What's new

with the grain

After a drink, I started to think, why shave first with the grain if it is so unproductive. On my cheek, where one against stroke will do the job, what's the point of potential irritation if I can just begin with against the grain, then, across the grain. What's the wisdom?

Hi,

if your skin can take the "only once and against the grain" approach, you are fine and as far as I can tell also a bit of an exception.

For most people, including me, anything else than a with the grain first to reduce the stubble will result in heavy irritation. I guess this is from the razor having too much to deal with.

So in fact I would say that the first pass with the grain is actually the one that takes the most stubble with it and is therefore the most productive. All subsequent passes reduce the remaining stubble step by step, but the biggest take is with the first one.

Just my 2 cents,
-Axel-

I always shave against the grain on every pass (or that is my intention), but my whiskers grow in differ directions so I inevitably shave with the grain sometimes.

I usually do 2 to 3 passes each time I shave, but I don't get ingrowns or razor burn. I shave in the shower which I think helps with both.

But it all comes down to what ever works for you best.

P

PortsmouthDavid

I agree with Axel. I think most people turn to wet shaving because modern multi-blade razors irritate their faces, and all the more so when shaving against the grain. Hence the focus on beginning the shave by going with the grain.

If shaving against the grain doesn't cause trouble for you, fine - go for it. But many gents find that it is only through gradual reduction of the beard, starting with the grain and maybe then moving into cross-grain strokes, that delivers a comfortable shave.

For myself personally, even though I have an extremely thick, tough beard, I primarily shave with the grain only (not even cross grain, let alone into the grain). I find it takes a bit more time and more strokes, but it causes a lot less irritation to my absurdly and ridiculously sensitive skin.

But - as they say - different strokes for different folks.

-- David

Myself, I only shave against the grain once a week. Although my beard's very heavy and tough, I still get a great shave if I do a one pass shave with the grain. I shave with and then against the grain on my neck every morning, but never on my cheeks more than once a week. It's rare that I'll do any cross-shaving, unless I use my straight razor, whenever I use it, I'll do 2 N-S passes, which I find cleans up my cheeks just beautifully. I go against the grain only with my Merkur Vision, but again, ONCE a week!

Jeff

xcubbies said:
After a drink, I started to think, why shave first with the grain if it is so unproductive. On my cheek, where one against stroke will do the job, what's the point of potential irritation if I can just begin with against the grain, then, across the grain. What's the wisdom?
I think you basically answered your own question. For most people, against the grain with long whiskers is sure to produce irritation.

The razor scoops under the hairs and rides down them like a ramp. The long hairs tend to be more resistant and you apply more force to cut them. If you cut down to skin, the added force and acceleration towd the skin by the riding under the hairs takes the razor out of your control and produces early irritation. Irritation is cumulative and just keeps getting worse.

Compare this to gentle reduction of the beard without cutting to skin. If you don't go to skin you're not irritating it. By the time you get to go against the grain you're down to a fine stubble, which you can handle with a light touch and there's no irritation.

The types of passes you do matter more than the number. If your skin is tough enough to let you cut long whiskers against the grain, great. Bu most people aren't that lucky. However, since you mention irritation, It would suggest that it may be a problem for you.

If you have a sharp razor and are maintaining a cutting angle, it's impossible not to cut whiskers with the grain. So, I don't understand why you consider it unproductive. The pass may leave some stubble, but that doesn't make it unproductive. It probably removes a great deal of hair with little effort.

i have been shaving with a mach 3 for years using a brush and the trumper or taylor products... how much "better" of a shave would i get with a DE razor and which one should i get ..thanks

grj said:
i have been shaving with a mach 3 for years using a brush and the trumper or taylor products... how much "better" of a shave would i get with a DE razor and which one should i get ..thanks
How good is your shave with the M3? From your point of view, is it close enough- does it stay clean long enough for you? Is it irritation free? What are you looking for?

Realize that the DE requires a commitment. You will have to learn technique. It won't be a no-brainer like the M3. And while you're learning the shaves may be worse. When you do learn the technique it will even make your M3 shave better.

Joe Lerch said:
Realize that the DE requires a commitment. You will have to learn technique. It won't be a no-brainer like the M3. And while you're learning the shaves may be worse. When you do learn the technique it will even make your M3 shave better.

Very well said.

The same logic can be applied when comparing a slant bar to a regular DE razor. After having spent a weeks worth of shaves with the slant, I went back and revisited my HD. The HD shaves were better than they had ever been before. A lot (though not all) of good technique can be beneficially shared from razor to razor.

Unfortunately, a lot of that breaks down when you start using a str8. It won't shave without some pressure, and when I come back to the DE I need to consiously make adjustments.

As an experienced DE user, you might prefer a Feather AC. It has the feel of a DE as far as the pressure goes and is much sharper than a str8. Also, you don't have to learn stropping/honing.

DE shavers aren't good candidates for a str8, because it takes a while to get a good shave and you can do so much better with the DE before everything comes together.

Top Bottom