What's new

Witch hazel in Japan?

Thanks to any ladies and gents in Japan who read this post, and to anyone with experience in Japan. First question: is it true that witch hazel is difficult to find in Japan?

I may find myself in Japan before too long, and I can only bring so much of the stuff with me. Google searches led me to two products that sound promising, and two more questions. Has anyone tried either of these? Has anyone seen either product in Japan?

Disclaimer: Both of these products are linked back to kenko.com where I found them. However I have no connection with that site and am not endorsing it.

Bijinnuka Junmai Water for Oily Skin

Ingredients: Water, Denatured alcohol, BG, DPG, Hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) distillate, Rice bran extract, Hamamelis extract, Burdock extract, Pyridoxine HCl, Hyaluronic acid Na, Rosemary extract, Rosa multiflora extract, PCA-Na, Proline, Lactic acid Na, Sorbitol, And Brown algae extract, Red algae extract, Rose water, Allantoin, Aminocapronic acid, Ethanol, Polysorbate 20, Methl Paraben.

Moistage Essence Lotion

Ingredients: Water, Ethanol, Carrot extract, Hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) distillate, PEG-20, Dipropylene glycol, PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil, Glycerin, Dimethicone Copolyol, Sodium citrate, Menthoxypropanediol, Citric Acid, Propylene glycol, Paraben.

Both products are sold as skin toner, which is a good description of witch hazel. Both ingredient lists mention witch hazel too, although it is a little low on the list. They might end up working more like an aftershave that contains witch hazel: Speick ASL, for example. That could still be nice.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. If you have any information about using these products as aftershave, and about their availability in shops in Japan, I would appreciate it. For reference, the bottles are supposed to look like this:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Bad form to follow up on my own post, but another try with google discovered this:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/ja...-japan/106176-where-buy-witchhazel-tokyo.html

I found witchhazel and many other western products at American Pharmacy in Marinouchi building across from Tokyo Station.

The same discussion mentioned amazon.jp as a source for witch hazel, and I see Dickinsons and Thayers available there. The prices are a bit high, but....

If I see those other products I may still try them, too.

I spend eight weeks every year in Tokyo, and in the past few years have taken the time to search around for some shaving supplies. I haven't seen the two products that your research found but I have found unbranded generic witch hazel in a few 100y shops. It's always placed with the women's makeup and cotton balls, things like that. Also, if you haven't tried it before Lucido aftershave is great and cheap when you find it locally. I've found it in Seibu and Don Quijote department stores.

Top Bottom