What's new

Wolfman Blade Gap Question

Very nice yes 1.15 oops , I kind of like the thought of the hollow handles being lighter.
Not as light as titanium and not as heavy as the standard. A nice compromise. A B&B member suggested the hollow and glad I listened.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate? I signed up for the WR2 1.05 SB, being hesitant about stepping up to the 1.15 SB, even though my research points me there. My preferences are both Karve C plates, both generations of Charcoal Goods level 2, and a Timeless .95 SB with smooth cap, all stainless.
I also like the CG L2, and the timeless .95 solid bar, and I prefer the 1.25 wr2 over the 1.15. It's more efficient and just as smooth for me. I wouldn't hesitate to jump to a 1.15 over the 1.05 if I were you.

I also like the CG L2, and the timeless .95 solid bar, and I prefer the 1.25 wr2 over the 1.15. It's more efficient and just as smooth for me. I wouldn't hesitate to jump to a 1.15 over the 1.05 if I were you.
That’s good to know. I like the Oc versions of the Timeless 95 and CG L2. I was debating between the 105 and 115 OC. From other responses that I’ve read, I think I’m leaning towards the 115. I have a WR1 61 OC and I really like it for times when my face needs a break, but I want something a little more efficient when I order a WR2.

That’s good to know. I like the Oc versions of the Timeless 95 and CG L2. I was debating between the 105 and 115 OC. From other responses that I’ve read, I think I’m leaning towards the 115. I have a WR1 61 OC and I really like it for times when my face needs a break, but I want something a little more efficient when I order a WR2.
I was referencing the solid bar versions of all the razors I mentioned. I've never used any of those in the OC variation. Should have mentioned that on my previous response :)

Hunkered down for the long haul, waiting for my follow up email and invoice. Details follow . . .

Razor Head: WR2-DC Razor Head (Blade Gaps OC 0.95mm SB 1.05mm)

Razor Head Finish: Polished (Basic/Textured)

Handle: WRH2 (90mm (Regular) Solid)

Handle Finish: Polished (Basic/Textured)

Gentleman,

Is there a resource to help a guy choose a handle? The website seems to be hit and miss with pictures to accompany the handle types, and I feel like I have to go on a random google images hunt to track them down.

John

Handle info:

Photos and Info

Helpful comparison pic:

nSxhVmf.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Oh ... ‘it helps’ alright. It helps re-ignite RAD; it helps to create Wolfman fever, lust, envy and several other deadly sins. Thanks alot, James, for your ‘help.’ :07:

So, earlier this week I added myself to the waiting list with an order of a WR2 OC 1.25. I read through this thread several times before ordering and now several times more since. I like what I consider to be aggressive razors and I like open comb plates. I'm not really sure how the blade gaps for one razor maker compare to gaps for another maker. Personally, I think it's like comparing apples and oranges. I don't have some of the razors mentioned above but I have a Rocnel Elite 2019 'A' (Aggressive) though it has a straight bar and the blade gap is 2.10mm, I have a Timeless SS OC with a .95mm blade gap, and a Timeless Bronze OC with a .78 blade gap. If I pair the Timeless Bronze with a Feather blade, that becomes the most aggressive razor I own and if I'm not careful will peel my skin. Paired with a Polsilver blade, it is a bit less aggressive and gives me a very close smooth and efficient shave. The Rocnel and Timeless SS both shave me aggressive and smooth and efficient regardless of blade. I'm hoping the WR2 OC 1.25 will be similarly aggressive and smooth and efficient. I originally created the order for the 1.55 but after reading through this thread again, re-thought it and changed the order to a 1.25. I don't want this razor to be essentially similar to the other razors I have but I also don't want it to be too aggressive and find I don't want to use it. Too costly for that. If anyone owns a WR2 OC 1.25 or 1.15 or other gap and one or more of the other razors/gaps I mentioned above and can offer a comparison, please do. Thank you.

There are numerous Wolfman threads out there, so I thought this would be the most appropriate based on my review today of the Wolfman WR1 Open Comb .86 blade gap. This Wolfman razor was loaned to me by a very nice B&B member who just so happens to have vast Wolfman knowledge. A person who I now have great admiration to for his confidence loaning me the razor, but also his keen insight in knowing what might be a good fit for me personally. To that B&B member, I say thank you. On to the review...

I loaded the WR1 up with a Polsilver blade. A blade that to me is a terrific choice for more efficient razors. It was between the Polsilver and a Feather, but opted for the Polsilver. I own a Wolfman WR2 1.15 Solid Bar razor and have found that it gives great results with both the Polsilver and Feather blades to give you an idea how I chose the Polsilver.

