What's new

Wolfman Blade Gap Question

Anyone care to recommend a gap for the WR2 for someone who uses a Fatboy on "5" or used a Rockwell on 4 mostly? I found a Rockwell on 5 to be too much and used the B plate on the Karve as the C was a bit too much (I didn't really get along with it on either unfortunately). I was going to go with the standard .95, but could consider the 1.05.

(two emails down, one to go :))

If the Karve C and the Rockwell 5 plate are too much for you, I wouldn’t recommend going higher than 1.05 on a WR2.

Another vote for a dual gap .95/1.05 SB. I enjoy a Charcoal Goods level 2 and a Karve C plate so I opted for a 1.05/1.15 SB based on a few recommendations. Custom engraving isn't an option right now, so James puts the higher gap above the logo and the lower gap below.

This will update my OP. My friend has had his Wolfman WR-2 SB razor with a 1.05mm blade gap for about a month now. He bought the highly polished version.

From the time he ordered the razor and received it he also bought a Feather AS-D2 razor.

He loves his new Wolfman razor. He said that he is happy with the blade gap. The razor provides him with a close, smooth shave. He said it is as smooth as the Feather AS-D2 but with the efficiency of a Karve razor. His one "complaint." When the razor arrived he said he snuck it into the bathroom and put it in the draw with his other razors. The first time he used it his wife spotted the razor and he told his wife he had had it for some time, trying to get her to think that he didn't just buy it. That didn't work since in his wife's words he didn't have a razor that looks so new and shiny. When she found out how much he paid for it he had to make peace by bribing his wife with flowers, dining out, and assorted gifts! He said the razor cost him double what he paid for it.

I attempted to get him to lend it to me but he lives in FL and he won't put it in the mail!

This will update my OP. My friend has had his Wolfman WR-2 SB razor with a 1.05mm blade gap for about a month now. He bought the highly polished version.

From the time he ordered the razor and received it he also bought a Feather AS-D2 razor.

He loves his new Wolfman razor. He said that he is happy with the blade gap. The razor provides him with a close, smooth shave. He said it is as smooth as the Feather AS-D2 but with the efficiency of a Karve razor. His one "complaint." When the razor arrived he said he snuck it into the bathroom and put it in the draw with his other razors. The first time he used it his wife spotted the razor and he told his wife he had had it for some time, trying to get her to think that he didn't just buy it. That didn't work since in his wife's words he didn't have a razor that looks so new and shiny. When she found out how much he paid for it he had to make peace by bribing his wife with flowers, dining out, and assorted gifts! He said the razor cost him double what he paid for it.

I attempted to get him to lend it to me but he lives in FL and he won't put it in the mail!
Wow, your friend got himself in hot water over that one. Better but her more shoes, purses and make-up. . What do I know though. Good luck to him!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When she found out how much he paid for it he had to make peace by bribing his wife with flowers, dining out, and assorted gifts! He said the razor cost him double what he paid for it.

But he still has both!

This is a bit late but I compared a Slim to a Wolfman 1.25 here;

1.25mm gap equates to .049". Adding three shims would increase that by around .012" giving a total of .061" blade gap.

I dont have a proper set of feeler gauges but I do have a dime. A Canadian dime is .049" thick and fits tightly under the blade edge of my Slim on 9. From that I'd guess a Slim on 9 is equal in blade gap to the Wolfman 1.25mm but with barely neutral blade exposure.

My Wolfman arrived today. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered a WR2-SB with a 1.25 gap, basic polish, and a WRH2 handle.

FEB42993-2391-4999-AC9E-B0FFFA327455.jpeg

It was an exciting experience to open up the package, for sure. This is my first ultra high end modern razor. It is truly a beautiful instrument. The basic polish is quite nice and exceeds the finish on anything else I own. Regarding the appearance, it exceeds my expectations.

The performance is also excellent. I loaded the razor with a Wizamet Polsilver, lathered up some Grooming Department Tentazione with my Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic, and had an excellent shave. It is an incredibly smooth shaver—matching the smoothness of my British Aristocrat #66 but much more efficient. I’m very happy with the gap so far. Despite the high gap, I think it will be fine as a daily shaver.

