What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

JgwbJUY.jpg
BT33MGu.jpg
7StpVFx.jpg
ySpGLWD.jpg

New satin finish

Point of clarification noted. My understanding was Joel only worked on the Guerilla. I think all WR1s and WR2s are his alone until that announcement. The main gist of my point intact. No one else may care, I do. This is just my opinion. Not trying to throw shade for the fun of it. DuFour has few bigger fans than me, I've ordered more than my share. I just don't like where it's headed. I think if he is going to embrace production razors it would be nice if he offered a bench series of customs for a premium. Maybe that is where he is headed. I'm just not a fan of the transition.

I do see your point. When I decided to order a wolf in the summer of 2020, part of the mystique was that I was getting an exquisite razor made by a sole craftsman in Canada. And James seemed kind of mysterious as I’ve never seen him in a video on YouTube or even read a post from him in a shaving forum. From a business standpoint, I totally get it. You will only grown so big as a one man show. But, I’m glad I got my razor when I did. Now I wish it had a date code or a serial number.

I agree with what others have said, part of the allure of a Wolfman was the mystique and knowing a single perfectionist machined and finished each razor.

The drops were pretty darn exciting too, I received one through a drop, I missed the head but got a handle in a drop then got a thrilling email a week later asking if I wanted a head, and one from the waitlist. I didn't have a page monitor and it felt even more exciting getting one.

I hope with his updates, hiring a machinist and making finishing more efficient, that he opens more custom orders. I'd love to get a different metal or two, a 0.86 OC in Titanium would be my grail, a brass razor would be just fine too. I hope once the SS waitlist goes faster, the bench series will come, but who knows, maybe a WR3 is in the works...

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I do see your point. When I decided to order a wolf in the summer of 2020, part of the mystique was that I was getting an exquisite razor made by a sole craftsman in Canada. And James seemed kind of mysterious as I’ve never seen him in a video on YouTube or even read a post from him in a shaving forum. From a business standpoint, I totally get it. You will only grown so big as a one man show. But, I’m glad I got my razor when I did. Now I wish it had a date code or a serial number.

James appears on reddit occasionally, so there is no need to imagine his mystery.

James said that this article was his first self-promotion when he first came out in 2015, and he created a classic from here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Wet_Shavers/comments/2sqass/_/cnsfjrj
This is a more detailed self-introduction by James two years after wolfman was founded, explaining how he entered the industry, and personally answering many people's questions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Wetshaving/comments/5p9iad
We can even find people who have visited the werewolf studio and took many photos.
My visit to Wolfman Razors shop (Pic Heavy) - http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=29262

I think James is too demanding of himself, even if James adds mechanical processing, we don't have to worry about quality changes; this will prolong his tendon health and make the brand last longer.

Quality has dropped and the finishes are inconsistent since these moves.

Hi Sir. This is a very bold claim. Do you have proof of that?

I am thinking about getting a Wolfman, but the more I read about it the less interested I get. I was thinking of it as the best shaver ever, but going through the threads I get some comments that really make me think thrice before spending that amount of cash. I don't care how many people polished the hell out of it, I don't care about the "mystique", I don't join drops, etc. But if it shaves better than my other razors, I am interested - but I am not waiting a year to buy it!

With all due respect (I don't want to hurt any feelings), but from my outsider perspective, the Wolfman community feels quite snob and vain, not at all like the broader wetshaving community. If Wolfman's goal is to expand their customer base and be more accessible instead of always selling to the same customers that go over and over again through the waiting list, I am 100% supportive!

Last edited:

I am thinking about getting a Wolfman, but the more I read about it the less interested I get. I was thinking of it as the best shaver ever, but going through the threads I get some comments that really make me think thrice before spending that amount of cash. I don't care how many people polished the hell out of it, I don't care about the "mystique", I don't join drops, etc. But if it shaves better than my other razors, I am interested - but I am not waiting a year to buy it!

With all due respect (I don't want to hurt any feelings), but from my outsider perspective, the Wolfman community feels quite snob and vain, not at all like the broader wetshaving community. If Wolfman's goal is to expand their customer base and be more accessible instead of always selling to the same customers that go over and over again through the waiting list, I am 100% supportive!

