What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

I'd like something more efficient than the 1.15 I have, but less aggressive than the Blackbird.

just tossing another man's opinion on the fire...

I own the Blackbird SB SS and just sold the WR2 1.15.
The WR2 in this gap seemed just a bit "unruly" compared to other razors I use, including the Blackbird.
The WR2 would always bite and/or produce wheepers, for me. (in contrast, the WR1 OC .74 might just be my holy grail razor!)
Other Members absolutely *rave* about the WR2 1.15 - so, I might just be in the minority...

The Blackbird is a razor that I took to immediately - right outta the box. (same with the WR1 .74 noted above)
Some Members always caution about "blade feel" with this razor - but i don't get it.
It's as smooth as butter for me.
I think the wide differences in opinion *may* be due to how one positions the razor in use: more shallow, neutral, or steep.
Seems like the "blade feel" camp, also positions this razor "steep"?
I use it "neutral", the way the Maker intends, by keeping the head bevel surface flat against my skin.
It's quite intuitive.

I would be prone to say: the Blackbird is slightly more efficient and a good bit less aggressive, than the WR2 1.15. If you think you can deal with more aggressiveness than the 1.15, in an effort to chase greater efficiency? Then go for it! Only way to know, for sure...

Last edited:
just tossing another man's opinion on the fire...

I own the Blackbird SB SS and just sold the WR2 1.15.
The WR2 in this gap seemed just a bit "unruly" compared to other razors I use, including the Blackbird.
The WR2 would always bite and/or produce wheepers, for me. (in contrast, the WR1 OC .74 might just be my holy grail razor!)
Other Members absolutely *rave* about the WR2 1.15 - so, I might just be in the minority...

The Blackbird is a razor that I took to immediately - right outta the box. (same with the WR1 .74 noted above)
Some Members always caution about "blade feel" with this razor - but i don't get it.
It's as smooth as butter for me.
I think the wide differences in opinion *may* be due to how one positions the razor in use: more shallow, neutral, or steep.
Seems like the "blade feel" camp, also positions this razor "steep"?
I use it "neutral", the way the Maker intends, by keeping the head bevel surface flat against my skin.
It's quite intuitive.

I would be prone to say: the Blackbird is slightly more efficient and a good bit less aggressive, than the WR2 1.15. If you think you can deal with more aggressiveness than the 1.15, in an effort to chase greater efficiency? Then go for it! Only way to know, for sure...
I'd have to say this is almost exactly how I related to the WR2 but in 1.25 gap that most said was the same as the Blackbird but I found it to be way beyond the Blackbird. As you said, most describe the Blackbird as a blade feel beast but I'd have to disagree with that assumption as I found it much milder than the WR2 1.25 and that was even in Titanium usin th e TiBB in a neutral angle same as you... The WR2 has since moved on to someone new and wasn't in my possesion for very long, but at a pretty substantial loss I might add!! Wolfman razors don't hold they're resale value as much as most lead on about, but its all good though as I'm more than happy that I tried a Wolfman and found that I had the best razor for me in the Ti Blackbird and I now know there is no reason to look further as it is my grail razor for sure, as I knew from the 1st shave I had with it almost 3yrs ago...

If I had to guess I'd say "my" Ti Blackbird would probably compare more in the range of say a WR2 1.05 gap....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I finalized my order with Tara so when my name comes up, I'll get the invoice quickly...I did this the last time and I got the invoice from James in just a couple days... And the order was sent out 2 weeks later... a week or so delivery time from Canada to Florida, UPS...

WR4 0.50, basic polish bronze
WRH 3/7 with the H2 knurling, basic polish bronze, 90mm, hollow
WRA1 razor stand, basic polish bronze.

I have the Darwin handle with the WRA2 razor stand, also in basic polish bronze.... I will try that with my WR4 and see if it's a match... if not, I have a Timeless 0.38 bronze head mounted on it now so it isn't headless on the top of my tall dresser. <eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Anyone know the weight of a WRH1 (or WRH2) handle in titanium for 90mm and 80mm? Also does he make 85mm handles?
You can also buy hollow handles in most of the metals now. I have a 90mm hollow bronze handle that weighs ~40 grams... In comparison, the 90mm Ti Crown handle weighs 42.7 grams.

Here is a list of the handles, standard and hollow, with their weights.

I generally like stainless steel heads with titanium handles for balance. My steel overlander handle is 67 gr and I don't like it. I put a Timeless crown handle in it and all is right with the world. I wanted to see how much a difference a hollow stainless steel handle was to titanium.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I generally like stainless steel heads with titanium handles for balance. My steel overlander handle is 67 gr and I don't like it. I put a Timeless crown handle in it and all is right with the world. I wanted to see how much a difference a hollow stainless steel handle was to titanium.

I have tried Titanium and still prefer SS, brass or bronze. For me heavier works better. Never liked aluminum, and still don't. Hollow handles aren't my thing at all.
I also love the SS razor heads and titanium or lighter weight handles such as the hollow Wolfman handles... I don't like the lighter weight of full titanium razors and I like aluminum razors even less.

But I do realize, this is totally subjective. I know several people here who love the heaviest razors. Some like ultra light razors... and lots of people in between.

Still curious what handle is best for WR2 head.
I plan to order WR2 Ti head but not sure about handle.
Have only Ti WRH7 with Ti WR1 head, perfect combination for me, and SS Darwin handle for WR4 SS head, also ok. Other SS WR2 head and use it with Rocnel Ti handle and I like it more as with same metal Darwin handle..

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I thought I'd give an update. Tara contacted me last Monday, April 8th. Tara sent the invoice out today... So it was 3 months to the day from when I added my name to the wait list, then a week for the invoice to show up. Tara and I had already discussed my purchase so there was no delay there.

When I placed my first order for my WR2, Tara told me, they try to get the order out within two weeks after the invoice is paid. I'm pretty sure that is still their goal. I only ordered a handle and stand this time around. That will give me three Wolman handles, all in bronze. Two of them are hollow 90mm 3/7 with two different knurlings, along with the Darwin. The plan is to use one of the hollow 3/7s for my other brass and bronze razors with heavier handles, as their hollow handles are around 40 grams.

Top Bottom