What's new

Wizamet adjustable RAD strikes again

Hello

Does anyone own one of these? Just bought one from auction site and was hoping to get a little history on this razor.
Will post pics when I get home tonight.

Cheers
John

Here it is.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

It looks almost like a Knack adjustable. I'm guessing it's from 70's or maybe early 80's. I can't find out much about Wizamet's history though. It's coming from Ukraine so I probably won't see it for at least 3-4 weeks.

Cheers
John

I am probably forgetting some Wizamet pre-history, but Wilkinson Sword was contracted by the Polish government to build their first factory in the late 1960s. They sent a team of engineers over to train personnel too (this was probably standard for WS clients).

The first Wizamet razors were probably designed by Wilkinson because a razor was mentioned in a couple of old press releases (or trade journals) I have run across. However, I am not sure if that particular model--the W-11--was designed by Wilkinson, and my guess is that it probably was not because the design is so derivative. And frankly, Wilkinson stopped making nice looking razors in the 1950s. My guess is it was designed in house.

I am probably forgetting some Wizamet pre-history, but Wilkinson Sword was contracted by the Polish government to build their first factory in the late 1960s. They sent a team of engineers over to train personnel too (this was probably standard for WS clients).

The first Wizamet razors were probably designed by Wilkinson because a razor was mentioned in a couple of old press releases (or trade journals) I have run across. However, I am not sure if that particular model--the W-11--was designed by Wilkinson, and my guess is that it probably was not because the design is so derivative. And frankly, Wilkinson stopped making nice looking razors in the 1950s. My guess is it was designed in house.

Thanks for the information. I seem to remember Gillette buying them out as well. Can't wait till it gets here.

Cheers
John

Maybe I will bring some more light as well :)

Wizamet was a Polish company, located in Lodz (Łódź)
The shortcut is almost correct in Alex's post:
Widzewskie Zakłady Metalowe - Wizamet which could be translated:
Widzew's Metal Factory - Widzew is a district of Lodz.
In 1992 it was bought by Gillette.

Wizamet has been producing safety razors and razor blades.

Regarding blades most popular was:
Polsilver Stainless (the batch that has been produced using "76" norm which is 1976 - 1984 was one of the best blades ever made)
Polsilver Iridium
Polsilver Super Iridium (currently produced in Petersburg)

Regarding razors they have produced different models, out of which 3 were extremely popular in Polish community (bolded):

P-1 Junior (3 pieces - made in 3 different versions - a) fully aluminum with rounded pins, b) aluminum handle with zinc alloy head and flat pins and "open slots", c) the same as b) but with "closed slots")
W-1 Junior (P-1 head with plastic handle)
W-2 Junior (almost the same as W-1)
W-3 Junior (TTO - fully plastic)
W-5 (TTO - plastic handle - half of the head in metal)
W-6 Senior (plastic + metal TTO) - made in 2 different versions - with corrugated handle and with smooth handle)
W-10 Elegant (metal TTO adjustable, GSA clone)
W-11 Elegant (plastic + metal TTO, adjustable) - made in 2 different versions - with corrugated handle and with smooth handle)The one you have posted is: W-11 Elegant with smooth handle.

Below you could find some pictures (all razors owned by me, most - NOS). I have as well W-10 but forgot pics. But just simply search for Wizamet W-10 in Google and you will see it :)

Hope it helps :)

Wizamet P-1 Junior
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wizamet W-3
proxy.php

Wizamet W-5
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wizamet W-6 Senior smooth handle
proxy.php

Wizamet W-6 Senior corrugated handle
proxy.php

Wizamet W-6 Senior smooth vs corrugated
proxy.php

Wizamet W-11 Elegant smooth vs corrugated

proxy.php

Wizamet W-11 Elegant smooth handle
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wizamet W-11 Elegant corrugated handle
proxy.php

proxy.php

Maybe I will bring some more light as well :)

Wizamet was a Polish company, located in Lodz (Łódź)
The shortcut is almost correct in Alex's post:
Widzewskie Zakłady Metalowe - Wizamet which could be translated:
Widzew's Metal Factory - Widzew is a district of Lodz.
In 1992 it was bought by Gillette.

Wizamet has been producing safety razors and razor blades.

Regarding blades most popular was:
Polsilver Stainless (the batch that has been produced using "76" norm which is 1976 - 1984 was one of the best blades ever made)
Polsilver Iridium
Polsilver Super Iridium (currently produced in Petersburg)

Regarding razors they have produced different models, out of which 3 were extremely popular in Polish community (bolded):

P-1 Junior (3 pieces - made in 3 different versions - a) fully aluminum with rounded pins, b) aluminum handle with zinc alloy head and flat pins and "open slots", c) the same as b) but with "closed slots")
W-1 Junior (P-1 head with plastic handle)
W-2 Junior (almost the same as W-1)
W-3 Junior (TTO - fully plastic)
W-5 (TTO - plastic handle - half of the head in metal)
W-6 Senior (plastic + metal TTO) - made in 2 different versions - with corrugated handle and with smooth handle)
W-10 Elegant (metal TTO adjustable, GSA clone)
W-11 Elegant (plastic + metal TTO, adjustable) - made in 2 different versions - with corrugated handle and with smooth handle)The one you have posted is: W-11 Elegant with smooth handle.

Below you could find some pictures (all razors owned by me, most - NOS). I have as well W-10 but forgot pics. But just simply search for Wizamet W-10 in Google and you will see it :)

Hope it helps :)

Wizamet P-1 Junior
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wizamet W-3
proxy.php

Wizamet W-5
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wizamet W-6 Senior smooth handle
proxy.php

Wizamet W-6 Senior corrugated handle
proxy.php

Wizamet W-6 Senior smooth vs corrugated
proxy.php

Wizamet W-11 Elegant smooth vs corrugated

proxy.php

Wizamet W-11 Elegant smooth handle
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wizamet W-11 Elegant corrugated handle
proxy.php

proxy.php
Nice, are these all your razors?

Bardzo dobra informacja, będę musiał znaleźć takie maszynki dla siebie :) I fajnie że jest więcej Polaków

Top Bottom