What's new

Wolfman Help

Congratulations gentlemen! Getting on list is a great first step!! :a29:

Not to throw sand in the gears, but I also suggest you consider the WR1 SB with 0.74 gap! That’s my daily driver and my favorite razor!!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Congratulations gentlemen! Getting on list is a great first step!! :a29:

Not to throw sand in the gears, but I also suggest you consider the WR1 SB with 0.74 gap! That’s my daily driver and my favorite razor!!

Thanks for the tip. Will keep that in mind. Most of the razors that I have now are mild. My Timeless is a .68 so, perhaps a little more aggressive would be a wise choice. I have a Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 coming today. From what I've read, that's more like a .84 gap. Will see what that feels like on the old mush tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the info from the following Wolf Pack Members and site Guru's: @Hannah's Dad @Graydog @It's Hedley @merovirginian .. I have been reading thru posts for the last few hours trying to narrow down the blade gap to order. Finally made my final decision and settled on the following:
Head: WR2 SB
Gap: 1.25
Handle: WRH2 80mm Hollow
Stand: WRA1
Basic polish on all - May bump it to mirror polish when my number is called.

Also if @JCarr is getting one, I have to have one.. Cheers!

JCarr

Thanks for the info from the following Wolf Pack Members and site Guru's: @Hannah's Dad @Graydog @It's Hedley @merovirginian .. I have been reading thru posts for the last few hours trying to narrow down the blade gap to order. Finally made my final decision and settled on the following:
Head: WR2 SB
Gap: 1.25
Handle: WRH2 80mm Hollow
Stand: WRA1
Basic polish on all - May bump it to mirror polish when my number is called.

Also if @JCarr is getting one, I have to have one.. Cheers!

Just letting you know...checking out their website...I've changed my mind on the configuration half a dozen times. It will not be a boring wait! LOL!

As it stands now:

Head: WR1 SB
Gap: .80
Handle: WRH3 - Hollow - 96mm Length
Stand: None
Finish: Basic polish on head and handle

Last edited:

JCarr

@JCarr What was attractive to you about the WR1?

Blade gap I want is in that head category...right now thinking of getting a .80. I have several razors that fall into the .68ish gap and one that's more around a .84. Was looking for something in between...a sweet spot.

Blade gap I want is in that head category...right now thinking of getting a .80. I have several razors that fall into the .68ish gap and one that's more around a .84. Was looking for something in between...a sweet spot.
If I can add one piece of advice, Do Not let the blade gap of the WR2 frighten you, I would suggest that most wet shavers could use the 1.15 WR2 as a daily driver unless you have very sensitive skin and a light beard. Personally I prefer the WR1 head but I have a WR2 1.45 Ti that gives a very smooth 2 pass WTG,ATG BBS shave and I can use it daily.

What @Shavemd said. The higher gaps on the WR2 are comparable to lower gaps for other razors. If you look on the Wolfman site, you’ll see that James classifies both the .86 WR1 and the 1.25 WR2 as “aggressive.” I actually have both these heads with these exact gaps. Too me, neither is really aggressive—although they both are quite efficient. The .86 WR1 has more blade feel, which some might think of as aggressive.

Just letting you know...checking out their website...I've changed my mind on the configuration half a dozen times. It will not be a boring wait! LOL!

As it stands now:

Head: WR1 SB
Gap: .80
Handle: WRH3 - Hollow - 96mm Length
Stand: None
Finish: Basic polish on head and handle

Great set-up!! Congratulations on your decision!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

If I can add one piece of advice, Do Not let the blade gap of the WR2 frighten you, I would suggest that most wet shavers could use the 1.15 WR2 as a daily driver unless you have very sensitive skin and a light beard. Personally I prefer the WR1 head but I have a WR2 1.45 Ti that gives a very smooth 2 pass WTG,ATG BBS shave and I can use it daily.

+2! Excellent advice! I also prefer the WR1, but the 1.15-1.25 WR2 is also VERY appealing!! :a29:

I am hoping someone can help me understand the difference between the WR1 and WR2. For the WR2 to get the same efficiency as the WR1 it has to have a much larger gap. If that's true then the WR1 must have more blade exposure than the WR2, correct?

With very few razor makers reporting their actual blade exposure, I find it very difficult judge by gap alone how that razor will shave. Reporting gap is fine, but I believe that blade exposure is equally important in trying to judge how a razor will shave.

I would love to hear your comments.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
As a general observation, the WR1 does have more blade exposure than the WR2, and the WR2 is to many the ‘smoother’ shaver (regardless of gap). Preference might come down to aesthetics and/or blade feel.

There’s hours of reading to be done on B&B concerning these razors. I suggest you simply roll up your sleeves, pour a cup of coffee and dig in. :pipe:

With very few razor makers reporting their actual blade exposure, I find it very difficult judge by gap alone how that razor will shave. Reporting gap is fine, but I believe that blade exposure is equally important in trying to judge how a razor will shave.

I tend to go by blade exposure and this is something Wolfman/James likes to keep up his sleeve.

No idea on exposure for WR2 but for WR1:

WR1 details.png

So the standard gap is pretty close to neutral.

I did come across a formula for calculating blade exposure from James, however it is old and he may have made changes since.

"So the standard design in inches is a .024" blade gap (.61mm) and a few customers have gotten a .005" increase to .029" (.74mm) and on this razor according to my personal blueprints for each .005" (0.12mm) change in blade gap it will add or subtract .003" (0.07mm) in blade exposure (that imaginary line tangent to the cap and guard). So you're getting .003 more blade exposure if you go with the same increase others have gotten."

I'll let you figure out the numbers but essentially 0.48 is a reduced exposure, 0.54, 0.61, 0.67 have the 0.1mm/close to neutral exposure, 0.74 and 0.80 steps up and 0.86 is two steps up...

Top Bottom