My Wolfman arrived today. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered a WR2-SB with a 1.25 gap, basic polish, and a WRH2 handle.

View attachment 1043658

It was an exciting experience to open up the package, for sure. This is my first ultra high end modern razor. It is truly a beautiful instrument. The basic polish is quite nice and exceeds the finish on anything else I own. Regarding the appearance, it exceeds my expectations.

The performance is also excellent. I loaded the razor with a Wizamet Polsilver, lathered up some Grooming Department Tentazione with my Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic, and had an excellent shave. It is an incredibly smooth shaver—matching the smoothness of my British Aristocrat #66 but much more efficient. I’m very happy with the gap so far. Despite the high gap, I think it will be fine as a daily shaver.

Congrats. I have the WR2 1.35 OC, basic polish, also with the WRH2. I can easily use mine every day, though I have to fight the instinct to do so. So many other great members of the razor team deserve playing time...

View attachment 1043658

Beautiful! [emoji1319]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the Karve C and the Rockwell 5 plate are too much for you, I wouldn’t recommend going higher than 1.05 on a WR2.

Thanks...or stick with .95 since I like sharp blades like a Nacet? The one blade I preferred with the 3 plate on the Rockwell was the Nacet. Anyway, I’m sure either gap would be fine...or both!

Finally decided to order the OC 1.15. I suppose being somewhere in the middle is a safe bet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Finally decided to order the OC 1.15. I suppose being somewhere in the middle is a safe bet..
Good idea. I did the same after reading many pages of info on various forums about the 'right' gap.
I like the Karve #D plate (and may get the #E too), and that 1.15 gap with the WR2 seems about right.

View attachment 1043658

Congrats Bud!! Have a great shave & weekend! Enjoy your Wolfman WR2 :)

After shaving with the 1.25 WR2 for a week, I can write back to encourage folks not to fear the higher gaps. The 1.25 is smooth and not aggressive at all. I tried a Feather in it today and was really impressed with this combination. I had an incredibly close and smooth shave.

After shaving with the 1.25 WR2 for a week, I can write back to encourage folks not to fear the higher gaps. The 1.25 is smooth and not aggressive at all. I tried a Feather in it today and was really impressed with this combination. I had an incredibly close and smooth shave.

thanks for the feedback, this is really helping my decision for a wolfman blade gap. I was thinking either the 1.15 or 1.25.

Can I please ask you to compare the 1.25 WR2 gap against the following razors if you have or have used them?

Timeless 0.95 SB SS
Muhle R41 (post 2013)
GC JAWS
Rockwell 6C
Gillette Slim Adjustable

thanks for the feedback, this is really helping my decision for a wolfman blade gap. I was thinking either the 1.15 or 1.25.

Can I please ask you to compare the 1.25 WR2 gap against the following razors if you have or have used them?

Timeless 0.95 SB SS
Muhle R41 (post 2013)
GC JAWS
Rockwell 6C
Gillette Slim Adjustable

I’ll do my best, based on my experience. I haven’t tried the Timeless yet, although I’m signed up for the pass around, so I’ll get to compare them soon enough. I also haven’t tried the Rockwell.

Now for the others.... I love the R41. I don’t think it’s nearly as smooth as the WR2 1.25. Efficiency-wise, I think they are comparable. It did take me a few days to home in on the right angle with the WR2, but once I did, I was rewarded with R41 closeness with a much smoother experience. With the R41, I always have to watch my neck, as it is easy to irritate it with that razor. The WR2 doesn’t irritate my neck at all, despite being extremely efficient.

I’m also a big Game Changer fan and own all of the configurations of the .84. It is a great razor and probably the best value IMO out there now. That said the WR2 is both smoother and more efficient IMO.

Although I don’t own a slim, I do own a Fatboy. While I know there are slight differences, they are in the same ballpark, so here are my thoughts. The Fatboy is a beautiful razor, but even on the highest settings it seems quite mild to me. To me, the comparison between the Fatboy and the WR2 isn’t even close: the WR2 is better in every way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom