What's new

Wolfman - Keeping Track of Plates

One odd thing I found about Wolfman is that they do not label their plates (unless I am missing it). If I acquire new plates and mix them up, is there any way to tell them apart again? I vaguely remember another thread in which members went to the calipers to try and do this, but it didn't sound like they were successful.

Just take a sharp knife and carve the gap number into the bottom of the baseplate. That will help you keep them straight and won’t affect the quality of the shave.

IMO there have been some cases where customers asked Wolfman to engrave the gap
on the underside of the baseplate, but it just looks terrible for some reason. It may be the font.

The best thing Ive found, if you have a couple, is to get them made in different materials.

I have two on identical handles but one is Ti and the other is the basic matt. Never have a problem
telling them apart

I wonder if James has the same issue? I often wonder if I received the correct gap for my WR 1. How can a 0.61 blade gap be so aggressive?

I wonder if James has the same issue? I often wonder if I received the correct gap for my WR 1. How can a 0.61 blade gap be so aggressive?

Agree. I like more aggressive razors like slim cranked up to 8, Karve with E plate, just ordered WR2 in higher blade gap. But my WR1 in 0.61 is pretty darn perfect. I have no desire to get another with more aggressive gap.

Would be nice to have them marked somehow like ATT and timeless razors though for folks that have multiple heads/base plates.

I have the 1.05 and 1.15, and measured them with calipers, and there is a small, objective way to tell the difference. Right now, I have two scraps of flannel—I rest/wrap the 1.05 in red flannel, and the 1.15 in blue flannel. It's not ideal but it certainly works (until I confuse the colors).

Similar to what @Chad3 wrote, I was thinking of taking an old shim I made (just an old blade with the edges snipped), labeling the shim with the gap, and then keeping the plate, top cap, and shim loaded together. Less likely to confuse them that way. It's not perfect, but it sounds better to me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I keep my two Wolfman razors on vastly different handles. There will be no confusing them. If you’re looking for spare baseplates, good luck with that. They don’t sell them.

I have the 1.05 and 1.15, and measured them with calipers, and there is a small, objective way to tell the difference. Right now, I have two scraps of flannel—I rest/wrap the 1.05 in red flannel, and the 1.15 in blue flannel. It's not ideal but it certainly works (until I confuse the colors).

Similar to what @Chad3 wrote, I was thinking of taking an old shim I made (just an old blade with the edges snipped), labeling the shim with the gap, and then keeping the plate, top cap, and shim loaded together. Less likely to confuse them that way. It's not perfect, but it sounds better to me.

Where do you measure with calipers?

I think it’s smart to get feeler gauges, especially if buying used. The only time I ever got the wrong gap sent to me was directly from James, actually (he replaced it at no cost to me). As far as telling which one is which, I don’t mix and match handles and have them all memorized.

This is certainly a nice problem to have!

A feeler gauge or suitably purposed piece of shim stock sounds good. Alternatively keep the plates in tagged bags. You can get small velvet bags from hobby stores (or buy Oud from Ensar and it comes in a nice red velvet bag). I use the 3x2” ones to store razors and spare handle. That way a new razor could also require a new Oud - sounds good to me.

I think it’s smart to get feeler gauges, especially if buying used. The only time I ever got the wrong gap sent to me was directly from James, actually (he replaced it at no cost to me). As far as telling which one is which, I don’t mix and match handles and have them all memorized.

Good thing that doesn't push any anxiety buttons or anything.... :) I may not get another Wolfman because I am super satisfied with the configuration I have, but part of me just wants to be sure it is what I think it is. I have no reason to suspect I don't have the right gap so this is just chasing my tail. If I were to get another one, I would ask James to engrave the plate with the gap if he still does that.

Top Bottom