What's new

Wolfman Conversions

Howdy,

First-time poster, long-time lurker.

I am trying to find the correct blade gap for me as equates to Wolfman WR1 & WR2. From reading previous threads I ordered a WR2 SB in 1.25 and believe it may be a shade too aggressive for me.

The other brand razors I use and work well are:
-Karve B Open Comb
-Gamechanger .68 Open Comb
-Timeless .95 Solid Bar

I'm on the list to order again from Wolfman and trying to figure out what I should chose. I'm wondering if I should go to a 1.15 or 1.05 in the WR2? I also would like to know what the equivalent of say a WR2 1.15 in a WR1?

Even to make things even more exciting (LOL) I'd love to know some conversions on WR1 Open Combs and WR2 Open Combs.

Thanks in Advance for the help!

-Josh

Before getting my WR1 .67 OC, I primarily used my GC .68 OC. I haven't used a Timeless or a Karve.

I think the WR1 .67 OC is smoother and more efficient than my GC .68 OC. I still use the GC as a travel razor and still get great shaves with it, but it takes a bit more work.

I did take delivery of a WR2 1.15 OC today and have only used it once so I can't really offer a comparison there yet.

Howdy,

I am trying to find the correct blade gap for me as equates to Wolfman WR1 & WR2. From reading previous threads I ordered a WR2 SB in 1.25 and believe it may be a shade too aggressive for me.

-Karve B Open Comb
-Timeless .95 Solid Bar

I'm on the list to order again from Wolfman and trying to figure out what I should chose. I'm wondering if I should go to a 1.15 or 1.05 in the WR2? I also would like to know what the equivalent of say a WR2 1.15 in a WR1?

Even to make things even more exciting (LOL) I'd love to know some conversions on WR1 Open Combs and WR2 Open Combs.

-Josh
Put down the Wolfman for 2 weeks and then try it again. You may be fine with your current razors.

Howdy,

-Karve B Open Comb
-Timeless .95 Solid Bar

-Josh
Not an expert by any means, but I suspect the closest WR1 to a 1.15 WR2 would be a 0.6-something. Others might know better. The 0.74 WR1 I believe is more aggressive than the 1.15 WR2.

Gentleman, I genuinely appreciate your input. The feedback gives me direction on some decisions moving forward.

If you can handle Timeless 0.95, WR2 1.25 is a walk in the park.
Former has way more blade feel, WR2 geometry a lot more forgiving.
WR2 1.15 = WR1 0.80 more or less (but very different face feel)
I feel like the WR2 SB has a good amount of blade feel. Quite a bit more than most things I have tried up until now. I don't mind blade feel but if the WR1 is a step above in that department, I'm not sure I'd like that long term.

Before getting my WR1 .67 OC, I primarily used my GC .68 OC. I haven't used a Timeless or a Karve.

I think the WR1 .67 OC is smoother and more efficient than my GC .68 OC. I still use the GC as a travel razor and still get great shaves with it, but it takes a bit more work.

I did take delivery of a WR2 1.15 OC today and have only used it once so I can't really offer a comparison there yet.

The GC to WR1 feedback is something I was really hoping for. My initial plan was to do a WR2 SB then next time around go WR1 OC. With me feeling the WR2 1.25 SB being more aggressive than anticipated I was starting to lean towards doing a WR1 SB. Still not sure but I have preferred OC in my other "keeper" razors.

The 1.15 OC seems pretty aggressive. With the GC I use a .68 OC or .84 SB. Karve I use a B OC and C SB. If you are running a 1.15 OC what would be your choice for WR2 SB?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you have some feeler gauges you could check the 1.25mm gap you ordered if it is close to the gap you wanted, it should be close to the that gap ordered with a blade installed +-.05mm-.07mm or +-.002- .003 thousands of a inch I'm estimating as a retired machinist. You never know what happens when packaging to be sent off with a possible mix up, just thinking out loud.

Gentleman, I genuinely appreciate your input. The feedback gives me direction on some decisions moving forward.

I feel like the WR2 SB has a good amount of blade feel. Quite a bit more than most things I have tried up until now. I don't mind blade feel but if the WR1 is a step above in that department, I'm not sure I'd like that long term.

The GC to WR1 feedback is something I was really hoping for. My initial plan was to do a WR2 SB then next time around go WR1 OC. With me feeling the WR2 1.25 SB being more aggressive than anticipated I was starting to lean towards doing a WR1 SB. Still not sure but I have preferred OC in my other "keeper" razors.

The 1.15 OC seems pretty aggressive. With the GC I use a .68 OC or .84 SB. Karve I use a B OC and C SB. If you are running a 1.15 OC what would be your choice for WR2 SB?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Happy to help! I only have 5 shaves in with the WR2 1.15 OC now and you are right it is more efficient than my WR1 .67 OC.

Shaving with my GC .68 OC was 3 passes with touch ups on my neck to get close to a BBS. I reduced passes to 2.5 ( WTG XTG for cheeks and jawline, and WTG XTG and ATG for neck ) with my WR1 .67 OC. The WR1 is really comfortable and I probably have 100 shaves with it since May so I do not have to pay much attention and get a great shave.

