What's new

Witch hazel

So this may be a dumb question, but several people here have suggested using witch hazel post shave... Any special way to do it? Just splash it on? Use some cotton balls? Put some on your hands and rub it on?

I'm a splasher as well. I just put a small puddle in the cup of one hand, rub it on both palms and give my face and neck a good rub down. It's really the same as any other aftershave in terms of use. It's just that unlike other bases for aftershave products it'll give you astringent properties, which tighten but witch hazel it's self is also somewhat soothing despite the tightening effect. Thayer's which is a popular brand of AS witch hazel also has aloe in a lot of formulas which helps moisturize the skin. So it will tighten up the skin, sooth redness from a tough shave with out dehydrating the skin. I tend to use it more this time of year, it was 7 degrees on my way out the door this morning and an alcohol based AS can dry out the skin which the single digit temps is doing all on it's own just fine.

Put some in my palm, rub hands together and then rub over my face and neck. Easy peasy!

Yup... Easy peasy! To help get the right amount out of the bottle I make a small hole in the protective foil seal rather than peeling it off entirely. A long time ago I would use a small baby bottle and let the nipple help regulate the flow of witch hazel b

Yep. Pour a bit in your hands and wipe on. I keep some in the desk drawer at work if I get a touch of razor burn. It puts any sting right out.

Me, I can't leave well enough alone.

I have a Jack Daniels shot glass that I put upside down on my bottle of Witch Hazel.

Immediately after my shave and I have dried my face, I add Ten Drops of a Menthol consentrat to the shot glass and add perhaps a Tsp of the Witch Hazel to it.

Then I pour into one palm, then rub them both together and rub over the skin of my face and neck. This does get those areas nice and "Wet" during the process.

I let it dry while cleaning my gear and then it is time for my Bay Rum!

I call this the "Icy Hot" method of post shave bliss.

Me, I can't leave well enough alone.

I have a Jack Daniels shot glass that I put upside down on my bottle of Witch Hazel.

Immediately after my shave and I have dried my face, I add Ten Drops of a Menthol consentrat to the shot glass and add perhaps a Tsp of the Witch Hazel to it.

Then I pour into one palm, then rub them both together and rub over the skin of my face and neck. This does get those areas nice and "Wet" during the process.

I let it dry while cleaning my gear and then it is time for my Bay Rum!

I call this the "Icy Hot" method of post shave bliss.

That sounds wonderful.

I'm a scalp splasher. I pour a bit into my left hand and splash it over my scalp. I use both hands to rub it around, then I let it air dry most of the way. Follow it up with a CWR and some balm, and I'm good to go!

Top Bottom