? Haha or am I just dreaming of such a dream combo that doesn't exist. Lol :)

You certainly can request a dual comb, and I think the .95 OC/1.05 SB might be perfect for you.

Ooh hmm thought that the original wrh7 handle would already be enough length. I currently use a pretty short custom wood handle from elite razors and that works quite well for me.
But will certainly take you suggestion into account and might go with the slightly longer wrh7 handle.

Prob won't bother paying the extra for the hollow as shld be ok with the heft. Unless many of u here think that the hollow is well worth the money for the upgrade?

Hmmm I haven't seen many pics of the basic Matt. But I do quite like the idea of a fuss free Matt look. Hmmm

WRH7 is one of the sexiest handles ever conceived....

But I would recommend the larger WRH7...98mm...it just has better balance and grip
for my hand (which is of average size). And if you want it 30 sms lighter, order it in hollow.
Well worth the CAD30 upcharge.

Also, if you're looking for a carefree finish that will take daily abuse with a smile, I would say go
for basic matt. Wolfman's polished goods need a fair bit of care.

Hannah's Dad

Just wondering though, the slight increase in aggression of 0.95 to 1.05 on the SB side. Would you a consider that still minimal blade feel and like the efficiency of a level 2 charcoal goods /.95 timeless but like the smoothness and ease on skin of perhaps the 0.68 timeless? Haha or am I just dreaming of such a dream combo that doesn't exist. Lol :)
As I understand it, neither the .95 nor the 1.05 has positive blade exposure; therefore, they should be quite smooth and lack blade feel. The higher gap would likely provide a greater margin of error for maximum efficiency via proper technique. I think you’ll be smitten with the Wolfman.

It’s just a #10 plastic washer (Home Depot or Lowe’s). The washer isn’t necessary to make it fit — it will just prevent scratching the SS if you mix/match.

Thanks! I noticed my BB handle is only four grams lighter than the 90 Hollow. So, in terms of length/weight, I can get a good idea if I should go Hollow or Solid on a 90.

DW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh hmm thought that the original wrh7 handle would already be enough length. I currently use a pretty short custom wood handle from elite razors and that works quite well for me.
But will certainly take you suggestion into account and might go with the slightly longer wrh7 handle.

Prob won't bother paying the extra for the hollow as shld be ok with the heft. Unless many of u here think that the hollow is well worth the money for the upgrade?

I find the standard length/weight H7 to be about as perfect a pairing for the WR2 head as one could ask for. I could see it making sense for the longer and larger H7 XL, but I would not suggest getting the regular H7 in hollow, as it is very light....the lightest of any available WR SS handles, in fact. A hollow H7 on a SS WR2 head would be way too head-heavy for my taste. Your taste may vary, though.

That said, I love my hollow 90mm H2 on my WR2. That combo is DE razor perfection, IMHO.

I ordered the 1.05mm gap. I have attempted to take a photo of it. Unfortunately, I do not have a microlens. Perhaps this can give you an idea of what the blade exposure is like. As you can see the mirror finish on the head acts just like a mirror and reflects everything!

IMG_0041.jpg

Last edited:

I have the 1.05 SB and it has zero blade feel. I feel that it is very comparable to my M2 ATT which is a open comb. It feels very mild and very easy to control. It just effortlessly glides around your face with zero irritation. I bet you would be happy with that combo.

Gents,

Another wonderful shave. Two-day growth.

On the waiting list for a new handle. But will use the 80 Solid and give the BB handle a try when washers come in.

Great razor. Not sure I could do daily with the 1.25, but very very happy. Maybe when my turn comes up, 1.15 or 1.05 for daily use.

Just great. Thank you again to Hannah’s Dad for the suggestion!

DW.

Thanks, Dan. The 1.15 has been my daily driver for over a year now. This 1.25 order was a bit of an experiment, and it also served another purpose for me. It gave me the opportunity to pick up a hollow H2 to test drive against my current solid H2, and to also add an H7 to the den, which I’ve been wanting to do for a while. As for the experiment, I‘ve long maintained that my 1.15 hits the sweet spot of efficiency and comfort for a daily driver. Still, I’m interested to learn whether the 1.25 would add a degree of improved performance (i.e., added efficiency without sacrificing comfort) while still allowing me to shave daily.

Two shaves in, my honest assessment is that I’m detecting a definite increase in blade feel with the 1.25, but, surprisingly, I’m not yet noticing a commensurate uptick in efficiency over the 1.15. Maybe I just need a little more time with it the 1.25, but at this point if I were forced to choose just one Wolfie, I think I’d have to stick with my 1.15.

If that conclusion holds, I may be looking to swap the 1.25 head for a WR1 head of some flavor. Anyone have any suggestions for the best medium-aggressive WR1 gap to try?

Well, I’ll be darned if every shave with my new 1.25 isn’t better than the previous one. I’m not sure I can still say what I said in bold above. I plan to circle back to my 1.15 for my next shave, at which point I should be in a position to provide an informed comparison of my two WR2 razors. I have to say, though, this 1.25 is really growing on me.

Hannah's Dad

Well, I’ll be darned if every shave with my new 1.25 isn’t better than the previous one. I’m not sure I can still say what I said in bold above. I plan to circle back to my 1.15 for my next shave, at which point I should be in a position to provide an informed comparison of my two WR2 razors. I have to say, though, this 1.25 is really growing on me.
1610414787417.gif

I formed a theory after playing with a few WR2 heads.
In order to gain/notice an appreciable difference in shave qualities
with a WR2 head, you need to always skip a gap. Head differences
between a 1.35 and say, a 1.45 do not merit the additional expenditure.
However, I feel a palpable difference between the 1.35 and 1.55

The hard part is to find your baseline for efficiency. A lot of time and money
goes into that exercise. If someone had told me a year ago that my minimum
WR2 baseline for acceptable efficiency (with comparable smoothness) was 1.35mm,
I would have scoffed. But it is....and so I'm only using a 1.35 and a 1.55.

Last edited:
Top Bottom