I have 5 shaves with the WR2 1.15 OC and was getting a bit irritated with the 2.5 passes after 2 shaves. I switched to doing only 2 passes and the irritation is gone. I go N-S for the first pass so that translates to ATG for most of my neck area and WTG for cheeks on the first pass. My second pass is XTG cheeks and Jawline and ATG for neck and under the chin and I get the same comfortable shave I get with my WR1. I plan to keep using the WR2 for at least a month so I can figure out how it works best for me.

I prefer OC razors and seem to get better shaves from them. I don't know what to attribute it to, it could be because the OC has a visual reminder to keep light pressure, or my beard type or my wrinkly skin, who knows! lol

At some point I am still going to try the RR GC .84 OC because I get better shaves from my GC .68 OC than I do from my .84 SB.

Edited to answer your question: I have not used a WR2 SB so I can't really say but I would say if most of your keep razors are OC I would stick with OC.

Looking at the Wolfman Wednesday thread the WR2 1.25 SB seems to be a sweet spot for most!

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have and use a WR2 1.15 and a WR1 .74. Both razors are safety bar. I can say that, for me, the overall feel of the WR1 is more aggressive than the WR2. But I wouldn't say it's way more aggressive than the WR2.

Just so you know...I am on the waiting list again...I intend to buy a WR1 .74 OC. That, I think will be the end. 🤣 sorry...made myself laugh.

I own Timeless Ti .95 SB, .95 OC and .68 .
In addition some Blackbird(s) and Carbon CX(s) .

I recently tested WR2 1.15, WR2 1.25 and a WR1 DC with .80 OC - .86 SB

My remarks are;

1- Timeless and WR2 1.15 are close face feel, but Timeless .95 has one notch less blade feel. Effectiveness wise they are equal.

2- WR2 1.15 effectiveness is similar to WR1 .80 OC. But these are different animals. WR2 is like and old caddy glides. WR1 is more like a sport car much more agile.

3- Independent from the GAP, WR1 OC head felt me more comfortable.

4- Effectiveness wise WR2 1.25 is close to Blackbird Standart Plate (Which is my favorite shaving tool).

5- WR1 .80 OC, Carbon CX 1.08 and .68, Blackbird are brilliant under nose. WR2 head geometry is a bit bulky on this discipline.

6- WR2 geometry says; I am comfortable and effective but you must cope with a thicker head.

7- WR1 says: "I don't promise WR1 comfort, but I endorse an agile and effective shave.

8- You might be curious about the face feel of an WR1 .80. I can explain this via Game Changer .84. In my opinion GC.84 seats on a spot between WR1 .67 and WR1 .74. If you are OK as a daily driver with GC.84 and looking for something one notch (or one notch and half) more effective you can go for a WR1 .80.

My remarks are;

1- Timeless and WR2 1.15 are close face feel, but Timeless .95 has one notch less blade feel. Effectiveness wise they are equal.

2- WR2 1.15 effectiveness is similar to WR1 .80 OC. But these are different animals. WR2 is like and old caddy glides. WR1 is more like a sport car much more agile.

4- Effectiveness wise WR2 1.25 is close to Blackbird Standart Plate (Which is my favorite shaving tool).

5- WR1 .80 OC, Carbon CX 1.08 and .68, Blackbird are brilliant under nose. WR2 head geometry is a bit bulky on this discipline.

6- WR2 geometry says; I am comfortable and effective but you must cope with a thicker head.

7- WR1 says: "I don't promise WR1 comfort, but I endorse an agile and effective shave.

8- You might be curious about the face feel of an WR1 .80. I can explain this via Game Changer .84. In my opinion GC.84 seats on a spot between WR1 .67 and WR1 .74. If you are OK as a daily driver with GC.84 and looking for something one notch (or one notch and half) more effective you can go for a WR1 .80.
How would you compare the efficiency of CX vs wolfman and blackbird,thanks

To make Short & Sweet observation about Wolfman Rayors in general is the many custom choices they offer, Metals, Blade Gaps, no one else build Razors offer so many choices. If my observation is incorrect please correct what I said.

My remarks are;

Are the Carbon CX 1.08 and .68 equally effective for you? with a different blade feel?

For me, I have a WR2 1.25 SB, and there really is no contest between it and the Timeless .95. The Timeless was OK, IMO, but the the Wolfman is much more efficient while still being incredibly smooth—with very little blade feel.

I also have a Blackbird, which I like a lot, but I do prefer the WR2. The WR2 is smoother and slightly more efficient, IMO.

CX 1.08 is more effective but there is not a big blade feel difference.
Interesting; I did a cheek-vs-cheek comparison of the ,68 vs. the 1,08 and I found them almost indistinguishable. To me the .68 felt just a bit closer but I definitely preferred the greater blade feel of the .68 so that could have been wishful thinking.

Top Bottom