What's new

Witch Hazel, particularly Thayer's, is the most misleading fraud on wet shavers

I have a question that is almost off topic. Why does anyone use WH after a shave? What is it suppose to do for you?

Here’s why:

According to the FDA though it has to be 50% or greater concentration to deliver these effects, thus this thread existing pointing out Thayers appears it may not be even close to the threshold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use it after every shave to close the pores and keep my face from breaking out. It also helps with my oily skin.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I use WH after a shave because it is known to reduce irritation/inflammation of the skin and work as an astringent to tighten the skin, slowing down bleeding.

Well from that article the only thing it helps that is shaving related is "broken skin". I don't see a need for it at all. It tightens the pores but why do that?
Witch hazel does have quite a few benefits as an aftershave.

Astringent - it tightens the skin. That can help with small weepers or scratches.

Reduces irritation - if you have redness or razor burn, WH can cool and calm your skin. Reduces itching, if you are prone to that after shaving.

Antiseptic - helps to avoid infections.

Feels good - refreshing.

About closing the pores - your pores will close slowly on their own. But, some people are prone to acne and ingrown hairs when shaving. WH can help keep the skin clear.

It seems to me, if a person has their technique down pretty good there would be no need for witch hazel except in rare cases. If you don't irritate your skin or get nicks you probably don't need it. I find an aftershave such as Speick to be very refreshing in that department.

It seems to me, if a person has their technique down pretty good there would be no need for witch hazel except in rare cases. If you don't irritate your skin or get nicks you probably don't need it. I find an aftershave such as Speick to be very refreshing in that department.
Speick has witch hazel in it, along with some other healing ingredients.
:smartass:

Yes but WH is not the main ingredient. The other stuff like the speick plant is what makes it great.
The witch hazel is a pretty significant ingredient, just looking at the list. Bear in mind, the ingredients are listed in order by highest concentration. Alcohol and water are not really healing ingredients, so what comes next in the list?
Ingredients. Alcohol, Aqua, Hamamelis Virginiana Leaf Water, Sorbitol, Glucose, Mannitol, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Citrus Limon Peel Oil, Parfum, Lactic Acid, Menthol, Camphor, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

I don't the the Speick people put it in there for no good reason.

It's totally optional to use witch hazel on its own. No one is forcing it on anyone else.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use Thayers astringent, lavender, and rose, after some shaves but not all, just whenever I feel like it. I do not need to use it, but I do lots of things I do not need to; I do not need preshave or aftershave, I do not need to shave at all. I use Thayers because it feels good and I want to, and that is reason enough. This time next year I may not use it at all because I no longer wish to. Maybe it is nothing more than scented water, but I do not care in the least. It is possible to overthink these things.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using it after every shave for about 6 years - Thayer's no alchohol w/aloe. I use for the same reason I use anything else - because it works for me. I follow it with moisturizer, but I have dry skin.

I never use after shave, so it's possible I wouldn't use the WH and the after shave. I'd have to test the results.

Certainly if someone believes it benefits them they have a reason to use it but I wonder what benefits they get?
People on the thread tried to explain the benefits, such as:
  • antiseptic
  • reduces irritation
  • reduces itchiness
  • tightens skin
  • helps keep skin clear of blemishes
  • feels nice
You keep saying people wouldn't need those benefits if they had perfect technique. But at the same time, you receive some of these benefits yourself when using Speick. Nobody is perfect.

:confused1 😖 :confused:

People on the thread tried to explain the benefits, such as:
  • antiseptic
  • reduces irritation
  • reduces itchiness
  • tightens skin
  • feels nice
You keep saying people wouldn't need those benefits if they had perfect technique. But at the same time, you receive some of these benefits yourself when using Speick. Nobody is perfect.

I just asked a simple question, what benefits does one get from WH? It seems the answer is it "feels good".

I just asked a simple question, what benefits does one get from WH? It seems the answer is it "feels good".
  • antiseptic
  • reduces irritation
  • reduces itchiness
  • tightens skin
These are not benefits? These benefits are what people generally use an aftershave for. One could use WH alone as an aftershave.

If you don't think they are benefits, don't use WH. Simple.

Top Bottom