What's new

Wizamets rust-prone?

I bought a 250-pack of wizamets some months back from wizashave and recently brought them back Into my rotation to see how I liked them, and I've been kind of digging the scratchy feedback and sharpness. I have had a couple of them rust in the medicine cabinet where I like to store a few blades, which isn't something I've ever noticed with Derbies, GSBs, Platinums, or Feathers before.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I keep a good amount of blades in the bathroom, in their tucks and either in an open ziplock or small plastic dish. No problems but my overall humidity is relatively low ~50%.

I bought a 250-pack of wizamets some months back from wizashave and recently brought them back Into my rotation to see how I liked them, and I've been kind of digging the scratchy feedback and sharpness. I have had a couple of them rust in the medicine cabinet where I like to store a few blades, which isn't something I've ever noticed with Derbies, GSBs, Platinums, or Feathers before.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I keep my razor blades stored in Ziploc bags and have had no issues with any of my blades rusting. I have some gallon Ziplocs that I keep my bulk blades in and then a couple of small Ziplocs with various open tucks that I keep in a drawer in my bathroom. I like to switch things up. I often use a Wizamet for 7 days straight. I rinse my blades after each shave and then place them back into my razor. I have never noticed rusted blades in my razors.

Reactions: Kix
I’ve never had a stainless blade rust, but if you’re worried, throw them in an airtight container with some silica packets. I keep open tucks in a small canister they sell adult flowers in with a small silica packet, and long term storage for 100+ packs in ziplock with silica. But I’ve also gotten 30+ year old tucks from members here that likely were not stored that carefully and zero issues.

Excessive humidity can cause rust issues with razor blades. A few Wilkinson blades I stored in the medicine cabinet formed some rust, some years ago. Since then, I don't store them in the medicine cabinet any more.
You may have better luck storing them in zip lock bags in a dry location.

I don't have Wizamets but assume that any of the blades will eventually form some sort of rust. I live in Florida! Humidity here is legendary and I yet to see any of my blades rust.
I keep them in their original wraps till they get used and under the sink cabinet. Plus we have air conditioning that keeps the humidity under control. I also switch blades after 3 uses so they don't stay outside long enough to rust.

I keep some blades in the bathroom, and yes sometimes I got one and another with a few dots of rust. Mostly the ones that were "forgotten" for some years.

There are some types of stainless steel like 316L which have a very high resistance to corrosion. However, due to high chromium content and low carbon content, it cannot be sharpened. Razor steel is a stainless steel made with a lower chromium content and a higher carbon content such that it can be sharpened. However, due to the lower chrome, razor steel has limited corrosion resistance. Thus, while is is subject to less staining than carbon steel, it is far from rustproof.

If you live in a humid area, keeping razor blades in the bathroom for an extended period is not a great idea. A sock drawer or something similar would be a more suitable storage place.

Reactions: edw
The only blades I’ve ever had rust were a half tuck of Astra SP. They were stored in my travel dopp kit under my sink and forgotten about. Self explanatory.

When I discovered them likely 3 years after they had been left in there they had minor tea stains.

I keep my bulk storage blades in a dresser drawer and only a tuck at a time in the bathroom.

Reactions: edw
Upon closer inspection, it might just be gunk from the wrapping that went bad. Or maybe I shaved with it and put it back in its wrapper and forgot about it? Will try a fresh one tomorrow, thanks all for the advice!

Top Bottom