Please don’t let the somewhat disparaging
posts discussing about machine finishing and questions of quality mislead you and give you the wrong impression about Wolfman razors. I’ve purchased 2. They’re both phenomenal. I haven’t found a single flaw on either one. In fact they’re so perfect, the plates resonate (sing) when assembling the razor. The only thing I didn’t like about the first was the 1.15 gap was too small (plenty of others find that gap great, though). My second is a 1.30. Performance on it is so great, I’ve used it the past 8 days in a row—I can’t seem to put it down.

Who cares if it was machine or hand finished? It it turns out great, then it is great! If machining opens up the opportunity for us to get better access to his products, then that’s a win for all of us. To me, besides the performance and craftsmanship, the other big benefit of his business is the ability to customize and get exactly the specs you want. Who else does that? For those of us with acute preferences, the value of this cannot be overstated.

Lastly, I’d be shocked if one of James products had an issue and he wasn’t willing to make it right. No process is ever 100% perfect. Oh, and it took 7 months from getting on the list to shaving with it, and I delayed a couple of weeks in confirming my order.

Last edited:
James appears on reddit occasionally, so there is no need to imagine his mystery.

James said that this article was his first self-promotion when he first came out in 2015, and he created a classic from here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Wet_Shavers/comments/2sqass/_/cnsfjrj
This is a more detailed self-introduction by James two years after wolfman was founded, explaining how he entered the industry, and personally answering many people's questions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Wetshaving/comments/5p9iad
We can even find people who have visited the werewolf studio and took many photos.
My visit to Wolfman Razors shop (Pic Heavy) - http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=29262

I think James is too demanding of himself, even if James adds mechanical processing, we don't have to worry about quality changes; this will prolong his tendon health and make the brand last longer.
Thanks for this. I had no idea!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

If you spend a little time in the ‘Wolfman Wednesday’ thread, you’ll see that these razors are bringing joy to many new shavers, and since anyone can sign up to get on the waitlist, there’s nothing exclusive about them anymore. The whole point of James’ ceasing the ‘random drop’ system was to expand his customer base. The new Google email system ensures that anyone can get a Wolfman.

As for its quality as a shaver, my WR2 1.25 SB has kicked dozens, probably over 100, razors (both vintage and modern) out of my den because they could not provide the same results. For me, it’s the perfect balance of blade feel, smoothness and cutting efficiency for a daily driver.

I can’t speak to these reported QC issues, as I’ve not experienced them first-hand. Any diminution of the Wolfman reputation will not alter my opinion that it is still one of, if not the, greatest shavers out there.

Like I said, there are few bigger fans of DuFour and his work than me. For me, the WR1 and WR2 are the 2 best 3 piece heads on the market. Throw in a Blackbird and I am set. James makes a superb shaver. If you haven't had a Wolfman, you will be none the wiser on finishes. You really should buy one, or three. It won't take a year either....and if you hate it, sell it and move on. That's how the game works.

My comments have more to do with brushed finishing inconsistency since Joel came back. I base this on what I read, what I'm told in private (most guys don't say the quiet part out loud), and the photos provided on other forums. There have been several razors sent back for refunds for quality issues recently, something I have never heard of in my time of chasing them (January 2018-present). It just didn't happen, until a few months ago. You may find some info on B/B, I dunno, I don't spend much time here. The evidence you request is certainly there though. The numbers might be small in the grand scheme of things but the recent rash of issues validate my "bold claim", which isn't really so bold. My comments are really kinda nitpicky to begin with. But, the comments are factual and can be corroborated if one chooses to look.

And...I never said James would not stand behind any issues, of course he does. Refunds and/or fixes are assured. No worries there.

And by definition, nothing I said is disparaging. I didn't say there was little worth, quite the opposite. Labeling my comments as such isn't accurate and further demonstrates why I don't spend a lot of time here. Anything south of a total thumbs up and people get their knickers in a wad.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Like I said, there are few bigger fans of DuFour and his work than me. For me, the WR1 and WR2 are the 2 best 3 piece heads on the market. Throw in a Blackbird and I am set. James makes a superb shaver. If you haven't had a Wolfman, you will be none the wiser on finishes. You really should buy one, or three. It won't take a year either....and if you hate it, sell it and move on. That's how the game works.

