What's new

Wm. Neumann & Co.

I had read that they were ok, but I can't remember any details. I would like for
someone to chime in with a soap review as I like their aftershaves.

I don't have any Wm Neumann soap, but I have six eight-ounce jugs of their soft shaving creams with pump spouts. They are the biggest and easiest lathering soaps or creams I own. The scents are simply awesome, especially Heartwood, 1907, 1911 and Absolute Zero. (I also have them in the aftershave splash, which is just as good.) If you like sarsaparilla, Old Fashioned Soda is also a great scent. Mantic59 includes the Old Fashioned Soda shaving cream as one of the six products he could not do without.

Some day I'll try the soap, but I'm so darned happy with the creams, I can't believe the soaps can be as good. One squirt, and my scuttle overflows with tremendous lather. An eight-ounce jug seems to last forever. For reference, the other creams that are almost as good for me are Castle Forbes, XPEC and Meissner Tremonia shaving paste.

Have heard great things about their creams, which may be the way to go with Newmann. As far as the soap goes, it is a glycerin soap, while it may not be a bad soap, for the price you may be better off with the cream.

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on some of the scents. Many of their scents sound interesting like the soda one.

I'll also vouch for the creams. Incredible stuff among the best i've ever used. Lasts a long time and the packaging is really sharp. They threw in some bath soap with my last order and it is great as well. I would get the aftershave sampler and that will help you narrow down a scent. There is a good variety so hopefully you find something you like. Once you do that, I don't think there will be any complaints quality wise. Quick shipping and a nice hand written note as well. I'll be ordering more when i'm done with my 1907.

Been a few years since I used a puck, but IIRC my impression at the time was: excellent scents, good but not outstanding performance, and high cost per shave; I think I got around 30 shaves out of a 4oz puck. The creams are excellent and I think a much better value--skip the soap and stick to the cream if you're not averse to it. Love the pump dispenser too; it's by far the least messy way to load.

i have the 1911 soap. Is a big soap, probably will last for years.
It's an amazing glycerine soap, its unique scent is nicer than most of my soaps, veg or tallow. Stellar performance too, don't throw it off because is glycerine, is just as good, or better, as any top shelf soaps. Not inexpensive but i believe it's worth the price.
I should buy their after shave as well, i kept neglecting since i have a ton of other

I stumbled across this brand somehow (a while ago) and scents looked really interesting. Saw this post and searched some old ones.....it broke me and I had to order some to see. I got a 4 oz puck of the 1907 and a 8 oz cream of the 1911 to see if I get better performance from either. Creams are on sale btw if anybody is interested.

Heartwood and Old Fashioned Soda are still on the radar

I stumbled across this brand somehow (a while ago) and scents looked really interesting. Saw this post and searched some old ones.....it broke me and I had to order some to see. I got a 4 oz puck of the 1907 and a 8 oz cream of the 1911 to see if I get better performance from either. Creams are on sale btw if anybody is interested.

Heartwood and Old Fashioned Soda are still on the radar

Let us know your results. 1907 and 1911 are great choices. I suspect you won't be disappointed. My cream protocol is to place one squirt into my scuttle, and add water as needed (in my case, quite a bit). The amount of lather created is voluminous. Don't skimp on the water! And have fun...

Let us know your results. 1907 and 1911 are great choices. I suspect you won't be disappointed. My cream protocol is to place one squirt into my scuttle, and add water as needed (in my case, quite a bit). The amount of lather created is voluminous. Don't skimp on the water! And have fun...

My Neumann's order arrived today. I was delighted so see the freebies when I opened my package. In addition to my order of the 1911 Shave cream and 4 oz puck of the 1907, they included a full sampler of all the aftershaves and a 4 oz bar of the Juniper Berry (I think) bath soap, uhhh, thanks!

Ok, the 1911 cream, scent reminds me very, very much of Musgo Real classic scent, like a whole bunch. I test lathered it since I wanted to use the 1907 soap first, more on that in a minute, lather was easily whipped up in no time with 1 pump from the bottle. I have to say I like their packaging very much. Seemed slick, thick lather and looking forward to using it.

