What's new

Witch hazel

My skin won't tolerate alcohol based aftershaves. Thus, I use witch hazel. I use either Dickenson's or generic store brands; they are very similar. I wet my hands, add a few drops of witch hazel and apply it to my face. If I get a good shave, the witch hazel application will be uneventful. If I get any sting, I know something went wrong with my shave.

I've never used it, never felt I need ANOTHER product in my shaving routine. I use pre-shave, soap, alum if needed, aftershave and/or a balm. I'm cool with that. No need to add witch hazel.
I have read that the tannines dry out the skin, which in turn causes rash or acne. Not something I'm willing to pay for.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I realize that scents are heavily subjective, as we all perceive scents differently, based on personal taste. Having said that however, what is everyone's opinion, on what brand they think, makes the best smelling witch hazel solutions? Cause we know Thayer's is not the only brand out there, there is also Humphrey's for example. Who do people feel makes the best smelling witch hazel's?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use it as an aftershave, before moisturiser. Astringent, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. My skin likes it, and so do I. :)
As do I. But I use Thayer's toner with aloe and no alcohol. I've been using it for at least 5 years. I suppose the short answer is that it works for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I love rose too. I use T&H Rose shaving cream and GFT Coral skin food. What I didn't care for was Thayer's idea of rose witch hazel.
Ah.... Thanks for the heads up my friend!

It is amazing to me just how bad some folks can mess up my favorite scents!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Well, if I can slip it past the lovely War Department, my next purchase will be a bar of Yardley Rose soap.... I'm thinking of mixing some up with Arko, and maybe Yardley Lavender and Arko too!

Hi Dave!

Since you like rose scents, and all that flowery goodness, might I recommend Stirling's Queen Of Hearts bar and shave soap? Its a real hit with the ladies, and may make your handsome face smell too good for the war department to resist.

1664138771700.png
1664138792689.png

They also have a body butter, for the ladies who like their skin supremely smooth all the time...

1664138847806.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Based on the responses in this thread, I'm definitely in the minority.

Don't feel too bad about that, not everyone is gonna be into what everybody else is. Don't forget, we traditional wet shavers are only among the 1%. 99% of folks consider wet shaving a chore they would rather not do. Your still part of the club, even though you don't like Witch Hazel, and thats OK.

While I enjoy splashing on witch hazel after a shave, for the feeling, I do tend to question whether any sort of post-shave astringent is necessary or useful. I know it is the received wisdom and I was always told to use an aftershave, but there is nothing but soap everywhere throughout the shave and I have never heard of anybody actually getting an infection from a shaving nick or a weeper. I wonder if this idea is just a hand-down from the days people shaved with straight razors, when they might get proper cuts and the water was not necessarily clean.

While I enjoy splashing on witch hazel after a shave, for the feeling, I do tend to question whether any sort of post-shave astringent is necessary or useful. I know it is the received wisdom and I was always told to use an aftershave, but there is nothing but soap everywhere throughout the shave and I have never heard of anybody actually getting an infection from a shaving nick or a weeper. I wonder if this idea is just a hand-down from the days people shaved with straight razors, when they might get proper cuts and the water was not necessarily clean.
I think there's wisdom in what you say. I have no real idea why I continue to use alum after almost every shave. Probably habit and who doesn't like rubbing salt into their own wounds?

Top Bottom