What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

Imagepipe_10.jpg

Does anyone know the gaps for the WR3 and how the WR3 gaps compare to the WR1/WR2 gaps?? It’s more I’m curious and for other interested members, not for ordering as I already have my perfect Wolfman.

As per @Leverspro those are the standard offerings.

Like the WR2 you can order off the menu gaps like .80 for instance.

IMO it doesn't really compare to the WR1/2 because of the change in blade format. A much better comparison would be other GEM razors, both vintage and modern. The .40 SB is pretty close in feel to the Sabre. The .50 OC is more like a Micromatic. The 0.74 OC is terribly aggressive and not really suitable for daily shaves IMO.

SB and OC gaps are very close for efficiency in the same gap, I found my .35 OC very similar to the .40 SB but the SB is smoother with the safety bar.

Gaps +.40 (standard gap) have a modified geometry, i.e. a little more aggressive/efficient.

GEM blades simply have different feel on the face.

Gaps compared other GEM razors

0.10 Above the Tie (ATT) G1 (v.1)
0.25 Above the Tie (ATT) G1 (v.2)
0.40 ER Streamline
0.48 GEM 1912
0.56 GEM Clog-Pruf
0.58 GEM Micromatic OC, Featherweight, G-Bar

As per @Leverspro those are the standard offerings.

Like the WR2 you can order off the menu gaps like .80 for instance.

IMO it doesn't really compare to the WR1/2 because of the change in blade format. A much better comparison would be other GEM razors, both vintage and modern. The .40 SB is pretty close in feel to the Sabre. The .50 OC is more like a Micromatic. The 0.74 OC is terribly aggressive and not really suitable for daily shaves IMO.

SB and OC gaps are very close for efficiency in the same gap, I found my .35 OC very similar to the .40 SB but the SB is smoother with the safety bar.

Gaps +.40 (standard gap) have a modified geometry, i.e. a little more aggressive/efficient.

GEM blades simply have different feel on the face.

Gaps compared other GEM razors

0.10 Above the Tie (ATT) G1 (v.1)
0.25 Above the Tie (ATT) G1 (v.2)
0.40 ER Streamline
0.48 GEM 1912
0.56 GEM Clog-Pruf
0.58 GEM Micromatic OC, Featherweight, G-Bar
Great info. Following your WR3 testing and my love for the MMOC is why I bought the WR3 .60 OC.

I think the MMOC might be smoother on the WTG pass but in my opinion the GEM format excels in ATG and the WR3 is truly awesome on my ATG pass.

Thanks Leverspro. I’ve been planning on getting a WR2 1.05, but wanted to contemplate the WR1 for a day before pulling the trigger. I’ve heard that about the WR1 and the Lupo before - that they aren’t really all that similar, even though the Lupo is supposedly based on the WR1, so it’s helpful to have your take in that regard.

I finished my payment a while ago(12/1)
Do you know how long it will take to complete after payment?

By the way, I know it's late, but I didn't pay extra for the SB/OC DC head.
The same was true for the gap not listed as 1.10

The one thing that surprised me the most was when I finished paying because I thought the price was in USD!
Lucky in a way.

I know an idiot who always thought the price is USD, too. Usually wears a red hat, has blue skin and a white beard. No names plz! :c10:
Wait a minute, so now you are telling me that a Wolfman is only about... $250 USD?! :idea:
(or is the Looney even more worthless since I last checked?)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The WR1 is a great open comb razor with a very traditional feel when shaving. It's the best traditional open comb I've ever used. But the WR2 is special. It's a unique concept in its configuration and the way it holds the blade. It looks quite unique and feels amazing to shave with. If I were forced to pick one, the WR2 would win by a mile.

I got a Lupo 95 some time after I already owned several Wolfman Razors. I don't think it is anywhere near the same class of razor. But it's good and has some good shaves. Can't beat it for the price. I believe it's the best Razorock razor at the moment. I use mine in my rotation of travel Razors.

Wow, it really is only six weeks now for the Wolfman waitlist. I just placed my next order with Tara. Couple more weeks to get the invoice, though, and start making it.

I decided my WR2 1.55 is so perfect for me that there was only one choice I could make. A WR2 0.95. Serene is the new savage. I have an idea that the extreme ends of the range might be the best WR2s. But it will anyway be different and we’ll see how I like it. I went for basic polish C954 bronze and a Darwin handle. I wonder how close the bronze colour is to my Lambdas and how the Darwin handle would look on my Athena - if it fits.

I’ve got a WR2 1.35 and it is a good razor but not anywhere near as fantastic for me as the 1.55. Didn’t seem worth it for me to get something else in the middle or close to the 1.35.

I’ll probably try a WR3 after this. Never used a GEM format razor before and I’m starting to warm to the idea of shaving with a paint stripper blade.

Top Bottom