What's new

Witch Hazel

I bought a bottle of Dickinson's today and man, you guys werent kidding about the smell. Very unpleasant. I was planing on using it after showers/shaving, but now I am not so sure. Im thinking about putting this stuff on BEFORE I shower/shave, then just go about my usual routine. Is this pointless?

I don't think there's any point in putting it on before you shave, but I put some on after shaving and before showering (obviously, this implies that you have to shower after shaving). I just give it a minute or so to dry before jumping in the shower, that way it has time to do its thing.

When I first started using WH I found the scent unpleasant, but now it doesn't bother me. I also find that it fades pretty fast. SWMBO, on the other hand, does not like it. On the rare occasions when I don't shower right after shaving, she always points out the smell.

yeah I always laugh a little to myself when I read that people like the smell, it's so bad to me! I really don't notice it doing anything for me post shave, i much prefer alcohol

Hi guys, tried a qucik search but didn't find the answer...
Is there a difference between (for example) Thayers WH Astringent and Thayers WH Toner?

If so, could someone explain?

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly sure that Witch Hazel is naturally both an astringent and a toner.

So no, I don't believe there is a difference, although the astringent version may contain a higher alcohol content, making it more 'extra strength,' as it were.

I don't know how they make alcohol free since I believe the witch hazel is extracted using alcohol. maybe it's just much less than the regular strength version. I use the Thayer's original with aloe, it has alcohol but it's something like 14% so it doesn't sting at all. I also really love the smell of it, kinda like tonic water or bitters, like brinaK said, I wonder if you could drink it?? would be great with some gin :)

Don't skip the postshave moisturizer if you have dry skin. Witch hazel is pretty mild, but it does usually contain alcohol as others have noted.

Thanks all, I got some Thayers Unscented Alcohol-Free WH Lotion.
Have only used it twice so far, and not really sure yet if it's doing anything special.

What I have found though, is that I need a really good moisturiser - my skin dries out ALOT after shaving with 'proper' shave creams (used to only shave with the running water from the shower).

Do you have to order Thayers online?

No, but some of the best deals are online. I have bought it at GNC and Vitamin Shoppe as well as some natural food stores. However, the prices are usually better online.

I have used Thayers for a long time and find that it is a remarkable product.

Do you have to order Thayers online?

You can get better prices online but, considering the actual cost, if you want to go to a B&M you can go to their website. Go to "store locator" at the top of hte page, and it will tell you of retailers in your area.

Never had a problem. I use the cheapest stuff I can find because I use it generously. I transfer it into an old Tobasco bottle which works very well. It always soothes my face after my usually aggressive shaves ( I always shave for BBS results). After shaving I splash on a couple of handfuls and kind of gently massage it into my neck and face (no cotton balls in my den.). For me it serves as an aftershave that ultimately has no smell. Since I wear cologne that is the result I want. I tried Thayers. For me, it sucked. It's tacky on your skin. Many others have said the same thing.

It has an earthy kind of smell that I got accustomed to early on. Besides, it dissipates so quickly that even if one finds the smell offensive (you know, you "sensitive types" :lol:), the very temporary discomfort of smelling it is negligible. It's good stuff. I'ts old school, like me. It's been around and perennially popular for a simple reason: It's a good value and it works. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I don't know how they make alcohol free since I believe the witch hazel is extracted using alcohol. maybe it's just much less than the regular strength version. I use the Thayer's original with aloe, it has alcohol but it's something like 14% so it doesn't sting at all. I also really love the smell of it, kinda like tonic water or bitters, like brinaK said, I wonder if you could drink it?? would be great with some gin :)

We do tinctures etc where I work, they could extract it using alcohol, then they replace the alcohol with glycerin. That is the way we do alcohol-free here anyway.

This thread is making me want to try witch hazel.

I just use the generic grogery store brand (Krogers) and doesn't seem to have a smell.. ran it past the wife and she couldn't smell anything either.

I never heard of WH until I came here. Picked up a bottle of Dickinsons. Wow, great stuff ,very soothing. Smell dissipates very fast. Me likey very much.

Does anyone know the difference of Dickinson's blue label vs the yellow label...at Walmart. I noticed they have a yellow label saying it's a facial toner, and they have a blue label in the first aid area. They both have the same 14% alcohol. Just not sure if a difference in performance can be expected or if it's just marketing.

Does anyone know the difference of Dickinson's blue label vs the yellow label...at Walmart. I noticed they have a yellow label saying it's a facial toner, and they have a blue label in the first aid area. They both have the same 14% alcohol. Just not sure if a difference in performance can be expected or if it's just marketing.

Has anyone tried the blue label Dickinson's?

Been using the Thayers Unscented and find it not sticky at all. It has absolutely no scent and is alcohol free. Great stuff. A lot cheaper through Amazon. Even with shipping ended up costing 1/2 the price of b&m.

Top Bottom