My soap today was the new Grooming Dept Fortis base trial soap (1.31). This was PIF'd to me by the loaner of the razor and I have shared my initial results in the Shaving Soap forum (it is an excellent soap base). I face lathered my first pass, which I typically do not do. I did so to get a good face feel for the new soap. I think this also may have helped with the first pass of the WR1 as it was a good cushion to test the open comb. My first pass with the grain (WTG) with the WR1 let me know a couple of things. One, it is not as smooth as my WR2 SB and secondly, it provides more face feel and audible feedback than the WR2. I suspected this would have been the case based on all the initial reviews I have read about WR1 vs WR2, OC's vs SB's etc.

The blade feel and audible feedback of the WR1 OC .86 after two passes reminded me a bit of my Charcoal Goods level 2 SB, which really sings. The WR1 was not as audible, but a bit smoother than the level 2 CG SB.

The second pass across the grain (XTG) left me nearly BBS, which is a testament to the efficiency of this razor and blade gap. I could have stopped, splashed my aftershave and called it a day.

I opted for a 3rd pass with the Fortis base against the grain (ATG) and was rewarded with as good a shave as one could ever expect or want. I had not a nick, weeper or hint of irritation. Silky smooth BBS was the result.

When I first learned I would have the opportunity to test run the WR1, I thought I might need a week or two to dial it in. I can honestly say it was quite clear early in my shave that I would need just one shave to know this is a special razor. I have found an ideal modern open comb razor in the WR1 .86.

Interestingly, the first Wolfman razor I owned was a WR1 SB .61 with the WRH7 handle. I could not figure that razor out and sold it after a month. Every time I used it I wondered why the Wolfman was so highly regarded. For this razor brand, it is all about finding the head (WR1 vs WR2), the right blade gap, handle and weight and of course, the blade. Once you have found these elements working in synergy, the Wolfman is as good as there is. At least in my book.

If my name should come up on the Wolfman waiting list, the WR1 OC .86 with the hollow WRH2 will be my choice.

IMG_3677.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
There are numerous Wolfman threads out there, so I thought this would be the most appropriate based on my review today of the Wolfman WR1 Open Comb .86 blade gap. This Wolfman razor was loaned to me by a very nice B&B member who just so happens to have vast Wolfman knowledge. A person who I now have great admiration to for his confidence loaning me the razor, but also his keen insight in knowing what might be a good fit for me personally. To that B&B member, I say thank you. On to the review...

I loaded the WR1 up with a Polsilver blade. A blade that to me is a terrific choice for more efficient razors. It was between the Polsilver and a Feather, but opted for the Polsilver. I own a Wolfman WR2 1.15 Solid Bar razor and have found that it gives great results with both the Polsilver and Feather blades to give you an idea how I chose the Polsilver.

My soap today was the new Grooming Dept Fortis base trial soap (1.31). This was PIF'd to me by the loaner of the razor and I have shared my initial results in the Shaving Soap forum (it is an excellent soap base). I face lathered my first pass, which I typically do not do. I did so to get a good face feel for the new soap. I think this also may have helped with the first pass of the WR1 as it was a good cushion to test the open comb. My first pass with the grain (WTG) with the WR1 let me know a couple of things. One, it is not as smooth as my WR2 SB and secondly, it provides more face feel and audible feedback than the WR2. I suspected this would have been the case based on all the initial reviews I have read about WR1 vs WR2, OC's vs SB's etc.

The blade feel and audible feedback of the WR1 OC .86 after two passes reminded me a bit of my Charcoal Goods level 2 SB, which really sings. The WR1 was not as audible, but a bit smoother than the level 2 CG SB.

The second pass across the grain (XTG) left me nearly BBS, which is a testament to the efficiency of this razor and blade gap. I could have stopped, splashed my aftershave and called it a day.

I opted for a 3rd pass with the Fortis base against the grain (ATG) and was rewarded with as good a shave as one could ever expect or want. I had not a nick, weeper or hint of irritation. Silky smooth BBS was the result.

When I first learned I would have the opportunity to test run the WR1, I thought I might need a week or two to dial it in. I can honestly say it was quite clear early in my shave that I would need just one shave to know this is a special razor. I have found an ideal modern open comb razor in the WR1 .86.

Interestingly, the first Wolfman razor I owned was a WR1 SB .61 with the WRH7 handle. I could not figure that razor out and sold it after a month. Every time I used it I wondered why the Wolfman was so highly regarded. For this razor brand, it is all about finding the head (WR1 vs WR2), the right blade gap, handle and weight and of course, the blade. Once you have found these elements working in synergy, the Wolfman is as good as there is. At least in my book.

If my name should come up on the Wolfman waiting list, the WR1 OC .86 with the hollow WRH2 will be my choice.

View attachment 1020520
Great review, Tom!

Thanks, that's nice to know you get great shaves with the OC.86. I'm guessing it's more efficient than the WR2 you have?
That's an excellent question... The WR1 OC 86 may have a slight advantage over the WR2 1.15 SB on initial thought. I shaved today with the WR1 on a single days growth after a day of using my CG level 2, so there was not much to mow down. I suspect the WR1 OC will show its chops and will be a bit more efficient given two days growth, which I plan to do this weekend.

Top Bottom