The Neumann 1907 puck, what can I say other than wow, I could shave with this scent every day until I died and be a happy man. Once a soap passes the performance test I have to love a scent to keep it, not like it, love it. I will always have this 1907 in my den - period. I had alot going on tonight so I didn't get a chance to fully dial it in but what I did get was a BBS shave with no irritation. Nuff said, if anybody hasn't tried this brand yet give it a shot. I tried the Heartwood and Old Fashioned Soda from the AS sampler and I will be getting the Heartwood shave soap in some form, jury is still out on the Soda

My Neumann's order arrived today. I was delighted so see the freebies when I opened my package. In addition to my order of the 1911 Shave cream and 4 oz puck of the 1907, they included a full sampler of all the aftershaves and a 4 oz bar of the Juniper Berry (I think) bath soap, uhhh, thanks!

Ok, the 1911 cream, scent reminds me very, very much of Musgo Real classic scent, like a whole bunch. I test lathered it since I wanted to use the 1907 soap first, more on that in a minute, lather was easily whipped up in no time with 1 pump from the bottle. I have to say I like their packaging very much. Seemed slick, thick lather and looking forward to using it.

The Neumann 1907 puck, what can I say other than wow, I could shave with this scent every day until I died and be a happy man. Once a soap passes the performance test I have to love a scent to keep it, not like it, love it. I will always have this 1907 in my den - period. I had alot going on tonight so I didn't get a chance to fully dial it in but what I did get was a BBS shave with no irritation. Nuff said, if anybody hasn't tried this brand yet give it a shot. I tried the Heartwood and Old Fashioned Soda from the AS sampler and I will be getting the Heartwood shave soap in some form, jury is still out on the Soda

Woo hoo! I'm glad you like them (only because I perceive that my tastes are odd, and like to find fellow travelers...). I used to have Musgo Real classic shaving cream, but PIF'd it. Whatever its scent was, all I recall was that it was very faint, almost evasive. I don't have that sense with the 1911. I also love the 1907, which sends a subtle plum scent to my nose. I'd forgotten that Bill sends freebies with his orders--such a nice surprise, especially the AS samples! To my nose, the Old Fashioned Soda is a novelty scent, kind of like licorice or cognac, not a daily use product. The Heartwood is fabulous--I've now bought a full bottle of the aftershave and two jugs of the cream. Carry on!

Woo hoo! I'm glad you like them (only because I perceive that my tastes are odd, and like to find fellow travelers...). I used to have Musgo Real classic shaving cream, but PIF'd it. Whatever its scent was, all I recall was that it was very faint, almost evasive. I don't have that sense with the 1911. I also love the 1907, which sends a subtle plum scent to my nose. I'd forgotten that Bill sends freebies with his orders--such a nice surprise, especially the AS samples! To my nose, the Old Fashioned Soda is a novelty scent, kind of like licorice or cognac, not a daily use product. The Heartwood is fabulous--I've now bought a full bottle of the aftershave and two jugs of the cream. Carry on!

Funny you say that about the Musgo comparison, to me it's the opposite. Musgo Real classic is the more "obvious" strength wise although the 1911 is still very detectable. The Musgo, in comparing it to the 1911, is a bit more earthy or grassier. Nonetheless, I am very happy with my purchase from Neumann and I will certainly be coming back for the Heartwood and more 1907.

By the way, as I understand it, the 1907 and 1911 scents (or perhaps only one of them--I can't remember) are named after scent recipes from those dates created by Wm Neumann, a druggist in Michigan at the time, and the grandfather of the current owner. If true, the recipes are truly special.

this upcoming week i plan to use the old fashioned soda cream with that pump top dispenser.
usually i use one pump drizzled over the brush which is good for 2 passes...then i use half pump on the brush for the third pass.

smells like rootbeer and works nicely....clogs the razor a bit though and takes extra soaking to clean it up.

Reviving this thread, as I’m totally bummed...

I used to have six jugs of Wm Neumann shaving cream, but now I’m down to two. What’s wrong with that, you ask?

He’s no longer making shaving cream, at least according to his website. I used Absolute Zero this morning, and had one of the best lathers in recent memory. And Wm Neumann shaving cream is the easiest lather to make that I’ve ever experienced, bar none, and I’ve used over a hundred soaps and creams.

I’m bummed.

Top Bottom