My comments have more to do with brushed finishing inconsistency since Joel came back. I base this on what I read, what I'm told in private (most guys don't say the quiet part out loud), and the photos provided on other forums. There have been several razors sent back for refunds for quality issues recently, something I have never heard of in my time of chasing them (January 2018-present). It just didn't happen, until a few months ago. You may find some info on B/B, I dunno, I don't spend much time here. The evidence you request is certainly there though. The numbers might be small in the grand scheme of things but the recent rash of issues validate my "bold claim", which isn't really so bold. My comments are really kinda nitpicky to begin with. But, the comments are factual and can be corroborated if one chooses to look.

And...I never said James would not stand behind any issues, of course he does. Refunds and/or fixes are assured. No worries there.

And by definition, nothing I said is disparaging. I didn't say there was little worth, quite the opposite. Labeling my comments as such isn't accurate and further demonstrates why I don't spend a lot of time here. Anything south of a total thumbs up and people get their knickers in a wad.
Your perspective is always welcomed and appreciated around here, James.

If you spend a little time in the ‘Wolfman Wednesday’ thread, you’ll see that these razors are bringing joy to many new shavers, and since anyone can sign up to get on the waitlist, there’s nothing exclusive about them anymore. The whole point of James’ ceasing the ‘random drop’ system was to expand his customer base. The new Google email system ensures that anyone can get a Wolfman.

As for its quality as a shaver, my WR2 1.25 SB has kicked dozens, probably over 100, razors (both vintage and modern) out of my den because they could not provide the same results. For me, it’s the perfect balance of blade feel, smoothness and cutting efficiency for a daily driver.

I can’t speak to these reported QC issues, as I’ve not experienced them first-hand. Any diminution of the Wolfman reputation will not alter my opinion that it is still one of, if not the, greatest shavers out there.

Thanks, that's reassuring. Of course I check that thread, and more often than not you see a post from a new owner saying great things about it

To me, besides the performance and craftsmanship, the other big benefit of his business is the ability to customize and get exactly the specs you want. Who else does that? For those of us with acute preferences, the value of this cannot be overstated.

Excellent point. Although I've never taken advantage, I can see where this is a massive plus to some.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

But only you could persuade DuFour to create a WR2 1.95 gap … :pipe:
Ha. I wish! Any favour I once had, is gone. I asked for a 1.85mm but was denied. I am no longer the golden boy.

Like most others, I am content waiting until he satiates the SS market. Maybe then we will see some alternate materials. The wait times on SS have been considerably reduced so maybe we are reaching that point? If only I could get enough people to quit ordering SS....hmmm

My apologies James to have taken your comments out of context. Just trying to add my perspective as a satisfied customer!

I agree with what others have said, part of the allure of a Wolfman was the mystique and knowing a single perfectionist machined and finished each razor.

The drops were pretty darn exciting too, I received one through a drop, I missed the head but got a handle in a drop then got a thrilling email a week later asking if I wanted a head, and one from the waitlist. I didn't have a page monitor and it felt even more exciting getting one.

I hope with his updates, hiring a machinist and making finishing more efficient, that he opens more custom orders. I'd love to get a different metal or two, a 0.86 OC in Titanium would be my grail, a brass razor would be just fine too. I hope once the SS waitlist goes faster, the bench series will come, but who knows, maybe a WR3 is in the works...
A WR3 you say? Rumors have been swirling...

My apologies James to have taken your comments out of context. Just trying to add my perspective as a satisfied customer!
No apologies necessary, friend. I am 1000% satisfied as a customer, DuFour has been exceedingly gracious with me over the years.

However, that doesn't mean I don't observe and ponder....and I don't have much of a filter, as demonstrated. DuFour is still the king of the 3 piece, in my den. Other people's problems don't create them for me either.

I was fortunate to remain near the front of the Wolfman line, to the chagrin of many. Ha! Drops were the best. They entertained and distracted me for many moons.

I love a good debate and there are no losers in this most recent debate about Wolfman razors.

Yes, it was satisfying knowing that my BBS-1's, WR1's and WR2's were all finished with the Albertan hands of James Dufour, also satisfying to finally get the "drop" back in the day and equally as satisfying to hear Wolfman was going to a more equitable means of queuing for a razor with the Google order system.

With that said, I am all for an even more efficient process as long as the end product is what we all would expect from a $300+ Wolfman razor. I have Wolfman #9 (I think) on the way to me as I type and I have no doubt it will be a winner.

Good problems to have and good times in our shaving world, if you ask me.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Top Bottom